• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Studio vs. HiFi Subwoofers?

MNMLSM

Hi everyone,

I'm currently asking myself if there is a noticeable difference in terms of performance between studio and HiFi subs?
While I was always interested in active speakers and headphones I never cared that much about subs.

More precisely would anybody say that you get more for you money in the studio or HiFi range when we're talking about subs?
As I already said I do care about studio equipment so I know models (didn't listen to them) like the Neumann KH750, Genelec 7350 or ADAM Sub10.

Advantage of studio subs (imo): balanced in- & outputs
Disadvantage of HiFi subs (imo): only RCA
Features differ from brand to brand.

What about brands like SVS or KEF? I know this question may be tricky because both categories of subs are dictated by your type of speakers. If you have a pair of KEF LS50, you likely get a sub like the KC62 because implementation and inputs/outputs are better fitting.

But would anybody think that, let's say in the 1000-1500$-range, in terms of audio quality, you get better performance with a studio sub (e.g. ADAM, Neumann or Genelec) or a HiFi sub (e.g. SVS or KEF)?

Cheers

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Disadvantage of HiFi subs (imo): only RCA

For info. my Power Sound Audio S1510 subwoofer that has an XLR input. Older models don't have this but I think all the current models do.

I've no personal experience of studio subwoofers but they've always seemed rather expensive to me compared to subs aimed at the domestic market of apparently equivalent spec.

Edit: Interesting question by the way. It's something I have wondered about too.

Last edited:

o7_brother

Some studio subwoofers like the Genelec or Neumann ones are poor value for sonic performance, although they do have many features like DSP, or in the case of Genelec, they have strong construction and handles. A couple of handles with which to grab a subwoofer is quite practical should be more common.

But let's compare the value proposition:

-SVS SB-1000 Pro - 12in driver with a 325W rms amp - 579€
-Genelec 7370A - 12in driver with 400W amp - 2775€

Genelec's GLM room calibration system may only be 350 euros, but that's because the premium is baked into the subs themselves.

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
I am an advocate (more of a fanboy, really) of studio monitors. But you get MUCH better bang for your buck if you go for SVS/Rythmik, etc.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Kali offers a studio sub at a fair price ($599) that is rated to go reasonably low (-3 dB @ 30 Hz) at higher SPL (123 dB) than most subs in its price range. The WS12 is a fairly unique hybrid sub recommended for both studio and stage use, sacrificing maximum lower extension in exchange for increased SPL. It plays lower than most stage subs but louder than most studio subs. So while perhaps not the best for home theater it seems ideally positioned for music at higher than average listening levels.

https://www.kaliaudio.com/watts

Trell

Major Contributor
For studio subwoofers it's about features like DSP and connectivity, not necessarily the best bang-for-the-buck in raw performance. Those members that use these in a professional settings can chime in with other requirements that is important to them as well.

I bought a Genelec 7360A subwoofer (returned the 7350A as too weak for me in my small office) for a very good integration with my pair of 8330A monitors using the GLM Kit AutoCal/AutoPhase. Genelec stores the calibration in the monitors and subwoofers so no need for a permanent external box or running some software on my PC. Very handy.

In my living room I've dual SVS SB3000 subwoofers.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I have had both. I fully agree with what everyone says about Hi-Fi subwoofers being better.

For Hi-Fi use, the only convenience of studio subwoofers is that they come with passthrough and both high-pass and low-pass filters. Hi-Fi subwoofers usually come with a low-pass filter, but passthrough is rare, let alone a high-pass filter. You would need to high pass your main speakers by some other means, and there are a dozen different ways. Fortunately most studio monitors today have a bass roll-off feature that can more or less act like a high-pass filter when you don't have one. It's not as good as a high pass filter, but useable if the mains are not too big.

Another thing is size. The 12" SVS SB2000 and SB1000 are both smaller than the 10" JBL LSR310S. Sealed size vs ported size, I know, but look at the power handling and low extension. I wouldn't say the LSR310s is of better value even though it's cheaper. Look at what you could get for just $100 more.

FWIW, I was offered a used Genelec 7350 subwoofer for only $500, free shipping, GLM compatible, but I was still not interested. That's how I feel about studio subwoofers in general today.

Top Bottom