• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active speaker OEMs

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is said that for example the O500C has OEM custom made drivers from following companies:
Seas tweeter
ATC mid range dome (newer models like KH310/KH420 use their own non-ATC ones)
PHL woofer
but all above (except the newer mid range dome) are imho not officially confirmed.

Most Neumann drivers are made by Tymphany now, including all three KH310 drivers.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Tymphany make a number of drivers for Genelec, confirmed on Genelecs own forum.
Tymphany make excellent products btw.
Keith
Peerless and Vifa are part of Tymphany right?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Peerless and Vifa are part of Tymphany right?

The Vifa brand was part of Tymphany but is no longer operational (still making the vifa drivers though.) The old vifa drivers are now branded Peerless. There are some tymphany branded drivers too maybe, but the Peerless catalog now includes everything from subwoofers to tweeters to compression drivers and PA woofers.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Unfortunately I can't go into details about specific models but we use both OEM and in-house made drivers. I am assuming you mean the woofer cone/diaphragm material? Polypropylene and pressed paper are the most common. You can find all sorts of exotic materials in the world but often the reality is that you end up paying 10x and having only 5-10 % performance increase, if even that. Not a very good deal.
Don't worry, I said the exactly the same thing in another thread: the price increase and nasty breakups aren't worth the effort when doped paper or PP do it as well.

Have you already checked our operating manuals for each model? There you can find all the available specs for our amplifiers. I can assure you they are as advanced as you can find available from any well known manufacturer you listed.
Oh, there's indeed THD in the specs. Looking at the 8030C, 0.05% THD really isn't much (unless "nominal output" means maximum), but I suppose speaker distorsion is still greater.
THD+N would probably be a better metrics, though.

Mechanical fitting/integration is one of the most important things for us because our amps are fully integrated into the mechanics/enclosure of each monitor
Should we understand that the whole enclosure is used as a heatsink by both the amp and power supply? That'd be very cool and seems logical when you can cast your box to the exact shape you want.

Last edited:

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Oh, there's indeed THD in the specs. Looking at the 8030C, 0.05% THD really isn't much (unless "nominal output" means maximum), but I suppose speaker distorsion is still greater.
THD+N would probably be a better metrics, though.
THD and THD+N produce very similar result when the noise level is substantially lower than the peak level of harmonic components.

Should we understand that the whole enclosure is used as a heatsink by both the amp and power supply? That'd be very cool and seems logical when you can cast your box to the exact shape you want.
Yes, that is exactly what I mean and how the cooling is made with fully aluminium 8000 series cabinets. It was even more important in the days of rather inefficient AB class amplifiers which produced much more heat compared to their more efficient class D brothers.

Last edited:
OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
THD or THD+N produce very similar result when the noise level is substantially lower than the peak level of harmonic components.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean and how the cooling is made with fully aluminium 8000 series cabinets. It was even more important in the days of rather inefficient AB class amplifiers which produced much more heat compared to their more efficient class D brothers.
Thanks for taking the time to answer again, that enclosure+heatsink thing sounds very good for long term durability. Still, what does "nominal" amp output means? Maximum? (sorry if this is common knowledge).

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks for taking the time to answer again, that enclosure+heatsink thing sounds very good for long term durability. Still, what does "nominal" amp output means? Maximum? (sorry if this is common knowledge).
Nominal amp output represent 1/8th of maximum power rating. That represent the average power of a musical signal driven to occasional clipping.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Nominal amp output represent 1/8th of maximum power rating. That represent the average power of a musical signal driven to occasional clipping.
Thanks. Unless I was being ignorant, this should be included in the manuals. By the way, while talking about manuals, Genelec should really standardize the measurements inside: sometime it's horizontal dispersion, some other time it's off-axis FR, group delay and power response are sometimes here or not.

Anyway, it's very nice to be on this forum and answer this kind of questions; hope I'm not eating your leisure time.

Last edited:

Bamboszek

If I recall correctly nominal level is stated by IEC standard as -10 dB below full power. That was probably IEC 60268-3 but I'm not 100% sure.

Rollomoto

Hi,

...but that 15 inch woofer in 1238A comes from PHL. It is made according to our spec so it is not identical to any other manufacturer's driver. Of course the appearance to the front can look identical.

Well PHL does customization from as low as 12 pieces, so almost all of the PHL drivers are spec-made. Their online catalogue only show configuration samples.

The 10" of your S360 seem also made by PHL, probably with the newer kilppel-optimized motors:
http://www.phlaudio.com/products/?n...oducts&cHash=0854605dd229a33e3966c1e8e5208418

Top Bottom