• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Acoustic heat pump

DonR

Major Contributor

Heat pump uses a "hi-fi" speaker as a compressor.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Heat pump uses a "hi-fi" speaker as a compressor.
I'm glad it's hi-fi. Nobody likes a ragged sounding heat pump.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I guess if one has a large abode, it's gotta be multi-channel.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Probably with one of those subs with a 1ft Xmax :D
... and you know what they're gonna use to distribute the warm air from these acoustic heat pumps...

trw17-opener.jpg

It's actually a pretty cool (no pun intended) idea -- although one wonders about the actual, overall efficiency of an acoustic heat pump. 1 kW of electric power in to get 3 to 4 kW of 'heat'... them other killawatts gotta come from someplace.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... and you know what they're gonna use to distribute the warm air from these acoustic heat pumps...

trw17-opener.jpg

It's actually a pretty cool (no pun intended) idea -- although one wonders about the actual, overall efficiency of an acoustic heat pump. 1 kW of electric power in to get 3 to 4 kW of 'heat'... them other killawatts gotta come from someplace.
Well...if Silicon Valley has taught us anything, it's that concepts don't need to make engineering sense to be successful moving stock etc. And the owners get to sit in big fancy offices dragging down big bucks, until the boat sinks...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^^^ (both of the posts above): I clicked "like" because we don't have an icon like this one. :(

Keep-America-Beautiful-Crying-Indian.jpg

The lack of (I suppose) STEM education and of common sense is nearing a crisis level, dagummit.
Again, and in seriounsess, this is a neat idea, and may well be practical -- but there's no free ride. I don't know much about engineering, but - for better or worse - I do have a pretty good grasp of thermodynamics. :rolleyes:

The battery technology gang are in the same boat. Engineering's great, but thermodynamics win(s) every time. The game is fixed. :(

staticV3

Master Contributor
1 kW of electric power in to get 3 to 4 kW of 'heat'... them other killawatts gotta come from someplace.
It's a miracle - 3 to 4 kw output for 1 kw of input energy !
A heat pump doesn't create heat, it moves heat from one place to another. Typically from inside to outside or vice versa.
This one claims to move 3-4kW of heat while consuming 1kWh of electrical energy.
@mhardy6647 as well. No energy is created out of thin air. It's just poorly worded in that article.

Last edited:

Zaireeka

This is how thery cool down the instruments on the James Webb telescope btw.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The trick is making it work reliably for extended domestic use, at a reasonable price. I hope they succeed.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A heat pump doesn't create heat, it moves heat from one place to another. Typically from inside to outside or vice versa.
This one claims to move 3-4kW of heat energy and in doing so consumes 1kWh of electrical energy.
@mhardy6647 as well. No energy is created out of thin air. It's just poorly worded in that article.
Of course.
Do you think that the investors understand that?
I'm guessing... no.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
You overestimate the investment industry -- not us.

D'you think that VCs would flock to a company that said "Put 5 kW in, and get 3 kW out! Maybe even 4 kW!!"?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, the investment companies only care if they can flip stock at a high profit in the near future. The internet bubble was an excellent example, but the story continues.

Top Bottom