• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Speakers & Smaller Rooms - Advice & Does Woofer Size Matter?

Gerryh

Forum Donor
Hi all, I'm on a roll today with two posts in about six months - thanks in advance for everyone's help! :)

I will be moving cities for work for about a year, and I don't want to drag my system across the country (Kef R700 towers, Cambridge dac/streamer, Crown amp) so I'm looking at an inexpensive replacement. The apartment I will be renting will be MUCH smaller than what I currently have my system in - living room about 16x 9 feet x 8 feet compared to my current listening area of about 26x19x14 feet. Consequently the listening distance I'm imagining would be about 6 feet or less compared to 9.5 currently.

I'm looking at a simplified active system, something along these lines for around $2500 US:

Streamer - Raspberry Pi4 - Ropiee XL solves Roon and Airplay needs
Dac - Could go inexpensive but would like to try an MQA capable dac (since I stream tidal MQA) - Topping D70s/90
Speakers - Many well reviewed here (JBL 306/308p Mk2, Genelec 8030c, Neumann KH 80 or 120, maybe the PreSonus S8 or Mackie hr824/624 mk 2. LS50 Wireless 2 would work as it eliminates dac/streamer). Open to a sub but I guess it depends on the range of the speakers and if I have room in the space.

My question is whether or not speakers with 5-6.5 inch woofers and their equivalent amplification are enough for a room that size - or conversely if an 8 inch would be too much for it. I typically don't listen too loud (75 ish db) but sometimes push to high 80's. I don't have any real experience with actives or smaller spaces ;)

Any advice as to speaker selection / woofer size? And any comments on the upstream dac/streamer would be welcome too.

Cheers, Gerry

Top Bottom