• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Acoustic Cameras. See the sound!

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Interesting watch and if the tech is reasonable accessible the uses could be a game changer for taming rooms and visualizing treatment results in real-time.

Discuss:

Acoustic cameras can SEE sound

OP
AdamG

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Had the joy of using one at my previous job, although I have the feeling its initial hype has settled down a bit.
Maybe I am seeing potential that is yet to exist. My initial thoughts were that the tech would be a gold mine for Custom installations and live performance venues setup. Not to mention the home enthusiasts applications. The real-time visual feedback, would aid the average end user, better understand how the room dominates what we hear. A nd could be employed to help locate the worst offender locations in a room/setting. Seeing is believing when dealing with invisible (to the human eye) sound waves when they hit walls, corners, fireplaces and surfaces that become resonators and/or standing waves. Heck I just want to play with one! :cool:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I am seeing potential that is yet to exist. My initial thoughts were that the tech would be a gold mine for Custom installations and live performance venues setup. Not to mention the home enthusiasts applications. The real-time visual feedback, would aid the average end user, better understand how the room dominates what we hear. A nd could be employed to help locate the worst offender locations in a room/setting. Seeing is believing when dealing with invisible (to the human eye) sound waves when they hit walls, corners, fireplaces and surfaces that become resonators and/or standing waves. Heck I just want to play with one! :cool:
The biggest problems for that use is the practicality considering the large wavelengths of the biggest room problems which are usually in the modal region, that's why it is till now mainly used for NVH issues in the OEM industry which are usually in the mid and high frequency band.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another interesting gadget from Microflown.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it April 1, 2023 already?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another interesting gadget from Microflown.

THE REAL 3D SOUND INTENSITY PROBE

The state of the art sensor used in the system is the three dimensional 1⁄2 inch USP probe. The sensor consists of three orthogonally placed Microflown acoustic particle velocity sensors and a sound pressure microphone. The sound intensity can be calculated by taking the time averaged cross spectrum of particle velocity and sound pressure. 3D Sound intensity vectors can be obtained without any frequency limitations covering a range of 20Hz to 10kHz. The small sensor size allows measurements to be taken with an unmatched spatial resolution.

Since I read about the NFS I was always thinking if with such an sound intensity probe someone could make a possibly more accurate NFS alternative.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

THE REAL 3D SOUND INTENSITY PROBE

The state of the art sensor used in the system is the three dimensional 1⁄2 inch USP probe. The sensor consists of three orthogonally placed Microflown acoustic particle velocity sensors and a sound pressure microphone. The sound intensity can be calculated by taking the time averaged cross spectrum of particle velocity and sound pressure. 3D Sound intensity vectors can be obtained without any frequency limitations covering a range of 20Hz to 10kHz. The small sensor size allows measurements to be taken with an unmatched spatial resolution.

Since I read about the NFS I was always thinking if with such an sound intensity probe someone could make a possibly more accurate NFS alternative.
Indeed!

With the Microflown p-u (pressure-velocity) probe, one can perform sound field separation to obtain quasi-anechoic measurements (reference), which is an alternate method to the one Klippel uses with its NFS. Come to think about it, I wonder why no one has come up with a speaker measurement system using the Microflown p-u probe to compete with Klippel. The p-u probe currently has a upper frequency limit of 14 kHz. However, even Klippel doesn't use sound field separation at the higher frequencies as time gated data are sufficient.

The p-u probe (Scan&Paint) can also be used to measure speaker cabinet sound radiation, which the NFS at this time cannot do because the measurement mic needs to be placed very very close to and conformal with the speaker cabinet surfaces to get good enough readings.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Last edited:

robwpdx

I am missing something here. There are synthetic aperture microphone arrays. For instance Flir makes one.

It seems like to do anything exotic at acoustic wavelengths at a distance in 3-space needs another sensor probed by a short wavelength to interact with air density. That would be something along the lines of doppler radar or LIDAR. Maybe Multi-View Acoustic Field Imaging With Digital Color Holography https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphot.2022.929031/full?

Last edited:
Top Bottom