• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(active?) Speaker advice

Dion93

Hi,

I'm looking for (my first pair of) speakers for my LG Oled CX tv and i've been reading on here for a while but cant make up my mind.

So im looking for speakers to connect to my LG Oled CX tv. Budget around €1000 (+-$1200), preferably less, and I dont have an amp/receiver.
I do want to be able to remote control them.

I think actives might be the better 'bang for the buck' option since i dont have an amp/receiver, but i'm not sure and open minded about this.

I wonder about speakers like the JBL 305/306 and Adam Audio T5V/T7V and if I will be able to control them by remote.

Because I think I will not be able to remote control these kind of speakers on a TV i'm leaning towards something like Kef LSX or some Edifier's, since these come with a separate remote.

The room where they'll be placed will be quite small (20-25 m2).

I'd really like some clarity about my options regarding remote control and some suggestions for speakers.

Much appreciated!!

OP
D

Dion93

Why not just get a DAC with a remote?
Example. Topping E30 for $150.

Pair it with a good set of studio monitors and you’re set.
Thanks, I'd forgot about that option!
Wouldn't it be better investing that 150 on some different speakers with a remote instead though?

And any suggestions for some speakers maybe?

Cheers

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For budgets under 1000 euroi would not buy a dedicated DAC, the headphone out off the TV is more than enough (I have LG GX).

What I would recommend is getting the Kali IN8 Second Wave (the price 400 euro is for EACH speaker, not a pair) and then maybe explore getting a subwoofer in the future. or building some room treatment.

OP
D

Dion93

For budgets under 1000 euroi would not buy a dedicated DAC, the headphone out off the TV is more than enough (I have LG GX).

What I would recommend is getting the Kali IN8 Second Wave (the price 400 euro is for EACH speaker, not a pair) and then maybe explore getting a subwoofer in the future. or building some room treatment.
Hey, thanks! But it doesnt come with a remote control right?
I dont want to stand up each time to adjust the volume a little.
Or will I be able to use the LG remote on it after setting the speakers up through the settings menu?

Cheers

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, thanks! But it doesnt come with a remote control right?
I dont want to stand up each time to adjust the volume a little.
Or will I be able to use the LG remote on it after setting the speakers up through the settings menu?

Cheers

yes you can control the volume via the TV if you use the headphones out, however, if you get a DAC and use the Optical out you will not be able to use the TV remote to control the volume.

OP
D

Dion93

So will I be able to adjust the volume of all active speakers by my tv remote if I plug it into the headphones out?

If so, why prefer these Kali's over something like the Neumann kh 80 dsp or the genelec 8030c?

Thanks!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So will I be able to adjust the volume of all active speakers by my tv remote if I plug it into the headphones out?

If so, why prefer these Kali's over something like the Neumann kh 80 dsp or the genelec 8030c?

Thanks!

the Kali offers the most output / loudness / headroom for the money. While having a decent frequency response and directivity due to their 3-way coaxial design.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have any other hifi/speaker system?

My gut feeling here is that you'd be very happy with a pair of Edifier S3000 Pros if you bought them. You could connect they via Toslink to your TV and use the remote control on the speakers. You could also use them as Bluetooth speakers to play music if you, or anyone else, wanted. Any other option is going to be more hassle for you.

Ultrasonic

Does your TV have a headphone output? My LG C9 doesn't...

OP
D

Dion93

Do you have any other hifi/speaker system?

My gut feeling here is that you'd be very happy with a pair of Edifier S3000 Pros if you bought them. You could connect they via Toslink to your TV and use the remote control on the speakers. You could also use them as Bluetooth speakers to play music if you, or anyone else, wanted. Any other option is going to be more hassle for you.

No, this will be my first speaker system.

Thanks for the suggestion!
The S3000 pro are available at around €500 here.
The Kali's around €750

Thanks a lot all!

Ultrasonic

The X generation has a line out / headphone out on the rear.

It's interesting they've added that option back in. My gut reaction has always been to distrust the quality of headphone outputs and have always used Toslink outputs from TVs for as long as I can remember. I can't say I've ever tried a headphone output on a TV though.

OP
D

Dion93

Make sure that you're looking at Second wave or V2.0 instead of the original iteration. I do not endorse the original iteration.
Yes, im sure its the second wave model, thanks.
Do you think its a good offer for them compared to the edifiers?

Ultrasonic

No, this will be my first speaker system.

Thanks for the suggestion!
The S3000 pro are available at around €500 here.
The Kali's around €750

Thanks a lot all!

I'd expect the Kalis are better but the reason I asked about other systems you may have is that most here are posting from the perspective of more demanding tastes than you may have (like most 'normal' people do - this is not a criticism!) If convenience and cost were primary drivers then the Edifiers would be worth considering and as I said, I'm sure you'd enjoy them.

My only personal question over the Kalis would be the use of a headphone output (as I commented on above), and actually you'd need a way to split the left and right channel signals to go to each speaker. Do-able but something else to do bear in mind.

Ultrasonic

On a purely practical level, I don't believe that the Kalis have grilles, which might matter if you have any children? On the other hand I'll be honest the grilles on the Edifiers look a bit weird (to me).

OP
D

Dion93

Thanks for clearing that @Ultrasonic, I'm indeed leaning towards the edifiers if the difference isnt major!

No children on my own here, very occasionally my cousins come to visit.

Top Bottom