• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Monitors and Interfaces

Reamonnt

Hi folks.
Im thinking of getting a set of JBL LSR305 for my desktop setup and as I have mentioned here before I have the headnhifi ODAC Revb.
Ive been reading up on active monitors and how to connect them to the pc. I have a dell desktop but I will connect direct to odac but will I then encounter hum as the dac only has rca while the lsr305 has balanced outputs.
You guys often discuss these audio interfaces which can have balanced connections and also contain a dac.

Can you guys advise me on what interface to buy and what cables to use to connect?
If I stick with odac what cable can be used from speaker to dac some sort of 1/4 to single rca?

Also It appears the lsr305 are best for listening nearfield to music only no mixing at this price range currently 210 euros for two. Does anyone disagree and think there is something better but same size for a 300 max.

Thanks to anyone who takes time to reply.

Old Listener

To use the ODAC with the JBL 305 monitors, you need cables with a male RCA phono connector on one end and a male XLR connector on the other end. Monoprice.com sells 1.5 and 6 foot lengths. I you need more length to get from the DAC to the speakers, buy cables with an XLR male connector on one end and an XLR female connector on the other end to get more length.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The monoprice cable will do the trick. I've used the 305s this way.

If you did want to go with an interface Audient id 14 or Focusrite 2i2 are examples that will work with balanced cables.

OP
Reamonnt

Reamonnt

Thanks very much for the cable advice and I will also read up on the interfaces mentioned.

Top Bottom