• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Speakers for Home Entertainment

GearAudio

I am looking for a pair of active speakers for desktop use but I intend to use the stands behind the desk in order to avoid unwanted reflections and have a more correct soundstage, I am undecided between these three models. The speakers will be connected to a Dac Preamp and as a source I will use a computer where you can listen to music of various genres, films and games. I like an organic sound that does not tire, I like an articulated bass but with a good grit for this I chose active rather than passive speakers, I prefer that the mid-high frequencies are refined without sibilants, I like a deep soundstage where it can also distinguish the positions of the instruments and the singer, a credible 3d reconstruction, another thing I appreciate are the slightly rounded mid frequencies so that the guitars and the voices, the dialogues in the films are reproduced with the right warmth and listening pleasure. The room measures 16m2 and I still don't use any acoustic treatment. I intend to add a subwoofer in the future so as to complete the frequency range below 40hz. I should choose between these three types of speakers but not having the possibility to carry out a listening test I have to rely on the technical specifications and the opinion of the users.

Thanks everyone for the help

Genelec G Three
Neumann KH120 or KH80
Dynaudio BM5 MKIII

dfuller

Major Contributor
In my book, KH120s are the choice here. I don't like most Genelecs I've heard - I find them a bit too warm and smooth - but I quite like the Neumanns I've heard. Dynaudio is a league below in terms of design.

Though, I think I would add to this list Focal Shape 50s, especially if you're adding a sub.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my book, KH120s are the choice here. I don't like most Genelecs I've heard - I find them a bit too warm and smooth - but I quite like the Neumanns I've heard. Dynaudio is a league below in terms of design.

Though, I think I would add to this list Focal Shape 50s, especially if you're adding a sub.

Interesting Genelec/Neumann comparison, maybe that will help @Pearljam5000 decide :D.

a|F

Love my KH120's and have a pair of 705P's for sale, for you to get your feet wet.

gvl

Major Contributor
Have a look at Adam Audio monitors as well. They may not be not exactly in the same league as Genelec and Neumann but pretty good nevertheless and come with 5 year warranty.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting Genelec/Neumann comparison, maybe that will help @Pearljam5000 decide :D.
giphy.gif

YSC

Major Contributor
I am looking for a pair of active speakers for desktop use but I intend to use the stands behind the desk in order to avoid unwanted reflections and have a more correct soundstage, I am undecided between these three models. The speakers will be connected to a Dac Preamp and as a source I will use a computer where you can listen to music of various genres, films and games. I like an organic sound that does not tire, I like an articulated bass but with a good grit for this I chose active rather than passive speakers, I prefer that the mid-high frequencies are refined without sibilants, I like a deep soundstage where it can also distinguish the positions of the instruments and the singer, a credible 3d reconstruction, another thing I appreciate are the slightly rounded mid frequencies so that the guitars and the voices, the dialogues in the films are reproduced with the right warmth and listening pleasure. The room measures 16m2 and I still don't use any acoustic treatment. I intend to add a subwoofer in the future so as to complete the frequency range below 40hz. I should choose between these three types of speakers but not having the possibility to carry out a listening test I have to rely on the technical specifications and the opinion of the users.

Thanks everyone for the help
I am using Genelecs, if you don't mind having to use XLR their monitor lines are actually the same but cheaper! for Focal Shape 50 I personally loved their looks and they sounded quite nice also, although the dispersion means it's sweet spot is quite narrow, but if you are using as a PC speaker the LP shouldn't be a problem. What concerned about the Focal for me is that their use of BASH amps and not even a full size heat sink is used, they used the metal backplate as the sole heatsink, which in my book isn't a good thing for heat generating class AB amps in a speaker this cost

OP
G

GearAudio

I would like to avoid speakers with a too clinical tone, the Focal sound is a little too detailed it is not the kind of tone I prefer, I like a generally warmer sound but with a deep sound stage, from what I have read on the various Forums and reviews it seems that the one that has these characteristics that I look for is Dynaudio but there are many conflicting opinions, some people say that the BM 5 MKIII bring out the high frequencies and have a too detailed midrange, some say the exact opposite, if I should choose I would be inclined for the Genelec, because I like their compact cabinet design and therefore they are easier to position, moreover the integrated isopod is a very useful plus in the positioning phase, but even here I have read conflicting opinions, some say that they produce a sound too detailed others instead the exact opposite. What is the truth?

I am using Genelecs, if you don't mind having to use XLR their monitor lines are actually the same but cheaper!

I like that it has the ability to turn off the front LED of the Genelec G and the use of RCA cables makes everything cleaner and I have greater versatility of use with the various sources

Thank you all for your participation, I really appreciate your contribution. I ask the staff to delete my other post, I could not see my Thread and I carelessly opened another one, it was not my intention to create confusion. Excuse me

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...for-home-and-entertainment.25783/#post-880084

Last edited:
OP
G

GearAudio

I was reading a very interesting topic about the auto noise generated by active units such as Genelec, in the specifications of the G Three and 8030C this value is 5db, now for hypothesis if you want to use the speakers as a music source to reproduce any type of sound even during Internet browsing, in your opinion that 5db value can be a cause of disturbance when no sound is played while browsing web pages? My Desktop Computer is a rather quiet drive. I remind you that the speakers will be positioned about 1 meter from the listening position

YSC

Major Contributor
I was reading a very interesting topic about the auto noise generated by active units such as Genelec, in the specifications of the G Three and 8030C this value is 5db, now for hypothesis if you want to use the speakers as a music source to reproduce any type of sound even during Internet browsing, in your opinion that 5db value can be a cause of disturbance when no sound is played while browsing web pages? My Desktop Computer is a rather quiet drive. I remind you that the speakers will be positioned about 1 meter from the listening position
can't tell about Neumann, but I am using a pair of 8030C with a 7040A, in very near field of 0.7m listening distance for computer speaker, I never hear any hiss or noise. I am in HK where power is generally cleaner 220V than USA, but I don't think it would be annoying

dfuller

Major Contributor
My Neumanns are extremely quiet. I sit about 4' from them and there's no audible noise.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What did you decide on?
Lol
Well i owned the KH120 sold it and liked Genelec more, so it's down to budget now... Obviously my dream is the 8351B but more realistic for me now is probably the 8050B...

Top Bottom