• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Accuphase DG-68 EQ Eliminating Double conversion

TolaJr

Forum Donor
After an in-home listening test, The DG-68 resolved a few issues Ive had with my speakers and room acoustics in my system. I have been struggling for years trying to get satisfactory bass from my horn loaded speakers, and the DG-68 so far has been performing wonderfully.

The DG-68 is currently positioned between my Pre-amp and AMP. While Im happy with the results, when Im listening through my DAC>Pre>DG-68, Im concerned that the sound signal is being processed by two separate DACS as the DG performs ADC>DAC internally and would potentially negate any benefits of a higher end DAC upstream.

The unit has digital inputs which I am willing to try but do not want to purchase the equipment yet unless I am confident it will work. There are two scenarios that I emailed Accuphase with and have not heard back. Unfortunately the accuphase dealer in my country doesn't speak good English and I has little experience with streaming, etc. I was hoping someone could help shed some light on the viability of these scenarios and any upsides/downsides.

Scenario One - Use a streaming bridge ( Auralic ) to digitally feed the DG-68 and use the internal DAC, output VIA analog on the DG-68.
Scenario Two - Use a streaming bridge to feed the DG-68, and digital outputs to feed an external DAC ( Im leaning towards a Chord HUGO TT2 or Qutest )

Thanks for any assistance with this setup.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As this appears to be your first post to ASR, welcome. Hope you find it a valuable resource as well as being fun to take part in.

I'd say scenario One is the better choice. Either will work just fine. I say the first is better because if you are happy with what you are hearing now then I would not swap to a different DAC.

I wouldn't sweat the double conversion much as far as that goes. Below are threads where I took music, sent it out DAC to record with ADC. Then took ADC result to send out over DAC and record with ADC again. I did this 8 times so you are hearing the results of looping thru the DAC/ADC 8 generations from the original. Each thread used different gear and none of it of the caliber of your Accuphase. You can take a look, download those files and you get to compare 8th generation copies to the originals. One extra pass thru your DG68 isn't going to be this bad, and this is marginally if at all audible.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-choose-the-8th-generation-digital-copy.6827/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dac-loop-vs-the-original-can-you-hear-it.448/

OP
TolaJr

TolaJr

Forum Donor
Thank you. That is definitely the more simple setup, and I saw that thread and appreciate you posting it. I am just unsure if the unit will let me do that. I guess in either case, I'll need a streaming bridge to feed so I'll start with that purchase and see where that gets me.

I was also slightly reluctant to go this route given some of the negative reviews of the design and application of ESS chips Ive read about in this forum.

OP
TolaJr

TolaJr

Forum Donor
I purchased the Auralic and the DG-68 can act as a standalone DAC.
Interesting it is not marketed as such as the DAC portion of the device has the same chipset as Accuphases' top of the line CD/SACD players.

Nascimento

My Accuphase DG68 arrived, at first, I turned it on between pre and power, it played well, but for my use, the best application is as a DAC!
I connect my DCS Bridge to the Coaxial input of the DG-68.
I connect my Accuphase DP78 to the optical input of the DG 68
In the future I will connect the HS Link output of the Accuphase DP 570 that is arriving, in the HS Link input of the DG68!
This was the best result!
This way the DAC, the DSP, the equalizer and the RTA keep working fully and I don't have double digital conversion!

Top Bottom