• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Speakers for New Listening Room

Jasperous

Mainly price. My budget is CHF 7-8k which needs to cover monitors, sub (if necessary), and streamer. I realized that I will need a streamer with AES/digital outs and now include that in the budget. The store I was looking at has a pair of 8361s with the GLM 4 mic included for CHF 8260, but they have a terrible reputation for customer service (although they are an official Genelec dealer). Other stores have the 8361s at about CHF 9600, without the mic, and of course without a sub or streamer. Similar situation for the Neumanns. The WAF means that 8k is kind of the hard limit.

So it seems I would either need to go with a different Genelec/Neumann, or a different brand, hence my looking at the Adam Audio, where I would be able to get the S3Vs with a sub and a streamer for about the same price as the 8361s/KH420s. Genelec subs are quite expensive compared to other brands. I'm trying to find one that is respected but which can also fill a 120m3 living room/dining area/kitchen open floor plan.
Forget a commercial streamer, they’re all just an inexpensive computer such as a raspberry pi or x86 based board system. Get an RPi, install moode and plug it into whatever active speaker you get.

Moode also has Camilla DSP for room correction. It’s what I use for my KEF Reference 3 setup

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If it was 10 years ago, it was likely the old tweeter? I read that they redesigned it a few years ago for the S series (or maybe just redesigned it period, can't remember) and the new version is supposedly better integrated and improved over the old one.
Probably yes. As I wrote, it was totally subjective.

Esprit

Forum Donor
I had a pair of 8361s on trial for a month.
Size of my room similar to that of the poster.
There is a lot of power, GLM is very simple to use, the PDF obtained after each measurement helps, if you want, to improve the listening room. Connected in AES/EBU they sounded even better than when I connected them to the DAC (Mytek) in analog.

Esprit

Forum Donor
This is generally one of my other challenges, many of the Genelec/Adam/Neumann dealers do not seem to have demo rooms, so testing them is proving difficult.
Here I have 4 Adam S3X-Vs, I haven't listened to the new series, I like them, they satisfy me, they have enough watts but the Genelecs also because of the coaxial are, obviously for me, much better. The ability to sit where you want, or almost, is another must...

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks again. After looking at the Neumanns and realizing that my room is 120m3, I am now dithering between the 8361s and the KH420s. I prefer the aesthetics of the Genelecs, but they are technically only rated to 110m3. I am looking at streamers that can somehow connect to the Genelecs wired to play 24-bit/192 kHz.
Blusound node. Even handles HDMI. Otherwise USB to a topping DDC works great too.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here I have 4 Adam S3X-Vs, I haven't listened to the new series, I like them, they satisfy me, they have enough watts but the Genelecs also because of the coaxial are, obviously for me, much better. The ability to sit where you want, or almost, is another must...
Once you go point source you don’t go back. Seriously.

OP
robithinker

robithinker

Right now I'm leaning towards the KH420 with something like a miniDSP with DIRAC, although that is really pushing the budget. I won't be able to get the KH750 immediately due to cost, so i need a DAC and DSP, with a streamer. If I go this route I fear that buying a streamer with DIRAC may end up being a waste of money if i end up getting the KH750 with DSP. I thought about the KH310 + 2 KH750s, but i'm not sure the max SPL will be sufficent for a 40m2/130m3 room. I can get two KH310 for about 3k and that another two KH750 and still be cheaper than the KH420 + miniDSP with DIRAC. The KH 420's will likely get a DSP update sometime in the near future, but I guess that would mean a price hike and put it out of reach.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Right now I'm leaning towards the KH420 with something like a miniDSP with DIRAC, although that is really pushing the budget. I won't be able to get the KH750 immediately due to cost, so i need a DAC and DSP, with a streamer. If I go this route I fear that buying a streamer with DIRAC may end up being a waste of money if i end up getting the KH750 with DSP. I thought about the KH310 + 2 KH750s, but i'm not sure the max SPL will be sufficent for a 40m2/130m3 room. I can get two KH310 for about 3k and that another two KH750 and still be cheaper than the KH420 + miniDSP with DIRAC. The KH 420's will likely get a DSP update sometime in the near future, but I guess that would mean a price hike and put it out of reach.
Maybe hoerzone.de could be of interest for you? They have Neumann, Genelec, Adam, D&D and others (in Munich, but shipping to Switzerland, too).

OP
robithinker

robithinker

Maybe hoerzone.de could be of interest for you? They have Neumann, Genelec, Adam, D&D and others (in Munich, but shipping to Switzerland, too).Yes, I've looked at them, also because I wo
Yes, I discovered them when looking for Genelec/Neumann/Adam dealers in southern Germany. I also looked at the GGNTKT Model 1's and saw they were a dealer. Prices are not cheap, but they do offer listening tests, although it's a three hour drive so not really an option if I don't already know what I want. With the VAT difference, the prices are not too bad.

OP
robithinker

robithinker

Maybe hoerzone.de could be of interest for you? They have Neumann, Genelec, Adam, D&D and others (in Munich, but shipping to Switzerland, too).
BTW, I see in your signature that you actually have the two KH310s and two KH750s. Can you comment on the overall SPL and in-room performance? How large is your room?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
BTW, I see in your signature that you actually have the two KH310s and two KH750s. Can you comment on the overall SPL and in-room performance? How large is your room?
No, can't comment. Room is small (3 × 5 m) and i never listen above maybe 75-80 dB in nearfield. I only have 2 subs because i tried to minimize the 70-100Hz dip. There are a few threads with measurements of my room, but i don't think they are very relevant for you because you have a different situation.

ocinn

Which Kiis do you have? The Kii 3s are 12-13k a pair. Any other cardioid monitors in the 7-8k price range?
Keith's GGNTKT recommendation are 7500-8500eur. You could add a minidsp Flex Digital or SHD Studio and have a really nice Dirac-corrected system.

OP
robithinker

robithinker

Keith's GGNTKT recommendation are 7500-8500eur.
I have looked at the M1's and the M1S's. But at the moment I am leaning most toward the Neumann KH420. Given they have no DAC/DSP, I have to find either an all-in-one solution like the miniDSP SHD or two device solution like the miniDSP SHD Digital + DAC (e.g. Gustard X16). miniDSPs are just expensive compared to other devices, primarily because of the DIRAC license cost that is included.

I also looked at SMSL DP5 + Gustard X16 DAC, which would give me similar functionality, but without the DSP. If I eventually get a KH750 then the DSP would be taken care of. However, the feedback on this site and others seems to be that SMSL hardware performs well, but their software often doesn't, requiring a significant time investment in working with settings, updating firmware etc. I want a easy to use streamer/DAC that is AirPlay compatible as the WAF is critical here. My wife (and I) want to be able to stream hi-res from Apple Music over the LAN connection. Eventually I will likely add a turntable as well.

Leejb1970

For your budget and requirements I’d be looking at the KEF LS60. I’ve had them for a couple of months, upgrading from the LS50ii. Internal dsp with option of further tweaking via Dirac or REW (at additional cost)

OP
robithinker

robithinker

For your budget and requirements I’d be looking at the KEF LS60. I’ve had them for a couple of months, upgrading from the LS50ii. Internal dsp with option of further tweaking via Dirac or REW (at additional cost)
They do indeed cover all the requirements, except for the height, which is a killer criteria. I need to find shorter speakers that can be placed below windowsill height in our living room. It's 90cm high, so the KH420s with ~60cm would work well, and could be placed on short stands. Also, the LS60s also do not have as much measurement data available, but that is of secondary importance in this case.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Genelec 8361 for sure
*coaxial
*aluminum
*Genelec sound :)
*reliable
*GLM is great

ocinn

I have looked at the M1's and the M1S's. But at the moment I am leaning most toward the Neumann KH420. Given they have no DAC/DSP, I have to find either an all-in-one solution like the miniDSP SHD or two device solution like the miniDSP SHD Digital + DAC (e.g. Gustard X16). miniDSPs are just expensive compared to other devices, primarily because of the DIRAC license cost that is included.
Genelec's have room correction and DSP built-in. Something like 8361s would eliminate the need for all boxes. Just send them a digital line from a source and call it a day.

Top Bottom