• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TrickyMoreira

Hi All,

Just found that Adam Audio has finally released their A-Series Monitor Measurement Reports. I'm specifically looking at the A7V's.

Some people have mixed reviews on these; while others love them. As I'm not an engineer, some of these graphs are quite foreign to me.

I make house and electronic (semi-bass-heavy) club music, and am seriously considering purchasing a pair of the A7Vs; but would love your scientific (and real world) opinions.

Adam Audio Measurement Link: https://www.adam-audio.com/content/...dio-monitor-measurement-report-v2-english.pdf

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
My opinion? Meh. If you're doing bass heavy music you would do very well to get a sub (or, ideally, 2) on top of whatever else you buy.

OP
TrickyMoreira

TrickyMoreira

My opinion? Meh. If you're doing bass heavy music you would do very well to get a sub (or, ideally, 2) on top of whatever else you buy.
I appreciate that; the only issue is that I have a small (open) living room type of space in a condominium; so I'm currently opting for headphones to judge the low-end. I would kill my neighbours with two subs, and hear that subs are not good for smaller rooms/areas. If in the future I can relocate, I will definitely add a sub to the mix. Any opinion on the A7V measurements or monitors in general?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am positively surprised by the honesty of their measurement paper:

UNR Frequency Response
The UNR voicing is typical of the historical ADAM Audio sound and is also found in the AX Series. The bass and treble are significantly boosted, and the 2-5 kHz region has been suppressed slightly. The UNR setting is useful when listening for pleasure and is not recommended for critical listening where accuracy is the highest priority. Port resonance also occurs when using this setting, but as described in the PURE comments, it is insignificant in most listening environments.

MadMaxx

I've got a pair of the A7V and the Sub 8 for my PC audio system. Best audio purchase I've made in at least 10 years. I don't do any production or engineering. I just listen to music and play games on my PC. Imaging is impressive and I hear details I never knew were there when I used passive speakers like the LS50 Metas and SVS 3000 Micro sub. I sold them after just a few days with my Adams.

PXL_20221213_203325434.jpg

Last edited:
OP
TrickyMoreira

TrickyMoreira

Am positively surprised by the honesty of their measurement paper:

UNR Frequency Response
The UNR voicing is typical of the historical ADAM Audio sound and is also found in the AX Series. The bass and treble are significantly boosted, and the 2-5 kHz region has been suppressed slightly. The UNR setting is useful when listening for pleasure and is not recommended for critical listening where accuracy is the highest priority. Port resonance also occurs when using this setting, but as described in the PURE comments, it is insignificant in most listening environments.
The UNR setting is for listening to music (as opposed to producing, mixing and mastering). It’s their more colourful setting which sways from it being flat for the purpose of dancing in your living room

OP
TrickyMoreira

TrickyMoreira

I've got a pair of the A7V and the Sub 8 for my PC audio system. Best audio purchase I've made in at least 10 years. I don't do any production or engineering. I just listen to music and play games on my PC. Imaging is impressive and I hear details I never knew were there when I used passive speakers like the LS50 Metas and SVS 3000 Micro sub. I sold them after just a few days with my Adams.

View attachment 265002
Awesome. I love their ribbons which is why I’m seriously considering them. Production-wise I’m wondering if it’s a reliable and transparent set. Man, those are expensive “computer speakers” you got there! ;)

3125b

Major Contributor
There seems to be a rather nasty resonance at the 630-ish Hz mark, similar to that at just over 1kHz in the T4V. Their smoothing disguises it just a little bit, but for a rather expensvie monitor that is quite the blemish. Wouldn't surprise me if that too is a port issue, Adam doesn't seem to be able to figure front-facing ports out.

Last edited:

mj30250

There seems to be a rather nasty resonance at the 630-ish Hz makr, similar to that at just over 1kHz in the T4V. Their smoothing disguises it just a little bit, but for a rather expensvie monitor that is quite the blemish. Wouldn't surprise me if that too is a port issue, Adam doesn't seem to be able to figure front-facing ports out.
Yes, they address it:

1. A very narrow dip at 650 Hz is caused by the port organ-pipe resonance. This type of dip is commonly seen in many loudspeaker designs, including the previous AX Series. There are ways to remove it but, as with everything in loudspeaker design, it is a trade-off between conflicting performance features. The acoustical cost of removing the resonance is increased wind noise due to higher turbulence in the port. Listening tests have shown the port resonance to be inaudible in most listening environments as the resonance has such a short decay. This is illustrated in the waterfall plot further down.

3125b

Major Contributor
Indeed they do - but that seems like a lame excuse more than anything.

First, that issue isn't "commonly seen in many loudspeaker designs", certainly not in mid-level nearfield monitors. The AX did indeed have the same issue, that doesn't make it any better.
And of course the cost isn't necessarily increased wind noise, plenty front-ported monitors with properly designed ports without wind noise out there, even for less money.
Their waterfall plots don't show what the Klippel does, and I'm more inclined to believe the latter.

The port design on the AX was bad, and this complete redesign hasn't fixed it.

Ajax

Forum Donor
I have a pair of the original A7s, which I purchased over 10 years ago. I used them as desktop speakers connected with my computer via a Benchmark HDR DAC1. When driven with a well recorded source such as B&W Society of Sound recordings the sound was stunning.

My son is a musician and currently employs them in his recording studio. So after all that time still going strong.... wonderful build quality and reliability.

Highly recommended.

OP
TrickyMoreira

TrickyMoreira

I have a pair of the original A7s, which I purchased over 10 years ago. I used them as desktop speakers connected with my computer via a Benchmark HDR DAC1. When driven with a well recorded source such as B&W Society of Sound recordings the sound was stunning.

My son is a musician and currently employs them in his recording studio. So after all that time still going strong.... wonderful build quality and reliability.

Highly recommended.
Appreciate the longevity aspect!

audiogeek

Highly recommended.
Are these the A7s you have. They have less adjustment features for the amps, are ported in the rear, and cost $500 less at $250. There is an 8" woofer version for $300. I was thinking of getting a pair for my bedroom. I have been looking online for measurements but no luck yet. I am also willing to try blue tooth monitors if someone could suggest a quality product at a reasonable price.

Ajax

Forum Donor
I think you have your model numbers confused..... easy to do.

Mine are the original A7, with the port and volume control at the front, they are about 12 years old and discontinued.

The A series have better components and were more expensive than the more recent V series, although Amir likes the T5V a lot.

I would have thought either the T5V or the T7V would be perfect for a bedroom - depends on size and your desire for base - add a Topping D50S DAC and an inexpensive wifi streamer such as a chrome cast audio and your good to go (you will loose some quality with bluetooth).

audiogeek

I think you have your model numbers confused..... easy to do.

Mine are the original A7, with the port and volume control at the front, they are about 12 years old and discontinued.

The A series have better components and were more expensive than the more recent V series, although Amir likes the T5V a lot.

I would have thought either the T5V or the T7V would be perfect for a bedroom - depends on size and your desire for base - add a Topping D50S DAC and an inexpensive wifi streamer such as a chrome cast audio and your good to go (you will loose some quality with bluetooth).
Thanks for pointing out my error. And thanks for the links. I enjoyed reading the T5V thread and its on my Amazon list. I checked out that DAC you recommended as well.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
I consider bying Adam Audio A7V for my desk and I wonder how capable are A7V in LF department without resorting to subwoofer. 44hz from a 7-inch woofer sounds a bit inadequate. Hedd Audio Type 07 Mk2 would be a no-brainer however numerous complaints about its loud self noise are not encouraging, mildly speaking.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Xibal

View attachment 265002
Hi, as far as i know they are active speakers with no sub out, can i ask how did you connect the subwoofer?Rca splitter?Thanks

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Top Bottom