• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Acoustic effects of the audiophile shrine

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
image.jpeg
I like many have the rack in between the speakers in the ' shrine' setup. I know this is not great but can some one please give a measured reasoning to this idea?

That's what this place is for!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I can only think If indeed it is truly harmful that it would be to do do with the off axis response of the speakers.
But the degree of off axis would already be steep ,at that point even with your speakers toed in.
Having a flat table I between you and the speakers would be worse .
AJ or Amir will know.
Keith.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I can only think If indeed it is truly harmful that it would be to do do with the off axis response of the speakers.
But the degree of off axis would already be steep ,at that point even with your speakers toed in.
Having a flat table I between you and the speakers would be worse .
AJ or Amir will know.
Keith.
It could well in part be a brain thing, you see the rack where the sound is coming from and it buggers up the illusion.

But some guys have racks to the side wall... That got to be bad!? Lateral reflections and such.
Measurement task in order not idle superstition

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
View attachment 917 I like many have the rack in between the speakers in the ' shrine' setup. I know this is not great but can some one please give a measured reasoning to this idea?

See no issues with that. It actually acts like a scattering device which is good in the front wall.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Between front speakers was always popular for me, especially with planar speakers that have little radiation to the sides. Most speakers have little response 180 degrees off-axis and that seems like a good place for electronics and (especially) turntables.

We used to measure TT output using a silent groove to check out resonances and how much vibration the TT was picking up via mechanical or airborne sources. Was pretty enlightening and sometimes a little scary but very OT for this thread. And like everything else my info is ancient and undocumented so useless to many. But, I remember, and have no real need to prove to anyone else. Those experiments did help guide my first audiophile TT purchase, however.

Mivera

Major Contributor
View attachment 917 I like many have the rack in between the speakers in the ' shrine' setup. I know this is not great but can some one please give a measured reasoning to this idea?

Did you ABX those cable stands?

Mivera

Major Contributor
I find a lot of the big wigs with the uber expensive stereos have the gear off to the side with 30+ feet of interconnects going to the amps. The main reason for this is so the dealer can sell them more cable.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have African hardwood stuck to my wall socket and distribution block... :eek::D:D

They have special topaz crystals on them to.... :D:D:p:D:oops:
DIY accident?
Keith

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Most speakers have little response 180 degrees off-axis and that seems like a good place for electronics and (especially) turntables.
Yo Don, that would be like, behind the speakers...and also incorrect, because even monopole speakers have significant rearward radiation, due to the trends of narrow baffles and small drivers, which are largely omni directional in the lower frequencies of their passband. Ain't nothing to stop that wrap around.
Anyway, this looks more 75 degree-ish, the speakers toed-in and pushed back behind the plane of the shrine.
index.php

Speaking of speakers, looki here at this Vivid:

414VG3fig4.jpg

Note that we are barely down 6db over a large swath at 90 degrees of axis!!

Methinks shrine between, not such a good idea. A wide, low rack would be my suggestion. That way you could kneel in front of each component!!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yeah, I meant 90 degrees, brain fart. The radiation pattern of speakers is heavily dependent upon so many variables that there is no really hard and fast rule, at least for me.

Where would you put the stand?

Remind me to never post in any thread in which you are participating; I'll never match your level of acumen and expertise.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Speaking of speakers, looki here at this Vivid:

414VG3fig4.jpg

Note that we are barely down 6db over a large swath at 90 degrees of axis!!
You see the cursor position and the label saying -9.33 db at 7 Khz??? After that, it drops much more yet again. My quick read says -18 db at 20 Khz. Wouldn't call this barely 6 db down.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
The radiation pattern of speakers is heavily dependent upon so many variables that there is no really hard and fast rule, at least for me.
Well yeah, but I was referring to the ones specifically in this thread which we have data for (I think those are G3s)

Where would you put the stand?
Umm, low and in between?
89769d1429921800-audio-expo-north-america-axpona-2015-show-report-img_3151.jpg

Remind me to never post in any thread in which you are participating; I'll never match your level of acumen and expertise.
If you don't participate, how am I going to remember to remind you not to?? o_O
Look, I told you I'm not an expert either, but I do play one on TV.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. now watch Amir ask me if I have any AES papers on low racks!

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
They play a little louder in the HF than standard as I had them match to my preference in room but still amps etc lo and wide would do no harm. I would ideally like them behind the speaker line but not possible with this lay out.

Oh and AJ like you I am too busy worshiping or is that loathing myself to kneel down and worship my hifi...

Last edited:

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
You see the cursor position and the label saying -9.33 db at 7 Khz??? After that, it drops much more yet again. My quick read says -18 db at 20 Khz. Wouldn't call this barely 6 db down.
I would, especially at less than 90 which his picture clearly shows. He's going to have strong reflections of the shrine with that setup. Whether he finds it audible or detrimental is whole 'nother story.
-18db at 20k? You see the thick hair around his ears, I doubt he can hear much past 12k

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would, especially at less than 90 which his picture clearly shows. He's going to have strong reflections of the shrine with that setup.
Strong reflections from sides of equipment in that shelf? I don't think so. It is pretty airy in there and anything hitting them is going to then bounce off the wall and then get to your ear.

As I said, what is there is more akin to a scattering device than hard reflections as if it were a wall.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I like many have the rack in between the speakers in the ' shrine' setup. I know this is not great but can some one please give a measured reasoning to this idea?

I confess my stuff is enshrined between the speakers and under the TV.

Between front speakers was always popular for me, especially with planar speakers that have little radiation to the sides.

It makes for a compact installation with a minimum of cabling. My speakers are somewhat planar-like too.

At least, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it, for now.

Top Bottom