• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam A5X Review (Powered Studio Monitor)

panther

Wondering when using XLR and a pre amp (RME ADI-2 DAC FS on order) do you still need to set the volume control on the actual speakers themselves. I believe the stereolink only works with RCA for matching the volume.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Wondering when using XLR and a pre amp (RME ADI-2 DAC FS on order) do you still need to set the volume control on the actual speakers themselves. I believe the stereolink only works with RCA for matching the volume.
practically you should not need the speaker volume, but TBH I would like to have the stereolink in function. RCA vs XLR in most case isn't practically worse, but the volume matching and ease of on the fly adjust volume is a big plus to me

panther

practically you should not need the speaker volume, but TBH I would like to have the stereolink in function. RCA vs XLR in most case isn't practically worse, but the volume matching and ease of on the fly adjust volume is a big plus to me
I was having ground loop issues through my K5 pro with rca out and the RME gives me the option of XLR for the speakers and rca out for my sub (if needed). I tried a Bifrost 2 dac and it’s super loud when I have volume at 100% in windows and move the Adam volume pot slightly. I guess I’m hoping the RME will give me some more fine tuning with its volume knob as a pre amp.

Petr Srakyn

Would be interesting to get the A7X(or A8X) in for a comparison - they both use simpler round port design, curious how much this changes things, if at all.
adam a8x
1638130702050.png

Petr Srakyn

very nice actually! this is with EQ or not? the dip is so minimal I won't bother, and bass and treble is behaving so well
-4,5 db hight shelf and -4,5 db low shelf. This is the standard position of the regulators.
1638161459624.png

Reactions: Zvu

toothpaste

Maybe this is a stupid question but if you used a subwoofer with a5x say with a crossover frequency of 80hz, would this make port resonance less of a problem? Or is the resonance actually the sound generated by the woofer (a higher frequency) resonating in the port?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Maybe this is a stupid question but if you used a subwoofer with a5x say with a crossover frequency of 80hz, would this make port resonance less of a problem? Or is the resonance actually the sound generated by the woofer (a higher frequency) resonating in the port?
It would not, it's the latter.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would not, it's the latter.
Would it be fine to assume that with a sub, the overall output and air blasting out of the ports should be milder, in turn reducing the eventual interference with produced soundwaves and hence slightly alleviating the port resonance?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Would it be fine to assume that with a sub, the overall output and air blasting out of the ports should be milder, in turn reducing the eventual interference with produced soundwaves and hence slightly alleviating the port resonance?
No, it wouldn't, because the resonance dip in the upper mids is more like the effect of blowing across the top of a beer bottle and getting a tone.

toothpaste

how about the effect of SPL on that resonance? is it linear? i.e. does the listening level make it considerably worse in proportion to the rest of the spectrum?

skyfly

Can anyone test scientifically? We can just send 20Hz - 100 Hz to A5X, and see whether we measure some mid frequency noise. If yes, that mid frequency problem will be reduced by sending low frequency to subwoofer.

respice finem

Major Contributor

Mardari Alexandr

Hello. I have a proposal. Phase inverter port could be of non-constant geometry. Like hourglass. Such design of ports were used in some old Dynaudio products and in several main monitors. It is hard to produse and tune such port. But hourglass port has no any resonanses, holds 3 times higher air speed than regular port. It is not literally like hourglass, 10% of change could be enough. If we take piece of plastic with 5-7mm thickness and file, let's make it smoothly thinner from the ends. Next, glue inside the phase inverter on the widest edge. Now You have port of non-constant geometry. You can simulate the process using free BASSPORT software. Port tuning frequency will go lower, but not dramatically, several Hz. But it will reduse group delay in low frequences also, make more clarity as effect. With subwoofer added You will have more than enouth lows.
Or
You can plug holes with foam and get strait linear responce from Adams A5X with no low frequences, no group delay, but possibly have overheating problems with more than 1/2 volume level.

SlowCar

I am currently using Adam A7X - can You recommend speaker that will be significant step up over them? Can be also passive.

Top Bottom