• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Acoustical Characteristics of Musical Instruments (SPL & Fundamental Frequency Range from DPA Microphones)

robwpdx

In the recording world, Schoeps and DPA are very popular for distance microphones and close placement too. DPA descended from Brüel & Kjær.

This article is a guide to instruments. They used a distance of 3 meters, and typical close microphone placement distance for the instrument SPL. Many instruments are loud!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Example from link above:

1683089250641.png

That's about how I listen, when listening critically.

85dB averaged, 105dB peaks.

At 3 meters.

I like an "in your face" presentation.

Maybe not a pristine recording but I like Carla Bley...

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Example from link above:

View attachment 283160

That's about how I listen, when listening critically.

85dB averaged, 105dB peaks.

At 3 meters.

I like an "in your face" presentation.
You need to sit really close to K-horns for the full effect.

There is that time I worked on tuning the sound rig in a strip club. They had ceiling mounted K-horns that were giving the girls headaches. The girls were very appreciative of my EQing the speakers.

Ifrit

Funny, I was just refreshing the specs of the different grills for 4006/4003.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't see how "dynamic range" has any meaning for an acoustic instrument that can decay to silence or rest at silence. Silence is minus infinity dB so that's infinite dynamic range.

Ifrit

Silence is minus infinity dB
There is no sound in vacuum, and only minus infinity possible would be there. IIRC, dynamic range is measured relative to the threshold of hearing (aka loosely 'silence'), which is 0 db SPL, which is 20 micro Pascal. And that is reflected in the above pictures with the specs.

Last edited:

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
I've used DPA microphones a lot and they are amazing. They are some of the most accurate and versatile microphones on the planet.

Top Bottom