• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active or Passive Speakers? Recommend PC desk.

wagsgt

After days of reading here and reddit I still don't know what to do,,,

I want to mount a small TV above my PC desk and wall mount speakers next to it. There is no room on the desk for speaker(triple monitor).
I have a GOXLR interface I use to control all audio, it has a 3.5mm line out which I planned on running to a desktop amp, I see the Loxjie A30 got a good review here.
And since I was mounting on wall I figured just running speaker wire in wall would be easier.

Then some people recommended Adams T5v active speakers. Im not sure how I would run that? 3.5mm out to Y splitter to 2 RCA? I would also need a power cable to behind tv?

Im looking for speakers around $300. Any recommends for speakers and what best setup might be?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Adam T5V is a highly recommended by Amir, but a bit overbudget at US$400/pair.
Let's assume you can stretch the budget for that.
These speakers has balanced XLR-female ports.

Let's assume you have the GoXLR MINI.
It has "Line Out (which is 1 x 1/8" TRS, stereo)".

You need to purchase a 3.5mm (1/8") stereo breakout cable, which splits into dual XLR-male.
Example
1611909168559.png

Many companies have these, so I'll leave the choice up to you.

Of course, each speaker would need it's own power cable.

Then, setup 'Equalizer APO' or 'Peace' for Windows and implement PEQ filters to bring down the brightness.
Either use:
1. Amir's PEQ. High Shelf filter, 5500hz, -3db gain, with Q 1.0
2. Maiky76's PEQ. Posted here.

See my guide on how to use either software here.

OP
W

wagsgt

Adam T5V is a highly recommended by Amir, but a bit overbudget at US$400/pair.
Let's assume you can stretch the budget for that.
These speakers has balanced XLR-female ports.

Let's assume you have the GoXLR MINI.
It has "Line Out (which is 1 x 1/8" TRS, stereo)".

You need to purchase a 3.5mm (1/8") stereo breakout cable, which splits into dual XLR-male.
Example
View attachment 109157
Many companies have these, so I'll leave the choice up to you.

Of course, each speaker would need it's own power cable.

Then, setup 'Equalizer APO' or 'Peace' for Windows and implement PEQ filters to bring down the brightness.
Either use:
1. Amir's PEQ. High Shelf filter, 5500hz, -3db gain, with Q 1.0
2. Maiky76's PEQ. Posted here.

See my guide on how to use either software here.
Thanks for the explanation, actually easier than I thought.

Since I dont have desk space for speaker do you think passive make more sense for wall mounting?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks for the explanation, actually easier than I thought.

Since I dont have desk space for speaker do you think passive make more sense for wall mounting?
No problem.

You could just mount something like this:
US$25
https://www.amazon.com/Cordking-Adjustable-Mounting-Surround-Rotation/dp/B01HBY4GXO
1611945931545.png

Alternatively...
Yes, you could save more wall space by flush-mounting passive speakers....in which case the wall-bracket will be hidden behind the speaker.

Then, since your budget is low, I would look at US$150 "Loxjie A30" speaker amplifier + USB Dac (and bluetooth). Amir's review.
Along with that, Amir reviewed and highly recommended 2 passive speakers:
1. JBL Stage A130. Review. MSRP US$300
2. Wharfedale Diamond 220. Review. MSRP US$350

Also, I would also use PEQ to correct any either speakers, and it makes it easy, since "Loxjie A30" is a DAC, so whatever signal you sent to it, will already be corrected with PEQ. :D

OP
W

wagsgt

No problem.

You could just mount something like this:
US$25
https://www.amazon.com/Cordking-Adjustable-Mounting-Surround-Rotation/dp/B01HBY4GXO
View attachment 109228

Alternatively...
Yes, you could save more wall space by flush-mounting passive speakers....in which case the wall-bracket will be hidden behind the speaker.

Then, since your budget is low, I would look at US$150 "Loxjie A30" speaker amplifier + USB Dac (and bluetooth). Amir's review.
Along with that, Amir reviewed and highly recommended 2 passive speakers:
1. JBL Stage A130. Review. MSRP US$300
2. Wharfedale Diamond 220. Review. MSRP US$350

Also, I would also use PEQ to correct any either speakers, and it makes it easy, since "Loxjie A30" is a DAC, so whatever signal you sent to it, will already be corrected with PEQ. :D
Thats the type of mount I was looking at, sorry I wasnt clear. I think I will go with passive for cleaner install and not having to run power cords along the wall. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom