• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam Audio connection question

Chaconne

I have only an unbalanced connection option for my Adam Audio T5V speakers (no balanced output option). The manual says to set the Input Switch to -10 dVB when using an unbalanced connection. But what happens if I flip the switch to +4 dBV? Or what happens if I use an unbalanced cable with an RCA-to-XLR adapter then set the switch to +4?

I'm asking only because with the unbalanced connection and -10 dBV setting, I have to turn the gain up fairly high (as you can see), which induces a bit of noise (not a huge problem, but still...). THANKS!

IMG_3401.jpeg

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have only an unbalanced connection option for my Adam Audio T5V speakers (no balanced output option). The manual says to set the Input Switch to -10 dVB when using an unbalanced connection. But what happens if I flip the switch to +4 dBV? Or what happens if I use an unbalanced cable with an RCA-to-XLR adapter then set the switch to +4?

I'm asking only because with the unbalanced connection and -10 dBV setting, I have to turn the gain up fairly high (as you can see), which induces a bit of noise (not a huge problem, but still...). THANKS!

View attachment 165827
Normally setting the sensitivity to +4dBu means that you would need to increase the input gain even more to get the same output level as you have with -10dBV (if using the same type of connection and input signal).
I.e. -10 dBV setting should be more sensitive than the +4dBu setting - this is actually why -10 dBV setting is recommended for unbalanced connections, since unbalanced connections usually have lower signal levels vs balanced ones.

OP
C

Chaconne

Got it! Thanks so much. (I'm a newbie when it comes to active speakers, though definitely an oldie in terms of hifi!)

Top Bottom