• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Curved Beyma 15MC700nd/AE TD12M/TPL150H

D!sco

I'd plan to do this in-room when you've finished. Nothing like the genuine article for a set of completely custom home-built speakers. There's no "market" for use in other rooms, so to speak, so why bother for a general measurement at all?

OP
M

morpheusX

The goal is to design the speakers to have a proper "anechoic " response (not sure if this is the right term).

The problems due to room interaction will be dealt by using Dirac.

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have any formula suggestion to optimize the speaker based on the specific constraints of this design process, as well as speakers/room constraints:
My overriding advice would be that there is no magic formula, rarely does one speaker need exactly the same as another. The level of bass to treble and any overall slope there is needs to be balanced for the speaker to sound "right", Subtle differences in this can have a big impact on the sound.

When measurements are accurate and can be relied on you can start to decide for yourself which way you want to go by trying the options and correlate what you see to what you hear.

When the measurements are maybe not accurate or representative of reality all bets are off. If something that should sound good doesn't that is a sure sign of something going amiss in the measurements. The more complicated the speaker the more ways there are to screw something up :)

I would leave Dirac alone until you have something you like settled without it. It should be the icing on the cake but you need to make the cake properly first.

OP
M

morpheusX

In the end, i opted for a formula optimizing ON(4) + LW(3) and PIR(3).
The reason for this formula was to guarantee a good result at the MLP, which is where the speakers, with the center of the AMT (Horizontally and vertically), are pointing.

On Axis + LW

4IK2qsf.png

Power and DI

ebUnTTM.png

Final result after Dirac at MLP

neNp61U.jpg

Old one for comparison ( Can't guarantee the measure was taken in the exact same place)

woXXPao.jpeg

Would i be able to distinguish between previous crossover vs the new one?
(I deleted the old one accidently, and i don't want to spend the time recreating it, so i can't test)
- Assuming they were level matched (the new one has a better gain structure, so it would play louder using the same AVR level), i don't know.

The new one has a more pronounced house curse, and has no HPF vs older 40Hz LR24, but now is crossing over to dual 18" subs at 60Hz.

All in all, very happy with the final result, sound is amazing, and this will be the final version for now :)

Last edited:

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you have reached a level where any difference starts to either lean towards preference or is a result of the measurements not being completely reliable. If you didn't like it and could articulate why then I might be able offer something to try, but until then enjoy it :)

OP
M

morpheusX

I think you have reached a level where any difference starts to either lean towards preference or is a result of the measurements not being completely reliable. If you didn't like it and could articulate why then I might be able offer something to try, but until then enjoy it :)

I'm confident that the On-Axis measurements are accurate enough, as i compared them with the far field measurements and they tracked pretty well.
I'm not so confident with the off axis measurements, specifically the 40º and 50º, as well as the lack of real vertical measurements.

I will definitively build a proper measurement turntable in the future, i saw some great ideas which wouldn't be too hard to implement, and should provide a stable and reliable platform for proper far field measurements. I would like to do this before starting the center speaker in a few months.

If it was now, i would have done things a little different, taking advantage of VituixCAD simulation capabilities to maximize the cabinets shape, and would have used the TD10M and a 18".

But for a project so big, which started a few years ago, started as a simple 2 way, which later i decided to add the 15" driver, i'm very pleased with the results :cool:

Top Bottom