• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Acoustics Treatments and Acoustically Treated Rooms. Are these needed?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Thread was inspired by,this thread: Photos of rooms with acoustic treatment products... Many beautiful rooms. I used to dream of such rooms and back in the days, had a concrete room room with a Forest of Tube Traps and DIY clones. I was, in fora a staunch proponent of Room treatments, lately find my enthusiasm waning.

Do we need room treatments? When are they necessary? How do we know when to treat a room? DIffusion? Absorption? Do we need an Acoustician for our rooms? There are more questions ...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a couch is a room tmt. as are stacks of books on the side walls

but the answer to all you questions is "maybe"

Snoochers

I would say the answer is almost certainly yes. Speakers are the engine, while the room is the rest of the car. The best sounding rooms will have treatments.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Call me crazy but, Set up your speakers outdoors (equilateral triangle) and decide if you like the sound. Thats kinda what youre chasing. I did it a while back just on the long side of the house with super long speaker cable from inside and was blown away at the effect or lack of, side wall reflection, i guess and long to get that effect in my room one day.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes it is necessary for the best sound. But most people have no idea what they are doing and end up causing more harm than good.

Top Bottom