• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADAM Audio A series 2022

Buddser

We, frankly, do not know. Chances are they're okay, if nothing special.

Don't place them vertically. They're designed to be horizontal.

Nothing wrong with DSP, multiple manufacturers use it. Not all do however.
Unfortunately I don't have space to place them horizontally... But I'll try to figure out how can I do that.
About DSP, them convert audio signal in 96 kHz. But my apogee symphony can play in 192 kHz, I realise, that there is no files in such quality, but still ) it feels like I limiting my audio interface by buying this monitors. Maybe not, I definitely need to listen them for a while )
I have read a lot about Adam A8H, feels like they must play fine (I mean they are a 3-way monitors, in my mind a good monitor must be a 3-way, the construction itself of the monitors must be well constructed, the speakers must be good and reliable).
I tried to find a reviews, but found only one on this site (https://estradaistudio.pl/testy/sprzet-studyjny/1967-adam-audio-a8h-aktywne-monitory-trojdrozne), they worship it. Its on polish, but in our days we can use online translators.
Strange that only one review I can find on the topic. Maybe you saw a few more.

DevinCortno

We, frankly, do not know. Chances are they're okay, if nothing special.

Don't place them vertically. They're designed to be horizontal.

Nothing wrong with DSP, multiple manufacturers use it. Not all do however.
Adam T series measured very well... I would expect the A series to actually be pretty special at their price point, unless some major unforced errors were made. T series did have me thinking Adam has decided their "house sound" is bright treble so they've shelved up their tweeters.. hopefully they haven't done that here

Unfortunately I don't have space to place them horizontally... But I'll try to figure out how can I do that.
About DSP, them convert audio signal in 96 kHz. But my apogee symphony can play in 192 kHz, I realise, that there is no files in such quality, but still ) it feels like I limiting my audio interface by buying this monitors. Maybe not, I definitely need to listen them for a while )
I have read a lot about Adam A8H, feels like they must play fine (I mean they are a 3-way monitors, in my mind a good monitor must be a 3-way, the construction itself of the monitors must be well constructed, the speakers must be good and reliable).
I tried to find a reviews, but found only one on this site (https://estradaistudio.pl/testy/sprzet-studyjny/1967-adam-audio-a8h-aktywne-monitory-trojdrozne), they worship it. Its on polish, but in our days we can use online translators.
Strange that only one review I can find on the topic. Maybe you saw a few more.
If you can't fit the A8H in the proper orientation, don't buy them and just go with A7V. Monitors don't have to be 3 ways to be good... it certainly helps but a well implemented 2 way system still sounds very good, especially when you compare a properly set up 2 way to an incorrectly positioned 3 way.

Sampling rate of DSP doesn't matter, don't pay attention to it. You can't hear anything up there, the DSP isn't doing anything up there, and the room correction certainly isn't either... don't waste computer resources & storage space by running above 48khz. In some cases it will actually degrade sound quality as out-of-band tweeter breakup that would be avoided with lower sample rates causes audible distortion. High sample rates are all marketing with absolutely zero practical use cases, and there never will be any, either

Subjective reviews are useless, pay no attention. The measurements on Adam's site will be more helpful than anything any subjective reviewer anywhere on the internet says.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Subjective reviews are useless, pay no attention. The measurements on Adam's site will be more helpful than anything any subjective reviewer anywhere on the internet says.
They don't have any spins though. And product reviews by actual owners can be very useful in in identifying warts at times... e.g. there's one complaining about the level of buzz emanating from the S2Vs (which seems to be substantially more annoying than the regular hiss).

Buddser

Adam T series measured very well... I would expect the A series to actually be pretty special at their price point, unless some major unforced errors were made. T series did have me thinking Adam has decided their "house sound" is bright treble so they've shelved up their tweeters.. hopefully they haven't done that here

If you can't fit the A8H in the proper orientation, don't buy them and just go with A7V. Monitors don't have to be 3 ways to be good... it certainly helps but a well implemented 2 way system still sounds very good, especially when you compare a properly set up 2 way to an incorrectly positioned 3 way.

Sampling rate of DSP doesn't matter, don't pay attention to it. You can't hear anything up there, the DSP isn't doing anything up there, and the room correction certainly isn't either... don't waste computer resources & storage space by running above 48khz. In some cases it will actually degrade sound quality as out-of-band tweeter breakup that would be avoided with lower sample rates causes audible distortion. High sample rates are all marketing with absolutely zero practical use cases, and there never will be any, either

Thank you, for your reply.
I can’t refuse and don’t buy them ) because their on it’s way now, somewhere close to my city, I think in a few days they will be at my home. And their price was really good, I think if their sound in my room will be awful and I can’t listen them, I will sell them for little less money. So, I decided to try them anyway.

Buddser

As a listener, I can tell you my subjective opinion about Adam A8H. I compere them with Yamaha HS8.
I hear detailed highs, more low bass, wider scene.
A found a few new details in every song/melody that I heard (like clap or hi-hat - or another additional sounds, that I haven’t heard on my Yamahas). Sometimes those additional sounds looks like a mistake while recording or mastering, but still, I like to understand that music produced by people and not by machines.
Bass become more readable, I can hear notes instead of hum.
I placed them horizontally as they intended. I like their appearance, more than yamahas.
So I like them very much, this is my first impression (after a few days of listening them), I hope that after a while I will not change my opinion.

Attachments

• 763FC1A2-EF29-482F-96EA-D4A748E2C8C9.jpeg
    763FC1A2-EF29-482F-96EA-D4A748E2C8C9.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 149

DevinCortno

Measurement reports are up on Adam's site for the whole new A series. FR is maybe smoothed a bit too much but otherwise they have the full set.. dispersion, spectrogram, THD measurements, etc.

On a quick glance it looks very good! So good I think a A77H is my new center channel...

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

Attachments

• 2023-01-09 16_25_30-adam-audio-a-series-a44h-studio-monitor-measurement-report-v2-english.pdf.png
    2023-01-09 16_25_30-adam-audio-a-series-a44h-studio-monitor-measurement-report-v2-english.pdf.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,961
  • 2023-01-09 16_25_30-adam-audio-a-series-a44h-studio-monitor-measurement-report-v2-english.pdf.png
    2023-01-09 16_25_30-adam-audio-a-series-a44h-studio-monitor-measurement-report-v2-english.pdf.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 55

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
CC @pierre see if you can digitize these.
I doubt they can be used to calculate a Harman score though as the directivities are given as isobars and not as individual measurements or early reflection and sound power measurements.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Wow. A8H is not great.

DevinCortno

Wow. A8H is not great.
You should probably elaborate on comments like that... it looks fine. Great, even. 3 way with DSP room correction, quite linear on-axis and very high output capability with low distortion, all for that price, excellent... not as good as the KH 310, of course, but 310 cost more than 1.5 times a A8H, each. Horizontal dispersion is not as clean as maybe it could have been but it's a studio tool so it basically doesn't matter compared to on-axis .....

dfuller

Major Contributor
You should probably elaborate on comments like that... it looks fine. Great, even. 3 way with DSP room correction, quite linear on-axis and very high output capability with low distortion, all for that price, excellent... not as good as the KH 310, of course, but 310 cost more than 1.5 times a A8H, each. Horizontal dispersion is not as clean as maybe it could have been but it's a studio tool so it basically doesn't matter compared to on-axis .....
The dispersion is a mess. As far as whether or not it matters in a studio: it does, just less so. If you're moving side to side at all though it's a mess.

Fnord23

Looking at the measurements, is the A7V a good deal? To me they seem good but I don't know much about that stuff, except that the frequency measurement looks good to me, and the port issues seem to be much less apparent then in the smaller ones (?)

So far they seem to match my criteria of size, prices, front-portedness and eq possibilities. I want to use them for production, mixing and mastering in my small but treated home studio room, without a sub.

Appreciate your help.

Last edited:

guy soundy

I recently got the A44H and I like it, but I want too make it sound perfect for voices (as a center speaker usually does) what room adaption options works best for it? Pic related is where the speaker is placed with a something underneath the front to point it slightly more upwards. Room is small btw.

Attachments

• image_4_342621.jpg
    image_4_342621.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom