• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADAM Audio A series 2022

SMAC88

Considering all these months and after Kemmler3D's post and Amir's A4V review I'm starting to think that Adam didn't do any proper measurement on the new A series... I have the A7V and they sound good to me but I won't be surprised to see a postman panther once reviewed.

I see Adam playing the Hype card, posting useless reviews and pseudo producers shout out. That's a big no for me :) anyway, let's hope Amir can get his hands on it.

Dwaalzin

Hi there! I have been reading this thread for some time now. The measurements for the new A-line have not been posted online but my pre-ordered A8H's will be delivered soon. Anybody else pre-ordered the A8h's? I wonder if the Sonarworks integration is live already: did anybody with A7V or 77H got it working by now?

SMAC88

Hi there! I have been reading this thread for some time now. The measurements for the new A-line have not been posted online but my pre-ordered A8H's will be delivered soon. Anybody else pre-ordered the A8h's? I wonder if the Sonarworks integration is live already: did anybody with A7V or 77H got it working by now?
Nothing on their site yet.

Dwaalzin

Tried the A control software with my a8h's and I have to say it works really well. I always find the Sonarworks graph to be a bit to flat in the low-end regions so I hope that the new versions brings some sort of customization where I can add a 1/3dB low shelf through the software.

ccc118

The delays with the release were starting to get frustrating, but I'm really glad it's finally available, even if it's just a beta version and not the full one yet. I've been using it the last couple of days and it really works well and is making things so much easier.

A control has been pretty stable, but I tested out Sonarworks for a while and I'm finding it a bit buggy. I had it crash several times when I tried switching from speakers to headphones. The measurement process is very detailed, but there were some frequencies that it wasn't cutting enough. I might try doing the measurement process again incase I wasn't being consistent with the mic. It was a big improvement over not having any adjustments, but I ended up coming up with settings in the 6 band parametric EQ that are working better for me, so I will probably just end up using that. I used REW for this and being able to hear the adjustments on the speakers and run a sine sweep again to double check the results was a bit help, as I had some things I had to keep adjusting. Also, the ability to have separate settings for each monitor is really useful.

I'm hoping they add some sort ability to put the monitors to sleep in a future update. Right now you can mute them in the software, but no sleep mode yet.

kopczas

I tested out Sonarworks
So after applying Sonarworks correction will it be saved in speakers internal storage or is it necessary to stay connected via network all the time?
I'm hoping they add some sort ability to put the monitors to sleep in a future update.
There is info about sleeping mode in user manual indicated by LED so my guess it should be added soon.

ccc118

So after applying Sonarworks correction will it be saved in speakers internal storage or is it necessary to stay connected via network all the time?

There is info about sleeping mode in user manual indicated by LED so my guess it should be added soon.
Yes, once it's loaded onto the speakers and then saved, it just stays on the speakers and you don't have to be on the network unless you want to change something or control something (such as muting or the volume level). In the software you can also toggle between the parametric EQ, Sonarworks, and back plate modes to compare.

I just redid my Sonarworks measurement and this time i used a mic stand so I could maintain the same height and try to be more consistent. I ended up getting much better results. I checked the results in REQ and I had to manually reduce a few problematic frequencies that I always have trouble with a little bit in Sonarworks, but otherwise I like the results much better.

MagicJones

So, I'm new here and found this forum searching about how to put my A7Vs into sleep mode. I had no idea the A control software was so new. Makes sense.
I received my A7Vs a few days ago which replaced my A7Xs which I have been using soffit-mounted for 10 years in a treated control room. When I was researching the A7Vs and saw the Sonarworks integration, I thought it was brilliant, so I took the leap and bought both Sound ID and the monitors. Good news is - the A7Vs work great. They sound well into "good enough" to mix with. The A-control software works, though I really hope they update it with a way to put them to sleep, as the monitors are in my walls with no way to reach around to turn them off from the back-panel. I made the mistake of assuming that would be the case due to the "pulsing green light = sleeping" in their manual. Anyway... Sonarworks SoundID works well, and with a little bit of massaging the resulting EQ, has made my room sound much better. There is a problem, though, and I hope it's user-error on my end, but here's the deal:

When I got the SoundID EQ curve sounding as good as I could, I exported it from Sonarworks, and imported it using the A-Control software into my A7Vs. I then selected the "SoundID" logo in A-Control to implement what I had imported. I then made sure I had turned off the Sonarworks desktop plugin, and played a well-known song. What came out of the A7Vs was absolutely not representative of what the SoundID using the Desktop software had sounded like. It was so bad, I was sure I had made a mistake, so I went through the process again, following directions provided by Adams in their Youtube video, and came to find out that I had not done anything wrong, I don't think. The translation between the way the SoundID Desktop software sounds and Adam's A7V's interpretation of the SoundID, wasn't even close. Even after going through the export / import process 3 times, though the process went flawlessly, unfortunately, the resulting sound was unlistenable. I'm curious as to others experience using SoundID with the A-series, but I haven't been able to find anything on the Internet so far.

This whole experience hasn't made me want to return anything I've bought yet, as the A7Vs sound great themselves (and even better with SoundID running on my Desktop). I realize this software is new, and have confidence Adam will make the appropriate upgrades in time. I had no problems with the A7Xs for the decade I used them, and the A7Vs seem like great replacements. It's still too early for me to tell if they could be considered "upgrades", but if they can get the native A7V translation of SoundID to actually sound like it does with Sonarworks Desktop software, that will definitely be an upgrade.

Anyway... I'll probably create a Youtube video of this experience soon. I hope this was helpful.

kopczas

Hello,
Did you try to manually put data from Sonar`s curve into A-Control`s EQ?

ccc118

So, I'm new here and found this forum searching about how to put my A7Vs into sleep mode. I had no idea the A control software was so new. Makes sense.
I received my A7Vs a few days ago which replaced my A7Xs which I have been using soffit-mounted for 10 years in a treated control room. When I was researching the A7Vs and saw the Sonarworks integration, I thought it was brilliant, so I took the leap and bought both Sound ID and the monitors. Good news is - the A7Vs work great. They sound well into "good enough" to mix with. The A-control software works, though I really hope they update it with a way to put them to sleep, as the monitors are in my walls with no way to reach around to turn them off from the back-panel. I made the mistake of assuming that would be the case due to the "pulsing green light = sleeping" in their manual. Anyway... Sonarworks SoundID works well, and with a little bit of massaging the resulting EQ, has made my room sound much better. There is a problem, though, and I hope it's user-error on my end, but here's the deal:

When I got the SoundID EQ curve sounding as good as I could, I exported it from Sonarworks, and imported it using the A-Control software into my A7Vs. I then selected the "SoundID" logo in A-Control to implement what I had imported. I then made sure I had turned off the Sonarworks desktop plugin, and played a well-known song. What came out of the A7Vs was absolutely not representative of what the SoundID using the Desktop software had sounded like. It was so bad, I was sure I had made a mistake, so I went through the process again, following directions provided by Adams in their Youtube video, and came to find out that I had not done anything wrong, I don't think. The translation between the way the SoundID Desktop software sounds and Adam's A7V's interpretation of the SoundID, wasn't even close. Even after going through the export / import process 3 times, though the process went flawlessly, unfortunately, the resulting sound was unlistenable. I'm curious as to others experience using SoundID with the A-series, but I haven't been able to find anything on the Internet so far.

This whole experience hasn't made me want to return anything I've bought yet, as the A7Vs sound great themselves (and even better with SoundID running on my Desktop). I realize this software is new, and have confidence Adam will make the appropriate upgrades in time. I had no problems with the A7Xs for the decade I used them, and the A7Vs seem like great replacements. It's still too early for me to tell if they could be considered "upgrades", but if they can get the native A7V translation of SoundID to actually sound like it does with Sonarworks Desktop software, that will definitely be an upgrade.

Anyway... I'll probably create a Youtube video of this experience soon. I hope this was helpful.
I noticed that the default setting under limit controls in Sonarworks is a max boost of 12db. When exporting to the Adam format, the default is with no boost, as that's what Adam recommends. Double check that when you're listening to it on the computer, you don't have a boost applied, as that will make it sound quite different. Mine sounds pretty good on the speakers (after manually going back and further cutting a few frequencies a bit more and then re-importing), so I didn't think to compare to how it sounds through the computer. I can try to compare mine when I get a chance.

buscon

It is funny, I am exactly in your situation, I am also a previous owner of the A7X for about 10 years, I now sold those speakers and received the A7V yesterday :D

Thanks a lot for your report.
I did test it on my side and I cannot find the problem you describe. The translation of the Sonarworks profile seems to be pretty the same on the speakers and on the software.

Did you leave all the settings as they are in default?
Could it be related to volume? Sonarworks does a -10db in the software, while on the speaker Adam suggest to leave it at 0db, could that be the difference you hear?

behappybevegan

Mixingtable.com pimped the A7v

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

HattedSquirrel

@MagicJones Have you remembered to put the speakers into "Pure" mode and set all filters to the 0 positions before doing the Sonarworks measurement?
If you have any of the speaker's filters active during the measurement the SoundID plugin will correct against the filter and hence sound decent. But once you upload the exported profile all filters in the speaker get deactivated and your profile suddenly becomes invalid since it tries to correct against filters that are no longer active.

behappybevegan

So I've asked Adam Audio 3 questions.
1 Will there be a true 3-way vertical model.
2 Will the measurements be published and if so when.
3 Will you sent the A77H to asr to be tested.

Their answers >
1 We don't currently have plans for a dedicated three-way vertical monitor at this time.
2 We will be publishing the measurements for the entire A Series line very soon.

Question 3 was not answered. I think they saw the review of the A4 and thought 'naah let's not do that'.

Buddser

Hi, anyone has an information about Adam A8H, are they a good choice or not?
I ordered them to replace my Yamaha HS8, and hope that they will play much better than yamahas, what do you think?
I also want to place them vertically, does anyone have such experience? does it have an effect on sound?
also what do you think about DSP, as I understand they convert analog sound to digital and then to analog again (I’m not into all this staff), but do every modern monitors do the same or only adams?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hi, anyone has an information about Adam A8H, are they a good choice or not?
I ordered them to replace my Yamaha HS8, and hope that they will play much better than yamahas, what do you think?
I also want to place them vertically, does anyone have such experience? does it have an effect on sound?
also what do you think about DSP, as I understand they convert analog sound to digital and then to analog again (I’m not into all this staff), but do every modern monitors do the same or only adams?
We, frankly, do not know. Chances are they're okay, if nothing special.

Don't place them vertically. They're designed to be horizontal.

Nothing wrong with DSP, multiple manufacturers use it. Not all do however.

Top Bottom