• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active monitors as hifi speakers

Jaysz

Hi
Been looking at active speakers for my hifi to replace my nad c270 power amp and ar9's
Would speakers like Yamaha hs8 or jbl 308p with sub be ok for hifi and is this even an upgrade as seem cheap for class d biamped speakers
J

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Do you mean https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/acoustic-research/ar-9.shtml by "ar9"? Anyway, I wouldn't buy the HS8 or 308 if you plan to use a sub, 8 inch is pretty big to be used as a midrange driver (and you pay more for nothing).

What's your budget? You could maybe go full range, who knows.

By the way, Yamahas aren't using class D amps but class AB (LM3886 chipamps, more particularly).

Oukkidoukki

I have hs8 here....they are crazy good for the price, no need for sub....jbl cant touch in music listening, in imixing yes........there is bass dip in hs8......you can cut low rumble in small room......however.........you need also suberb xlr cables and good dac for high fidelity........then the price gets closer genelec 8330 digital glm system which is probably superior..........anyhow......hs8, rme adi 2, and vovox sonorus xlr.....and you are golden.........your hair will stand up if song is right.........there is some magic when bass comes straight from the speakers vs sub and hs8 will do that....if you give them right cable .....the one with great sub bass delivery...
7F32C9E9-CCDC-42F7-ACC7-44A155C09EEC.jpeg

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They can be superb. But make sure they have enough power as you can't obviously replace their amps. They also put out some amount of hiss so make sure you sit far enough back to not hear that.

OP
J

Jaysz

Ok
I have the acoustic research hi res ar9 they are full range
Amp and speakers just a bit large for the room there in
Heres the spec
Yes could go smaller midrange
Local shop has hs8 so could go listen

Attachments

• 20191010_131422.jpg
    20191010_131422.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 20191011_192933.jpg
    20191011_192933.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 207

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
308p are fine for hifi. Add a sub for sure. I'm doing 708p with a sub and love it.

KozmoNaut

I used a pair of Adam A5Xs as my mains for a long time, with an NAD C 165BEE preamplifier for source selection and volume control, and a dbx Driverack PX for EQ and crossover to a pair of Dali subwoofers.

Stunning sound quality and absolutely no hiss anywhere in the chain. Plenty of power as well, 2x50W per speaker goes a long way when you're not losing anything in a passive crossover. And that ART-X tweeter (descended from the Heil AMT) is a peach.

KozmoNaut

Well, that's what I used, as I said absolutely no hiss and completely amazing sound. Works great in the studio, too.

OP
J

Jaysz

The shop sells all those speakers
So I can listen to them
Do different xlr cables make a difference
System will be pc connected into my dac using usb then xlr into speakers and maybe a sub

Oukkidoukki

Hiss is not the problem.......amazing is subjective...it´s amazing until there is something more amazing.......great cable can be the cause of goose pumps.....without no pumps....just right fidelity....have heard some stuff..... linn and vovox were my favourite, in the same level.......vovox so far only to give goose pumps.......ofcourse there must others in same level that i dont know........and new room correction digital stuff will kill vovox / linn soon i guess.......havent get goose pumps from all the way digital speakers yet

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

You need extremely good room and hard section of the song for test.....i recommend keith dont go nils löfgren......where guitar goes high....normal cable, guitar hurt your ears....good cable, it survives, doesnt hurt your ears.......also i suggest to narrow stereo field for the test....bring speakers closer together, this way its easier to pin point eq differences of cables.....

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

This is the section of the song.....if your dac and speakers are trusted but still this section sounds slightly nasty/pointy and make you grinch....it might be the cable..genelec glm with 8330 was fine too in my test no nasty sound..

Oukkidoukki

Cable thing is hard cause you really have to make comparison on your own.....but how to get several to your place at same time and acustics must be pretty good too....and then be able to return most of them....those you shown might be fine or then not, who knows.......good sub set up absolutely give you the oomph on bass that even 8" speakers like hs8 cant give.....if you gottta the cash genelec glm all digital set with digital sub is the pinnacle of audio fidelity at this moment in this world.......but will set you back at least 3000€......u need to navigate thru many options to go cheaper but if you are smart/ lucky you can get amazing set cheaper

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Cable thing is hard cause you really have to make comparison on your own.....but how to get several to your place at same time and acustics must be pretty good too....and then be able to return most of them....those you shown might be fine or then not, who knows.......good sub set up absolutely give you the oomph on bass that even 8" speakers like hs8 cant give.....if you gottta the cash genelec glm all digital set with digital sub is the pinnacle of audio fidelity at this moment in this world.......but will set you back at least 3000€......u need to navigate thru many options to go cheaper but if you are smart/ lucky you can get amazing set cheaper
Are you for real?

Top Bottom