• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active monitors as hifi speakers

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only difference I found between the cheap Guitar Center cables and the Mackie and Monoprice cables was that the metal connectors on the Guitar Center cables were harder to plug and unplug. But they were meant for lighting. My cables are entirely too long, and everything sounds gorgeous. Now I gotta figure out room correction.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Well........any xlr cable from pro audio shop (where you buy synths and stuff) is pretty good.....costs 30dollars.....that from dac to speakers and you can make great music.....or listen great music and its pretty good......... and because its xlr/balanced signal is noise free........but if you have chance to compare premium cables to those in good room you might hear some differences.......good or bad is up to you...........market economy usually follows the need so if there is no need for something or it reveals to be total hoax it usually dies away pretty soon...........still premium cable stuff remains around......is it a hoax, let your ears decide.........but really, u should not pay premium money....just to figure out why some cable sound so good for you and then make it cheap

Uh huh. That 'let your ears decide' unsubstantiated opinion, yet again. Audio Subjective Religion. o_O

OP
J

Jaysz

The last cables I bought was van damme blue studio speaker cable and a £10 lindy usb cable
I am going to listen to the hs7's then with the hs8 sub first
Are there any better sub's for about the same

Should be interesting to hear the difference from my ar9 speakers

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Nearly everyone I know that's actively involved in music production, which is many individuals, has a pair of active studio monitors in their lounge/living room for home listening... :cool:

I don't doubt that at all...
Any favored brands, or is it pretty much mixed?

maty

Major Contributor
Only some words about cables. If you live in EU, the best idea is star quad cable from Van Damme and Neutrik connectors (XLR/Jack). DIY building or not. In other countries: Canare...

* http://www.van-damme.com/vandamme_p...-grade-classic-xke-starquad-microphone-cable/

To balanced headphones is better idea:

* http://www.van-damme.com/vandamme_product/van-damme-tour-grade-classic-xke-miniature-starquad/

https://www.google.com/search?q=cable+xlr+star+quad+van+damme+canare+neutrik

-> https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...tleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Van+Damme+Star+Quad

-> https://www.ebay.es/itm/Van-Damme-S...hash=item2583991373:m:m4DMrWj0f-lZCVtlKE3Hn0g

1m -> € 13.17

1.5 m -> € 15.83

x2 with shipping to Spain < € 37.

You do not need to spend much more money!

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well........any xlr cable from pro audio shop (where you buy synths and stuff) is pretty good.....costs 30dollars.....that from dac to speakers and you can make great music.....or listen great music and its pretty good......... and because its xlr/balanced signal is noise free........but if you have chance to compare premium cables to those in good room you might hear some differences.......good or bad is up to you...........market economy usually follows the need so if there is no need for something or it reveals to be total hoax it usually dies away pretty soon...........still premium cable stuff remains around......is it a hoax, let your ears decide.........but really, u should not pay premium money....just to figure out why some cable sound so good for you and then make it cheap
I have tried this. There is no difference except for cables with built in filter (MIT, Goldmund), but then it isn't a cable it is a component.
I compared £30 cables with £5000 cables too. Same, and in a highly resolving full range system too.
There is no mechanism by which a properly made XLR cable could differ from another, unless it has an in line filter.
Any perceived differences are the placebo effect.

Theo

I have tried this. There is no difference except for cables with built in filter (MIT, Goldmund), but then it isn't a cable it is a component.
I compared £30 cables with £5000 cables too. Same, and in a highly resolving full range system too.
There is no mechanism by which a properly made XLR cable could differ from another, unless it has an in line filter.
Any perceived differences are the placebo effect.
If a cable "sounds" different from a competent cheap one, that means that it distorts the signal. How it is done must involve some filter indeed. Like with tubes, you may prefer the sound, that's a personal issue...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd recommend active monitors, the only reason I didn't go down the active route is that the power outlet arrangements in my house don't lend themselves to active monitors and I can't be bothered to have new sockets wired in to accommodate speakers or start running extension leads across the floor.

KozmoNaut

Similarly, the only reason I do not run active speakers in my main setup anymore is for space and practicality reasons.

The main setup has changed roles from "near field, one person sitting at a desk" to "fill living room with good sound for both music and movies", and my PC setup is now headphone-only due to lack of space on the desk.

Selling the active speakers, preamp and crossover easily financed the entire living room setup, which I find myself enjoying much more, in a more laid back fashion. A receiver with preamp outs would have been prohibitively expensive, so back to passives I went.

OP
J

Jaysz

Have listened to a set of Adam's and the hs7's
The yamaha's seem much clearer but not enough bass on there own so just waiting for shop to set up some subs

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_163559.jpg
    IMG_20191012_163559.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 170

KozmoNaut

I haven't heard the lesser Adams, but the AX line certainly isn't lacking in clarity.

Personally, I found the Yamahas rather treble-heavy (or "detailed" in review parlance).

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have listened to a set of Adam's and the hs7's
The yamaha's seem much clearer but not enough bass on there own so just waiting for shop to set up some subs

I use my HS7s as HiFi nearfield monitors. These definitely need the HS8S sub which to my subjective listening improved mid-bass 250 Hz to 100 Hz a lot since the woofers do not need to reproduce subbass frequencies with low trim cutoff from HS8S. BTW, I run them unbalanced from the Schiit Saga preamp with RCA 5692 tube that I use and the added tube distortion makes the HS7 sound slightly more pleasing to my subjective preference than the ultra-transparent passive mode.

Definitely liked the Mogami Gold RCA to 1/4" TS cables + XLR/TRS from HS8S to HS7 for looks and their pliability.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cable thing is hard cause you really have to make comparison on your own.....but how to get several to your place at same time and acustics must be pretty good too....and then be able to return most of them....those you shown might be fine or then not, who knows.......good sub set up absolutely give you the oomph on bass that even 8" speakers like hs8 cant give.....if you gottta the cash genelec glm all digital set with digital sub is the pinnacle of audio fidelity at this moment in this world.......but will set you back at least 3000€......u need to navigate thru many options to go cheaper but if you are smart/ lucky you can get amazing set cheaper
:facepalm:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since this has devolved into a cable thread let me just say one thing. Sescom cables (used to be Tecnec) through Markertek using Canare, Belden or, if you want to get fancy, Mogami is all you need. I bought a bunch of Liberty Cable Z500 THX Ohno continuous cast cables years ago because they were ridiculously cheap on close out. (like $6 each)

As far as powered monitors go I know these aren’t at the level of those discussed here but I have a pair of Ferrari red KRK RPG2 Rokit 6 in my office that sound damn nice. They were cheap, too, at less than $260 for the pair on sale about 10 years ago.

Martin

Last edited:
OP
J

Jaysz

Only had time to listen to the hs8
Didn't think much of it gain was at max and not really loud enough to go with the hs7's on some tracks
Wasnt really any low or tight bass and that was in a small room
Hs7's had more mid and treble than the Adam's
Some of it could be where the
room was more live than a house as no carpets,sofa curtains or anything really
Going to buy the hs7's and try them
Just need to find a sub with adjustable filters not set
a 10"cone and more power

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not clear if you have narrowed the choice permanently, but if not, you might want to wait and see how these test out:
https://www.kaliaudio.com/independence
I have a pair on pre-order....

OP
J

Jaysz

If the hs7's sound right in my system I will keep them they just need a sub
The krk k10s v2 looks like it could be the right spec

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I wouldn't buy KRK if I were you, they're known for their bad reliability. Search "krk black gunk of death" if you want to know more. For a sub, I'd try getting a sealed one; or at least with a passive radiator, but these seem quite rare. Try Rythmik, maybe? Looking at Thomann, Eve's subs look quite nice for the price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom