• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Acourate Room Correction on a mini PC

Hasan Aydin

I would like to assemble a mini windows pc for only DSP processing in the monitoring path. I use Audiovero Acourate convolver with FIR filter and over 100k taps. How much CPU power, ram and memory would be recommended? it should not be too expensive.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Build from regular parts and use multichannel PCI audio card which did good hire or elswer regarding measurements. A low to medium DTP desktop CPU (45~65W) is advised and you can go either pasive cooling or active preferring quiet fans. Use micro or mini ATX boards with small enclosure case that can fit it in and don't use discreet GPU. 16 GB RAM is enough. Use quite good quality PSU (no need for anything either very efficient nor with strong output and expensive but still with a good headroom W autput so that utilisation stays in 60% range all the time). See for example Be Quite PSU with silent wings 3 fan and use all the same fans for everything else (not to have different pitch from different one's) and not more than 5 including one on PSU.
Don't use any of mini PC's it won't work (you will be limited to two channels to my better knowledge).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
On the other hand if you don't nead it to do the analog output you will be fine with mini PC's as they are.
Edit: please try to explain what you mean by "for only DSP processing in the monitoring path".
Suggestion whose regarding all DSP processing you might need and on PC.

OP
Hasan Aydin

Hasan Aydin

On the other hand if you don't nead it to do the analog output you will be fine with mini PC's as they are.
Edit: please try to explain what you mean by "for only DSP processing in the monitoring path".
Suggestion whose regarding all DSP processing you might need and on PC.
Thanks!

I'm working in my main Main PC with a DAW and wanted to route the output with the RME Digiface to the second PC with the acourate convolver software running (connected with maybe another Digiface). From there the signal is passed to my DA converter and to the speakers. 4 channels.

I don't want to do anything else with this second PC, only the acourate convolver software should run. Also I thought about a Raspberry Pi4 but don't know if the power is enough for that.

16gb would be a bit overkill I think.

Edit: the whole setup should be like a Hardware convolver.

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I started using Acourate about 7 years ago. Back then I used an Intel i7-6700, no GPU, and 16GB RAM, built into a Micro-ATX board and passively cooled. It was more than enough to run Acourate. Playback was a different story, particularly as I was running 8 convolution channels with very long taps as well as upsampling everything. To give you an idea, my i7-6700 was running at 50-60% CPU usage just running two programs - JRiver and Acourate Convolver.

A year ago I updated my PC with an i7-9700. It currently sits at about 10% CPU usage with temps of 55-60C, still passively cooled, and running 8 channels of convolution. If your needs are less demanding than mine (e.g. if you only run 2 channels) then you should be fine even with a relatively low end PC.

tinnitus

I am using a RPI 3b+ with 4 65k acourate FIr Filter with CamillaDsp and it works fine and need 10% Cpu. And it works also with 8 Channels.

Top Bottom