• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Standmounts

Hai Cher Teck

I heard the Wireless 2 next to the M5A, the Swans distributor here had that set up because they were so confident of the M5A and M3A MKII. I felt the same, and this is subjective, hands down the M5A. No contest. Im an english speaker kind of guy but it wasnt even close. The W2 has way better connectivity though and that might sway some people. Im very interested in the R3 and R7 but I have not heard both in person. I will see if I can audition those.
I have a pair of SWAN M3A MKIII (yes MKIII not MKII) active speaker, bought it on 2020 for SGD 1200 from TaoBao. Sound fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_20211118_222915.jpg
    IMG_20211118_222915.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 105
OP
M

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a pair of SWAN M3A MKIII (yes MKIII not MKII) active speaker, bought it on 2020 for SGD 1200 from TaoBao. Sound fantastic.
The m3a mkii mkiii m5a are all great. Freaking great. They poop all over speakers in their price range including the ever popular W2. The swans are great in south east asia, they are not hard to get in your neighbouring countries malaysia and thailand. I say someone in the states send over the swans to Amir, people on the other side of the pond will start going gaga over them. We in SEA know better.

eugene2

I've no experience with that brand so I can't comment much. A cursory search for these swans also shows that it seemly has a fairly flat FR and better bass extension than the LS50M/II, so if they are otherwise good I would expect them to probably sound more full and perhaps "better" compared to LS50 when compared against each other. Just remember showrooms do not represent how they will sound or respond in your space and undoubtedly the comparison was not level matched and perhaps not conducted at various listening positions/axes. If you don't plan to have a subwoofer it could very well be the better choice, but the KEF LS50 could likely be superior with a subwoofer. I also imagine the KEF would be easier to EQ and have lower distortion, and also better resale/2nd hand value.
Excuse my ignorance I’m not as knowledgeable as most on this website, since many seem to have strong or cursory engineering background and I’m just a musician and audiophile. I own the latest version of the Swan M5A (probably one of the shortlist US owners) and had both the LSX and LS50 Mk II in my home along with the Swans. My sister owns the Edifier 3000 which I haven’t heard yet. Just wondering, what makes you assume the Kef has lower distortion? On basic ear test, I tested the 3 speakers with a few musician and non musician friends on sand filled stands with Isoacoustics feet and upgraded Core power cables. To our ears on music we know, without measurement tools just ears. The Swan M5A were clearly superior. They seem to image better, music emitted from a quieter (subjective) background and instruments had better tone. Opinions only… Here are some graphs from the Swan website. Also, I have a M2Tech Young III Dac with Van Der Graaf power supply which I wish there was an effective way of bypassing the Swans internal Dac to see if there would be a difference.

1638120106936.jpeg

1638131879570.jpeg

Last edited:

wyvern2

The m3a mkii mkiii m5a are all great. Freaking great. They poop all over speakers in their price range including the ever popular W2. The swans are great in south east asia, they are not hard to get in your neighbouring countries malaysia and thailand. I say someone in the states send over the swans to Amir, people on the other side of the pond will start going gaga over them. We in SEA know better.
How about the impression of m500 and the d200 ser?
Im living in sea also but m3a and m5a is non existent here damnnn son lol

Im on the verge chossing kef ls50 wireless 2 vs m500.. or go with ks50 meta and getting some amp/dac????

Hai Cher Teck

How about the impression of m500 and the d200 ser?
Im living in sea also but m3a and m5a is non existent here damnnn son lol

Im on the verge chossing kef ls50 wireless 2 vs m500.. or go with ks50 meta and getting some amp/dac????
1644654116138.png

Lazada Singapore do carry the M5A

OP
M

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The M5A is the shit... get it tested here and people will start forgetting about the many speakers that tested 'well' here.

Top Bottom