• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active noise cancelling or passive noise isolation?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a frequent traveller I really value being able to enjoy listening to music on aeroplanes and trains, and also being able to listen to music in hotel rooms. Which means that I would like a pair of good noise isolating or cancelling headphones or IEMs for travelling which also perform well when the noise cancelling/isolation isn't necessary. Previously I used Sony 1000X noise cancelling headphones, their noise cancelling was excellent and very good sound (certainly good enough to listen to music and enjoy it without feeling short changed by sub par headphones) but their battery life went into free fall to the point that they died half way through a long haul flight. I use my Audio Technica ATH MSR7 headphones at the moment their isolation is fine on the train and they're superb headphones when listening to music in hotel rooms but the isolation just isn't adequate when flying. I've always been a headphone person rather than IEM person but good noise isolating IEMs can attenuate noise as well as active noise cancelling headphones (I find they work better at shutting out people talking) and there is something attractive about simple passive hardware with no batteries to worry about. I like the user replaceable batteries of the PSB M4U8 but it's a bit clunky and bulky as a travelling headphone and to be honest I didn't think the noise cancelling was very good. I have tried Etymotic ER4 XRs and the noise isolation was superb, I took a flight to Washington DC with a pair loaned to me by a colleague and they worked excellently and despite my misgivings I found after an initial adjustment that I was happy wearing them. Sound quality was excellent, and I think that if considering sound quality, noise isolation and tactile feel (they feel like a well made, high quality item) then the Etymotics are very attractively priced (I'd almost call them a bargain compared given the silly prices of many IEMs these days).
I never thought I'd ever say this (I've never been a fan of IEMs) but I'm minded to change horses and see good noise isolating IEMs as a better option for mobile music than headphones. Have any other regular travellers got any opinions on the matter of cancelling vs. isolating and headphones vs. IEMs? And if looking at IEMs, are there any others that isolate as well as, or better, than the ER4s?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still have an issue with things in my ears :confused: I am currently using the TOL Sony NC WMX1000 and I am very pleased I like the Isolation it provides and the sound is beyond decent. In term of NC the best I’ve experienced are Sony and Bose. Slight nod to the Sony since it adapts to the surrounding noise via an optimizer switch (manually) Found a better deal on the Sony a while back. I liked the Bose QC35 when i tried it. Prices are $350 for either.

P.S.
Would like to add that SONY claims 30 hours or so for the WMX-1000... I haven't checked that claim. In my experience Intercontinental flights have not depleted the batteries, I spend days traveling without thinking about charging them ... If one wants to tone down manufacturers boasts by 40% I would say that 18 hours with the SONY WMX 1000 with NC "On" is more than plausible based on my experience and using these very often for close to 2 years ...

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use IEMs on my daily commute, and with good foam tips I find them very comfortable, I really struggle with the rubber tips in every way. They are a bit weird at first, but if the tips stay put and block sounds well, I find they are close to perfect for my use. The main limitation is if you frequently need to remove them it can get a bit annoying compared to headphones.

This is a very personal decision, internet opinions are not going to carry much weight.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Flying ~ 1 week/2 months for 10 years, most trips 5 hour flights, some 14hrs. I used Altec Lansing's made by Etymotic (very similar to ER4s) for ~ 7 years. Started with the rubber flanges but noise isolation was always only just OK. Eventually moved to replacement foam ear tips, oversized. Isolation was better, as good as foam ear plugs (usually ~ 25 to 30 dB rated) but comfort started to become an issue on longer flights, and it was a pain to remove them for the stewards and then wait forever for them to expand again on reinsertion. The tips also came apart too easily.

A few years back I switched to the Bose QC20 in ears and they're great. Amazing comfort that I can wear from Toronto to Tokyo without removing, they have a couple little push buttons to reduce the NR to talk to people or navigate through the menus on the tablet which is handier than you think, they can be charged from the plane's USB port while in use (though I've rarely had to) and are flat enough that I can sleep in them comfortably and roll over on the headrest pillow, unlike the ERs that stick out. Even without all the other advantages, they win just for that, the Nr helps immensely with sleeping. They sound more than good enough for the plane, and battery life has held up great for ~ 3 years now (I'm guessing I get 12 to 14 hours not cranked, maybe more). For me its the Bose's, no contest.

I considered the over ear Bose noise reduction models, but for me the better reduction in high frequency noise provided by the extra passive isolation isn't worth all that bulk in the carry on.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that with any headphone comfort and fit are critical, it doesn't matter how good SQ is if you hate wearing the things or you can't find a good fit. This is especially true for IEMs I think.
I find that for train use reasonably OK passive isolating headphones are fine. My MSR7s work well when commuting on the train. However for flight use I do find normal passive isolation on headphones to be inadequate and I am increasingly fed up of non-user changeable batteries which give me two years and then end up so short legged as to be useless. I love my Sony Xperia XZ premium phone but it is two years old and needs recharging mid way through the day now. So I am favourably inclined to good passive devices (admittedly I still need the battery on the device feeding them). And I find that although very high isolation IEMs are not quite as good at blocking the constant low frequency drone on aircraft they are better at blocking higher frequencies and voices. And I find good noise cancelling headphones can sometimes have a weird effect on the ears, it isn't usually particularly troublesome but in situations where I may start feeling a bit queesy I find that wearing noise cancelling headphones makes it worse. Despite my misgivings about IEMs I did find that after playing with the tips and inserting them that I was happy to use them.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used Etymotic ER4S for decades on flights. I had a mould of my ear made to replace the foam or flanged tips. The company paid since I was already being fitted for some moulded ear monitors for work and the incremental cost of doing a second set for my Etymotics was small.
I do have one problem using them, which took a long time to diagnose.
I was prone to a build up of ear wax, often being sufficient to completely block an ear. It took me a long time before I realised that the build up coincided with a long trip away when I used them a lot.
Since I stopped using them I haven’t ever had a wax build up. This may well be personal to me of course.
In a fit of extreme extravagance I bought AKG Q90s, mainly because I admired the technology. I have only flown with them on one trip and the noise cancellation worked well, but they are huge and heavy compared to the ER4S!
I did try some Sennheiser sound cancelling ‘phones about 20 years ago but preferred the ER4S

Another Bob

Forum Donor
I used the old Bose QC-15 for years. Supremely comfortable, excellent NC, good battery life, acceptable audio quality, although certainly not hi-fi. I switched to the Bose QC-20 primarily to save space and weight in my luggage. I can't tolerate most devices that go too deeply into the ear like the Etymotics, but I find the Bose very comfortable - they mostly rest at the opening of the ear canal rather than fitting down into it. The NC and SQ are also a step up from the (discontinued) QC-15. But, as stated above, this will be a very personal decision.

DDF

The silicone tips for the QC20's are incredibly comfortable. They don't so much rely on 'fit' due to how they place in the ear in that they don't attempt to seal as much as block. It is important to have the silicone bit sit right, or higher frequency noise will leak in. While they do allow more HF noise than passive isolators, its well balanced with the residual lower mid still present so the noise left still sounds very natural.

One weird thing. Being active, they don't block higher frequencies of neighbouring conversation quite as well as passive, which can be an adjustment because even though fairly low in level, these conversations can be at times easy to hear with the noise cancelled so well.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Have any other regular travellers got any opinions on the matter of cancelling vs. isolating and headphones vs. IEMs? And if looking at IEMs, are there any others that isolate as well as, or better, than the ER4s?

I used to frequently travel by air for work, not so much in the last couple of years.
I've owned Bose QC15 and whatever model their in-ear, noise-cancelling model was called.
Both worked well to squelch the low-frequency droning of airplane noise, while still maintaining some ability to understand when the flight attendant is offering another drink ;-)

I now have some custom in-ears. Fantastic comfort, sound, and isolation. Ridiculous price though.

Innerfidelity used to include broad-band isolation data in the reviews.
The ER4XR measures exceptionally well in that regard. Acoustically very nice as well.
RTINGS also has measurements of acoustic isolation.

The Shure SE215 is also excellent for comfort and isolation (wife has a pair; not concerned about swapping ear wax).
Those are a step behind the Etymotics sonically, IMO. Quite bass heavy and "thick", but still OK in a pinch.
I would go so far as to say that increased bass response is probably a very good thing in a noisy environment.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought a pair of ER4 SR IEMs, decided to go for noise isolation over noise cancellation. One thing I was quite impressed by is the availability of spares and long term support Etymotic seem to offer their products. I know there are audiophiles out there who's consider a pair of IEMs at that price to be low rent but I wouldn't spend so much on them and then see them as a throwaway purchase. Although not cheap I do think that the build quality, sound quality and isolation make them the price feel very fair (especially in today's market of statement IEMs). A shop tried to sell me some high end Sennheisers (IE800?) despite me being clear that I wasn't interested in spending £800 on IEMs and in all honesty I found the ER4s to be better in just about every way despite being much cheaper.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you find a shop that let you test them before purchase? I'd be prepared to spend a bit on some IEMs if I could listen to them before purchase.

Zog

I used the old Bose QC-15 for years. Supremely comfortable, excellent NC, good battery life, acceptable audio quality, although certainly not hi-fi. I switched to the Bose QC-20 primarily to save space and weight in my luggage. I can't tolerate most devices that go too deeply into the ear like the Etymotics, but I find the Bose very comfortable - they mostly rest at the opening of the ear canal rather than fitting down into it. The NC and SQ are also a step up from the (discontinued) QC-15. But, as stated above, this will be a very personal decision.
My experience has been that comfort and noise cancelling qualities of the Bose outweigh the loss of quality. I do a lot of longhaul in cattle class and I find them invaluable for that. As an aside, when working with powertools they come in very handy indeed!

Reactions: DDF

soundwave76

Forum Donor
I belong to the small part of the population, who gets physical nausea when listening to noise cancelling headphones. My solution is closed back headphones: Focal Elegia at the office and AKG K845BT for travelling.

snowsurfer

I'm also on the ANC wagon, and still using Bose QC20i for plane, train and office. The sound is best described as "meh", but the noise cancellation is pretty much magical plus they are extremely comfortable.

Reactions: DDF

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm also on the ANC wagon, and still using Bose QC20i for plane, train and office. The sound is best described as "meh", but the noise cancellation is pretty much magical plus they are extremely comfortable.
+1

The SONY WMX1000 V3 noise cancellation could well be the best out there. Sound is good not ultimate... On a par with the Bose QC-35, methinks. I actually prefer the Bose QC-35 sound although SONY's has mor weight.

Tup3x

I have Sony WH-1000XM3 and while it works great on plane and on the go, I'd rather use Sennheiser MX 760 earbuds when outside noise is not an issue (on top of that they are more comfortable). I wouldn't recommend Sonys for home listening. The sound quality is mails behind decent open back headphones and it has way too much bass.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you find a shop that let you test them before purchase? I'd be prepared to spend a bit on some IEMs if I could listen to them before purchase.

Shops seem much less willing to provide demo IEMs than headphones, which is easy to understand. However some do, weirdly (or perhaps not weirdly) I found it easier to get a demo of high end models than entry and mid range ones. Unfortunately IEMs are like headphones and speakers in that the sort of qualities which often make a good impression during a demo session are not necessarily the sort of qualities that promote long term satisfaction. I was lucky with the Etymotics in that a friend let me try for an extended trial (including taking a long haul flight with them), I suspect if I'd had the sort of demo shops offer I'd have found them dull and boring as they're not a model that grabs you with a powerful first impression.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the first generation 1000XM and even on the first generation the noise cancelling was excellent. I also found the sound OK, not brilliant but more than acceptable and enjoyable to use.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something I find quite interesting about Etymotic is that they seem to have opted out of that whole IEM craze of using multiple drivers and also have avoided the frequency response arms race and top out at a frequency many who are obsessed with maximum numbers would deride. I think it is quite telling that a company with origins in audiology and which is still very active in medical and research audiology products see's no need to go for crazy frequency response or multiple drivers etc.

Fone

I belong to the small part of the population, who gets physical nausea when listening to noise cancelling headphones. My solution is closed back headphones: Focal Elegia at the office and AKG K845BT for travelling.
I would try a few different noise-cancelling headphone models from the same and different makers and you might find one that is less irritating.

The Bose and Sony are excellent in my experience but there are some other good models on offer.

Top Bottom