• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active compact speakers for small room

NappyRob

Hi. I am looking for active speakers for my room, I would place them on my computer table. I would mainly use them to listen to music, especially metal music so it would be good if it had good bass.

For space reasons, it should have a depth less than 20 cm, and a height of 24 cm.

I am more interested in quality than power (within acceptable ranges), my room is small and I will not use them at an excessively high volume ...

My budget would be up to 600€

Thanks.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kali Audio just mailed me about Kali Lp6(?) is on sale now.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Neumann KH80DSP (900€/pair)
Genelec 8020D (660€)
EVE audio SC204 (500€)
Fluid Audio FX50 (360€)
Tannoy Reveal 402 (180€)

With the cheapest options, you can even pick any competent sub that highpasses its output (Prodipe Pro 10s V3 320€, Presonus Temblor T8 330€, Fluid Audio F8S 340€, Adam T10S 400€), thus really relieving your small woofers.

I'd stretch my budget and go with the Genelecs if I were you, simply because the build and sound quality gap is worth it.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
1. I wouldn't think that metal is overly demanding in terms of bass. We're pretty much talking about frequency ranges that home cinema enthusiasts wouldn't even fire up their sub for... midbass is important, but everything much below that quickly loses relevance. So competent coverage down to 100, maybe 80 Hz.
2. Small room and modest volumes presumably implies a rather short listening distance (<1 m)? Do you have normal to good hearing? If so, direct your attention to the background noise level produced by each model. Especially in the lower price ranges, finding some that aren't noticeably hissy is not a trivial task. The FX50's larger brother FX80 is supposed to be problematic in this regard (typical for inexpensive units with Class D amps and waveguides / coax), the Reveal 402 apparently is somewhat noticeable.
3. The size constraints suggest rather cramped conditions. Note that the best speakers in the world are going to have difficulty if just plopped onto a desk. Some effective EQ presets for such environments would be required at the very least. The KH80DSP allows for custom EQ, alas people are not exactly enthused with the app. The SC204 also has DSP capability but I'm not clear on how exactly that works.

A picture of the planned surroundings would be of interest, then we may be able to see how problematic the situation is.

Around here, I have my speakers on desk stands next to the monitor. That's why I'm essentially stuck with an old (but good) 5:4 19" job, it's about the maximum for usable monitor area. Any wider, and I'd be losing display height as it would have to be placed further back. Any higher, and my neck would be unhappy. Any more resolution would be mostly lost on my eyesight or rather lack thereof. Modern e-IPS panels would have substantially more IPS glow, a potentially major issue at my partially extreme viewing angles. At least I don't need my glasses like that...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sounds like you want near-field monitors

and ones that will reject any interference from the computer?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
It's true that you'll want to avoid hiss like the plague. Neumann and Genelec both give specs for residual self noise which are very low: < 20 dB(A) at 10 cm for Neumann and < 5 dB(A) at 1m for Genelec.

Top Bottom