• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AD Converter for surround setup

punch

I am looking to expand my current stereo setup to surround, the problem I have is that I have 2 active speakers, with the only input being optical. My plan is to keep using these two speakers as front L and R channels in the new setup. In order to do this I want to connect them via the pre out from my surround receiver.
And here comes the problem and question. I need an AD convert to convert the analog RCA into optical.
The guy at my local hifi store was saying he was worried that the conversion would introduce too much noise.
So my question is, what is a good AD converter I could try in this sort of a setup?
Would something like this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-converter-ad-24-192-adc-measurements.24187/ be good enough?

Last edited:
OP
P

punch

To add on I guess, would going for something like the Motu UltraLight mk5 just be a big waste of money?
Since I would only be using it to convert a simple stereo input into optical out.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking to expand my current stereo setup to surround, the problem I have is that I have 2 active speakers, with the only input being optical. My plan is to keep using these two speakers as front L and R channels in the new setup. In order to do this I want to connect them via the pre out from my surround receiver. And here comes the problem and question. I need an AD convert to convert the analog RCA into optical. The guy at my local hifi store was saying he was worried that the conversion would introduce too much noise.
So my question is, what is a good AD converter I could try in this sort of a setup?
Would something like this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-converter-ad-24-192-adc-measurements.24187/ be good enough?
Which AVR? Doesn't it have an optical out directly?

If not, that device is not bad though at 77dB THD+N it is measuring towards the low end of performance compared to AVRs. Chances are you wouldn't notice it though, and it is cheap enough to suck it and see.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To add on I guess, would going for something like the Motu UltraLight mk5 just be a big waste of money?
Since I would only be using it to convert a simple stereo input into optical out.
I doubt very much that would do what you want. Being an audio interface all the io will be to from a PC over USB, I don't think (though would have to read specs to confirm) that it will do directly analogue in to digital out without going via a PC.

TimW

Major Contributor
I doubt very much that would do what you want. Being an audio interface all the io will be to from a PC over USB, I don't think (though would have to read specs to confirm) that it will do directly analogue in to digital out without going via a PC.
It will actually, but you have to set it up to do this via PC first. Seems like a waste of money but options in this category are limited.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome @punch

Please forget , avoid most dealers, other fora, stay on ASR and you will, if you follow our advices, have a good to superlative system.
First what speakers you have? Interesting, I haven't noticed such n many monitors reviewed here...
What AVR?
How big is your room
Listening distance from the main speakers.

Peace

TimW

Major Contributor
I've used a Behringer SRC2496 and DEQ2496 as simple AD converters before. Pretty cheap used.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are also the following 2 products.

I've no idea how good they are, anyone seen any measurements?

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you considered the delay the conversion will introduce with regards to the other speakers of your surround setup?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are also the following 2 products.

I've no idea how good they are, anyone seen any measurements?
There are dozens of very similar devices. I suspect they all use the same chipset. Probably many are the same just with different brands. In any case the differences will be in the PSU and analogue electronics.

There are some exceptionally low cost ones available on Amazon - even down to less than £10 - and it is likely that the cheaper ones are just as good (or bad) as the more expensive - but just unbranded. To put it another way, whatever you go for is likely to be a bit of a lottery except for the one measured above with which at least you know where you stand.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are dozens of very similar devices. I suspect they all use the same chipset. Probably many are the same just with different brands. In any case the differences will be in the PSU and analogue electronics.

There are some exceptionally low cost ones available on Amazon - even down to less than £10 - and it is likely that the cheaper ones are just as good (or bad) as the more expensive - but just unbranded. To put it another way, whatever you go for is likely to be a bit of a lottery except for the one measured above with which at least you know where you stand.
The measurements by @dominikz show the cheap generic one to be worse than the other one measured, and the placement of ports suggests they have different boards.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you considered the delay the conversion will introduce with regards to the other speakers of your surround setup?
The delay will be very low with the simplest of these devices, and the avr should be correcting for it anyway.

OP
P

punch

Which AVR? Doesn't it have an optical out directly?

If not, that device is not bad though at 77dB THD+N it is measuring towards the low end of performance compared to AVRs. Chances are you wouldn't notice it though, and it is cheap enough to suck it and see.
I have narrowed it down to two, either the Yamaha RX-A4A or the Denon AVC-X3700H. I feel like they should offer good performance for the price and they have enough channels for my setup. They should both also have the ability to adjust for any delays incurred by the conversion from A to D and back.
The speakers in question are 2 Devialet phantoms.
Hopefully the receiver have enough delay adjustment so that that won't be a problem.

Welcome @punch

Please forget , avoid most dealers, other fora, stay on ASR and you will, if you follow our advices, have a good to superlative system.
First what speakers you have? Interesting, I haven't noticed such n many monitors reviewed here...
What AVR?
How big is your room
Listening distance from the main speakers.

Peace
Receiver is one of the two mentioned above. And the speakers are the devialet phantoms as L and R front channel. 2x Monitor Audio C280 built into the ceiling for the atmos height channels. And possibly a Monitor Audio Silver C250 7G for center channel. Rear channels I haven't decided on yet.
The room is about 40 m2, but I'll be using half of it for the home cinema setup and the seating is about 3,5m from the main speakers.
If you have any advice or suggestions please let me know :)

I did end up ordering the one I posted in the OP, should arrive next week and then we'll see. :)
Thank you all for your replies and help.

Top Bottom