• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active crossover with Max 8

TriN

Hi there,

So I was looking for software solutions for active filtering, I found a dozen of ideas here on the forum, but none talking about Max 8.
I'm still waiting for my Motu ultralite Mk5, Scanspeaks, some amps... anyways... in the meantime, I try all that stuff on two passive speakers stacked on top of each other.
This is a very quick and dirty 2-way crossover, but you get the idea,, adding more channels and filters is very easy.
best_filter.JPG

adc~ is the input, dac~ the output
the sound is redirected thru it with VB Cable
The amazing part is that everything can be done in real time, the routing, filtering, settings, drag and drop of stuff.... very impressed
The routing from 2 channels to 4, 6, 8 is done by making connections/routing, dac~ will have more connection dots based on the device.

That example outputs back to the same stereo feed, the filters become unnoticeable, the transition is so smooth.
When using two speakers on top of each other, I just redirect the lowpass to L and highpass to R, easy

They have some FIR filtering going on I'm about to explore, more to come.
So far, that's the best piece of software out there, unlike abandoned projects from years ago.

OP
T

TriN

I was able to add FIR, up to 4096 taps (total across all channels), not easy at first, I didn't find any example, the implementation is actually very simple.
Now exploring if it can be done externally via a custom plugin to have as many taps as possible.

Top Bottom