• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active noise cancelling or passive noise isolation?

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use IEMs because I wear glasses and over-ear headphones inevitably leave gaps where the arms are.

I had the ER-4PT but could never tolerate the discomfort no matter what tips I used. The mushroom tips were the least bothersome but they were very fragile. The tri-flanges... Oh God the tri-flanges...

ripvw

Forum Donor
I purchased the then new Etymotic ER3SE a couple of years ago and enjoyed using them with my iPhone on trips. I compared them to my AKG K701s and later my Sennheiser HD600s at home and found them to not be in the same class, but just fine for portable use. I purchased the Etymotic ER4SRs a few months ago and found them to be MUCH better than the ER3SEs both at home and on the road. IMO they are at least the sonic equal of the HD600's and are much better comfort-wise because I usually have to wear my reading glasses when using my computer. They have become my favorite headphone of all time and I have gifted away the AKG's, Sennheiser's and lesser Ety's in the hope of getting some of my younger relatives into listening to music more often.

I prefer using the smallest foam inserts from either Etymotic or Comply - the Comply's are more comfortable but the Ety's last longer...

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
I prefer noise cancelling over ear headphones to on ear or in ear solutions. Bose QC35 are my go-to choice for some years and have been excellent. Previously I had the discontinued QC3 on ear, which was also excellent for isolation while providing decent sound, but got warm more quickly. Colleagues swear by the QC20 or similar in ear options, but I personally find them less comfortable for intercontinental trips.

My impression of the Sony WX1000 range is great. Neck and neck with Bose for technical capability. Their sound profiles are different though. Matter of taste.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would try a few different noise-cancelling headphone models from the same and different makers and you might find one that is less irritating.

The Bose and Sony are excellent in my experience but there are some other good models on offer.

I have tried. Beats were less irritating, but their sound quality was poor. Closed headphones for me.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do think the sound quality of noise cancelling headphones is now pretty good. On a lot of the older models the sound was rather mediocre and it was all about noise cancelling, but the Bose QC35 and Sony 1000XM series are pretty good sound wise. I liked the sound of the PSB M4U8 and love the user replaceable batteries but the noise cancelling isn't as good as Bose or Sony and it is just too bulky and clunky to be a good travelling set in my view. On the other hand I am finding that good noise isolation is as good as noise cancelling and actually better for use on the train or office if I want to block out people talking.

Top Bottom