• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active speakers with analog vs. digital cross-over

SashaV

I am interested to hear about experience with and opinions about 3-way speakers employing digital (DSP) active cross-over (examples being Kii Three and D&D8c) vs. 3-way speakers employing analog active cross-over (examples being PSI Audio A23-M, ATCSCM50ASL).
If you look at those examples, PSI Audio A23-M is using propitiatory tweeter and midrange drives developed in house, with propitiatory amplification using unique technology such as Adaptive Output Impedance error correction feedback system which according to them allows for superb control of excursion. They also do phase compensation what is evident in impulse response and transients reproduction. All of this done in analog domain, what according to them is the proper way, not employing DSP. This certainly sounds like proper approach.
On the other hand, Kii Three does active cross-over in digital domain employing DSP. They also do phase compensation as well as cardioid dispersion pattern in low-mids and bass which is certainly beneficial, and their DSP processing seems to be very well done, what is all great, but on the other hand they use off-the-shelf drivers and amplification.
So I am interested to hear how these compare based on actual experience and/or in lack of the actual experience opinions based on some sound engineering knowledge

Speedskater

Major Contributor
An active digital domain DSP cross-over gives the loudspeaker designer a larger more powerful toolbox to work with. Also they can use the same cross-over for future designs, just change the software.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sasha, nice to see you here.
As I advised over at Gearslutz, you must hear them for yourself, I believe they offer advantages especially in untreated or only semi-treated rooms.
Also If you look at the measurements they are exemplary.
Keith

Top Bottom