• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Speakers with DSP and Room Correction?

macauley86

Are there any active speakers with DSP and mic-based room EQ correction?
This is what I would like;
  • DSP, ideally programmable DSP (ideally with vocal and midrange modes), not v-shaped DSP only optimized for emphasized highs and bass. I hate that.
  • Dirac-like room EQ with mic
  • Variable loudness to counter the Fletcher Munson curve and sound full even at lower listening levels.
If not, is there a device (MiniDSP or similar) that can do the above with active or passive speakers?

NewbieAudiophileExpert

I'm not certain, but i think i may have read about some pretty high-level studio monitors for Genelec that do have this - but these are super expensive.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not certain, but i think i may have read about some pretty high-level studio monitors for Genelec that do have this - but these are super expensive.
Yes, Genelec has most everything on that shortlist of requirements but I don't think it has a variable loudness. I could be wrong.

al2002

The new Dynaudio XD series are active with DSP crossovers and can run Dirac DRC.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only speakers I know of that have loudness compensation built-in are lifestyle ones like Sonos, and the Buchardt A500(probably A700) as well. Note that I have no idea what curve any of those are using, and I sincerely doubt it's a strict Fletcher-Munsson. There is a lot of software and electronics that can do it though(JRiver, Audyssey, the RME DAC, etc).

Genelec and Neumann both offer mic-based room correction systems though in Neumann's case it requires their subwoofer or that you're using one of the DSP models(KH80 or the upcoming KH150, presumably). Loudness compensation would probably not be wanted for any professional uses so I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know if there is a speaker which gets all checkmarks. I would have a closer look at

- the more expensive Bang and Olufson speakers (room correction, maybe loudness and maybe manual dsp adjustment)

- new Adam A series (room correction using sonarworks, manual dsp adjustment)

- Wayne Jones monitors (also room correction using sonarworks)

- IK multimedia iLoud MTM (their own room correction software)

I would also consider a system with an external room correction system. Here are some of the solutions:

Another solution would be a good AV receiver with its built in room correction but the quality of the room correction is most likely not as good and there are only a few detailed tests out there.

Usernome

The HomePod and Syng Space have all of those features, the correction isn’t customizable at all though. I think the closest to what you want is probably the active Buchardts

Benleo

Dutch and Dutch are what you requested. They are active with DSP room correction.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kii also now has built in PEQ as well as baxendale type tone control, D&D 24 peq and extremely neat/sophisticated three band tone controls.
Keith

biniek

IK Multimedia just released new monitors with room eq
Very interesting products might be game changers

Boring Vic

French Dutch&Dutch 8C demonstrator here :) I confirm D&D room correction and preference curves areneat !

I don't have commercial bonds with Neumann, but still, I love those speakers, especially the ones with DSP. They took a loooong time to get their DSP right (years past before KH80DSP could be tuned to the room...), but now, their entire DSP products line seem ready !

flowolf

If not, is there a device (MiniDSP or similar) that can do the above with active or passive speakers?
A Raspberry Pi running Volumio with a DAC or Interface of your choice.
  • DSP (PEQ/FIR)
  • Room EQ with REW and a Umik microphone
  • advanced adjustable Loudness function (like in RME DACs)

Top Bottom