• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam A4V Monitor Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 141 54.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 86 33.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters

Nuclear

In my humble experience if it gets better in 5-10-20 minutes after powering the monitors on - it very likely can be fixed by replacing capacitors. I fixed hiss on two occasions like that - it was much more apparent upon having just turned the monitors on and then it gradually disappeared. But right now I have hum and channel imbalance and those don't seem to self-improve over time, so I still need to find someone to look into them.
Mine has a different problem I guess. Everything works and then all of a sudden there is static on one of the speakers and it gets a LOT louder and distorted. I thought it was a similar problem but it seems to be something else. It won't ever go away unless I turn the speakers off for a day and then turn them on again. It will then work again for a random amount of time until the problem happens again! Whatever the case I hope your new speakers are awesome and you have a happy new years! I'm going to upgrade my speakers also for new years!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Sounds like a bad solder joint or bad resistor either on one of the power amps or at or around one of the opamps in the crossover or before (basically, the feedback loop goes open). If you can verify that it's not just the woofer or the tweeter that's doing it, that would narrow things down a fair bit. That's the kind of problem that takes seconds to fix but hours to find, I'm afraid, but perhaps close inspection with a magnifying glass or the classic tap with an insulated screwdriver handle will reveal something.

Lipaz

Forgot to mention that company doesn't yet have measurements for the speaker (promised to come later).
I checked measurement data for the T series and S series.
T series data was uploaded 1 year and 6 months after the announcement.
S series data was uploaded 1 year and 4 months after the announcement.
A series was announced last April, so I would not expect measurement data sooner than June-July of 2023.

Still… there are no major, insightful review of the new true 3-way speakers (A77H and A8H), only marketing intros and similar brief praises from influencers who received the monitors directly from the company, or some amateurs who cannot say more than they are good.

Very interesting approach from a company like Adam Audio which was acquired by Focusrite Group in 2019 Summer. A series is their first newborn baby. Hence I’d like to know everything about these new speakers before I pay 1-2 months of salary for a pair.

Rincewind

A full set of measurements for all five models in the A Series have now been published by ADAM on the website.

dimedrol

A full set of measurements for all five models in the A Series have now been published by ADAM on the website.
I think they have spent many hours discussing whether to show that 1kHz dip and the justification for it.

YSC

Major Contributor
I think they have spent many hours discussing whether to show that 1kHz dip and the justification for it.
Looks like the A7v is a lot better with a port interface dip around 700hz for like -3db and minor resonance ripple around it. If I am after an Adam the a7v must be the choice

RoA

I briefly listened to the A4V briefly when comparing active monitors. It sounded quite good for such a toddler but ultimately was overwhelmed by the room. Strictly for desktop only.

Lipaz

I forgot to mention that in this forum, that measurement data is available finally, indeed.
Good news, that Adam Audio is telling the truth with their measurements. This is the exact same result measured by Amir. https://www.adam-audio.com/content/u...v2-english.pdf

In this case I really think that the A77H is a real beast and very good value for 1300€/speaker. Finally I found a place in Hungary, where I can test them (A8H and A77H) in live... although they have single speaker setups, but mono speaker listening is still better than nothing. Next week I try to do my best to check them carefully with some reference tracks. If it’s done, I’ll share my experience.

MadMaxx

Looks like the A7v is a lot better with a port interface dip around 700hz for like -3db and minor resonance ripple around it. If I am after an Adam the a7v must be the choice
I bought a pair of A7V for my desktop/nearfield setup (pic on page 7 of this thread). Best audio purchase I've made in over 10 years.

D

Deleted member 57422

I forgot to mention that in this forum, that measurement data is available finally, indeed.
Good news, that Adam Audio is telling the truth with their measurements. This is the exact same result measured by Amir. https://www.adam-audio.com/content/u...v2-english.pdf

In this case I really think that the A77H is a real beast and very good value for 1300€/speaker. Finally I found a place in Hungary, where I can test them (A8H and A77H) in live... although they have single speaker setups, but mono speaker listening is still better than nothing. Next week I try to do my best to check them carefully with some reference tracks. If it’s done, I’ll share my experience.
Are you able to report anything of your experience in regards to the A77H ?

I'm very interested.

Lipaz

Are you able to report anything of your experience in regards to the A77H ?

I'm very interested.
Hi,

Apologize, I got a bad flu that pushed me down for three weeks, I recovered slowly. Next week I’m heading to that store and will describe my experience.
As for myself, I’m still heristating… and most likely this listening room (even with mono speaker) will help me to decide if I should give a try to A series, or stick to original plan and Neumann KH 310 (second hand). Ported vs. sealed, AMT vs. dome… but 3-way is for sure. I think it is really personal preference and taste at this point.

Lipaz

So… finally I was able to listen and compare the A8H and A77H (both in mono only, unfortunately) with a music I use to test my speaker setup, and that has a flaw at around 1:08… they mastered it with a crackling distortion. Good speakers (or corrected ones) reveal this error.

Track: Phoenix - Fleur de Lys

I have a Genelec 1029 with a 7050A sub at home. I use them since 2010, as hobby musician/engineer/music listener in a treated room.

The aforementioned error in the track was normally masked on them, but after I made a room correction with REW and Sonarworks, it was audible immediately (as well as sound quality in all aspects improved).
The two Adam AMTs in Pure mode showed me this error in an untreated space with ease. I think that’s no wonder for those who are used to AMT tweeters. I was not. First time I heard these type of tweeters and I was afraid I won’t like them and they will be sharp. Although my ears are 42 years old and still sensitive for high frequencies, this is not the case here. No harshness whatsoever.

I also noticed that albeit these are 3-way monitors, I couldn’t here any super wonder bass/mid/high distinction. Sounded like a two-way speaker for me. However, capable for clean sound with high volume, and bass was tight.

BUT… the bass. That’s a big difference between A8H and A77H. That one inch and the box volume do matter! And the following difference can be seen in their price too.

I could hear and feel in this track, and it was very obvious, that A8H does not need any subwoofer, it has a nice tight bottom, with which I could work easily. While the A77H was missing that sub 50 information. Physics is physics. Both are excellent, but a sub is required for the A77H if that’s what you work with more, or you are a pro. And I can imagine this is true for A7V and everything below in the series.
A8H is a compact monitor with good sub-bass presence, with better sizes in my opinion, that can be accommodated well on a smaller desk/stand, or even in a smaller room. And with Sonarworks it might be well-controlled and suited to your treated room. So I really liked it.
Now, there is a KH310 for sale here, second hand, on the usual price. I will check them as well in another shop next week (because I never heard them) and either I go for the A8H if I do not prefer KH 310, or I buy the (barely) used KH 310 from that nice seller, and I go on that way. But that’s a personal choice really.

Anyway, these Adams do deliver for first listening experience. Who knows how they will behave and translate on the long run.
I also had a discussion with the shop owner who is a sound engineer, and he praised the Focals. He is selling his Adam S2V with sub, because he bought the Focal Twin6 and he stated he doesn’t need a sub with those. Interesting. It’s priced here in the same range sometimes as the A8H, although with less fancy features. But these might be on par in terms of translation.

Tengo

Hi!
I bought the A4V a few weeks ago and really like them.
I had the ATC SCM7 with a Hypex Ncore Poweramp till then and was not really happy. I moved die ATC oftentimes and used EQ, one day more, one day less.
The ATC are better in the Mids and the Bass is deeper and better.
But the whole musical picture is much more complete with the Adam. The highs and the lows are well defined - and inbetween there are the mids...
And all in all the musical picture is more 3D and holgraphic with the Adam.
I am a little sad about the ATCs.

But I think, it has to do a lot with my setup.
I listen strictly at the desktop, listening distance is about 80cm. And the monitors are place right in front of the wall - I think, this is a special case for Nearfieldmonitors. Or?
(I use Dirac)

My question is: Would the A7V be even better in my setup? Would the sound be as plastic (holographic) as with the A4V?
I had the KH80 here, and they were as holographic as the Adam (both have 4" Woofer), both where more holographic than the ATC. But I was not convinced by the KH80, I think I don`t like the Alu-Tweeter Sound. The ATC won over the KH.

D

Deleted member 57422

Hi!
I bought the A4V a few weeks ago and really like them.
I had the ATC SCM7 with a Hypex Ncore Poweramp till then and was not really happy. I moved die ATC oftentimes and used EQ, one day more, one day less.
The ATC are better in the Mids and the Bass is deeper and better.
But the whole musical picture is much more complete with the Adam. The highs and the lows are well defined - and inbetween there are the mids...
And all in all the musical picture is more 3D and holgraphic with the Adam.
I am a little sad about the ATCs.

But I think, it has to do a lot with my setup.
I listen strictly at the desktop, listening distance is about 80cm. And the monitors are place right in front of the wall - I think, this is a special case for Nearfieldmonitors. Or?
(I use Dirac)

My question is: Would the A7V be even better in my setup? Would the sound be as plastic (holographic) as with the A4V?
I had the KH80 here, and they were as holographic as the Adam (both have 4" Woofer), both where more holographic than the ATC. But I was not convinced by the KH80, I think I don`t like the Alu-Tweeter Sound. The ATC won over the KH.
I think most manufacturer have a consensus that a Hi-fi speaker is a smile curve type of speaker made for enjoyment and not for clinical accuracy where musicality of a speaker is more important then extreme bothering details being revealed.

The SM7 is the entry level of the ATC Hi-fi line. I am not surprised by your finding.

Lipaz

Just a sidenote: 5 minutes ago I finished testing a pair of KH310 in another store, in a treated room. I tested it today because the A8H listening is still fresh from yesterday.
OK, it’s not entirely correct to compare it, because listening environment is not the same, but fair to say that the price difference of 600 EUR/speaker is there.
I’ve never heard anything like these Neumanns before. Nothing is tiring, everything is effortless, tight, stereo image is beyond imaginable, depth is there, and works on lower volume. I throw now a bunch of electronic music to it as well, and it delivered. It’s sold to me.
And this doesn’t mean that A8H is not OK. Even store owner said that the new A-series has much better low end than the X series, so improved it a lot… but this is on another level.

Tengo

Don`t get me wrong, I think the ATC are the better speakers, but the acoustical image of the Adams is more complete. Expecially in my very special listening Setup (Desktop).

Has anyone a recommendation which subwoofer to pair with the A4V?
I don`t have a preamp with Bassmanagment. My Mytek Stereo 128 just has two separat Audio-Out Channels (XLR + RCA)
I read abot the Presonus Temblor T10.
I would like to use the In-Speaker roomcorrection (Storage) of the Adams

D

Deleted member 57422

Don`t get me wrong, I think the ATC are the better speakers, but the acoustical image of the Adams is more complete. Expecially in my very special listening Setup (Desktop).

Has anyone a recommendation which subwoofer to pair with the A4V?
I don`t have a preamp with Bassmanagment. My Mytek Stereo 128 just has two separat Audio-Out Channels (XLR + RCA)
I read abot the Presonus Temblor T10.
I would like to use the In-Speaker roomcorrection (Storage) of the Adams
In which aspect do you find the ATC SCM7 hifi monitors to be better then the A4V studio analytical tool monitors ?

Is it because they (SCM7) are more pleasing to listen to or even because you hear less issues in the music you are listening to or is it just because they are all around more realistic to and more clinical to what some of your well known recording translate as far as issues in recordings ? Usual big finger pointer as to how much a monitor really translate is hearing issues in your favourite recordings that you never noticed there was something happening before.

As a random example, when I was a young men applying for a recording engineer job at an important studio in my home town, I remember pointing out the tape cuts that were very audible on abbey roads and because I had a set of (very cheap but revealing) monitors, I was able to point a lot of them out and the studio owner ( a couple decades older then me ) was amazed at how much I was able to pick those issue up. Once you hear it, you cannot unhear it. Do you find that more issues are poping up on the SCM7 or on the A4V ?

I never tried the SCM7 for myself but I would think that ATC would create a speaker for audiophile to enjoy. Not to be bothered by details.

The Tremblor from Presonus create a lot of ...tremble haha. It is a great blockbuster movie listening type of subwoofer but would never recommend it for critical listening.

It is enjoyable as it does give you the physical rumble you can feel at the movie theatre in a home theatre setup but that's about it.

Depending on your room size and acoustic treatment and also depending on your budget, I'm sure a lot of people here could recommend you any other subwoofers then the Tremblor from Presonus. This is as bad as it get for critical listening in my opinion. Or maybe Mackie does have a Subwoofer to match their scrap boxes.

Tengo

I think the ATC is more fine in the midrange. Also the bass is more defined and more deep (bigger enclosure, bigger woofer, closed enclosure). I had the SCM11 for a while and I even tried the SCM19 on my Desktop :) The small SCM7 fits (acousticly) most for my setup even though the bigger ones are the much better speakers. But I think they are not designed for a listeningsetup like mine (desktop, Distance 80cm, right in front of a wall).
The acoustical picture is more complete, it has bass, highs and between the mids. The picture is complete, I dont have to move the speakers because I think there is something not fitting yet...

Btw.: I use Dirac and do use a "housecurve" for listening at low volume.

I think, its very pleasing listening with the A4V (Dirac + housecurve - the Adams can deal with this EQing very well). Its not to analytical for me. Also I don`t have any problems with the tweeters.
I have used studiomonitors for about 10-15 years now, long time Genelecs, 8020 - 8040 (always an extrem nearfieldsetup), KS Digital C5. But never used a Subwoofer.

My room is quite small. 13-14 m²
The Subwoofer would also be placed in front of the wall

Another idea would be to try the A7V. It seems they are much bigger and I would have the fear that the mids are not so detailed and "holographic" than with the smaller A4V.

Last edited:
Top Bottom