• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
AC Infinity Airplate S5 + Controller 8 impressions
Recently completed adding some cooling fans to my A/V cabinet as it’s not particularly well-ventilated. Decided to go with some equipment from AC Infinity. Didn’t know anything about the brand ahead of time, but prices seemed reasonable and reviews were generally positive.

My Setup
  1. Installed two Airplate S5 fans in the back of the A/V cabinet. One fan on the back of the top shelf which has my AVR + U-verse receiver/DVR, the latter of which has a lot of free air flow but runs burning hot all the time. One fan on the back of the bottom shelf which has an Xbox and an 8-port gigabit switch.
  2. Installed and configured a Controller 8. This basically acts as a thermostat: it reads the temperature (using small probes that you install) and runs the fans based on how you decide to set it up. It has the ability to separately control 4 different zones but I’m only using it for 2 zones.

AirplateS5_Controller8_600x267.png

Total price was $120 US. It was $30 each for the S5 fans (x2) and $60 for the Controller 8. The nice thing about the controller having 4 zones is that I can add another fan if I need to without having to buy another controller.

Pros
  • Reasonably priced.
  • Clean look. My fans are installed in back, but I would have been fine if I had to install them on the side where they would have been visible.
  • Easy install. You need a jigsaw and a drill, but after that it’s pretty easy. (Setting aside how annoying it is to pull all of your A/V equipment out of the cabinet and put it back in.) They include a plastic template you can use to place and draw your guide lines.
  • The Controller 8 is a little quirky to configure but not difficult. (There’s no app, so you have to do all the config via the on-screen menus.) And a really legit set of configuration options: there’s the static ON or OFF settings, but there’s also an Auto setting (most like a standard thermostat) and a Smart setting (like a thermostat but can control the fan at variable speeds; i.e., drive the fan harder the hotter it gets). Nice that it has an alarm temp setting as well.
  • The S5 fans do a good job moving air. I looked at other fan sizes as well, but for my cabinet the 6-inch fans were too big. (The S5 fans are only 4.4 inches high.) The dual fans can pull a lot of hot air out and quickly drop the shelf temp.

Cons
  • These are louder than I expected. Even on the lowest fan setting I know when they’re on vs. when they’re off. (I’m using the Auto mode on the controller.) Terrible? No, but noticeable. And probably would be bad if I had to crank up the fan above the lowest speed. I was just hoping that with the fans in the back of my A/V cabinet I wouldn’t hear them at all.
    • I think these may be better suited for more enclosed cabinets. On my top shelf it’s open in the front, there’s no door. As such I can directly hear the back of the fan when it’s on. But if the fan was in a cabinet that had doors you probably wouldn’t hear much. It’s definitely quieter on the exhaust side (the outside) of the fan unit so placing these on the side of a A/V cabinet shouldn’t be an issue.
  • Possible I didn’t set it up correctly but Smart mode was too sensitive. In that mode my fan kept turning off and on every 10 seconds or so. The temp would go up by 1 degree (F) and the fan would turn on; after a short while the temp wold go down by 1 degree (F) and the fan would turn off. I gave up trying to figure it out and changed the mode to Auto.

Overall Impression
My A/V cabinet design dictated that I get some fans, so I’m glad I have these now. And there’s no way I would install the fans without the Controller 8 thermostat; it’s a top-notch product and seems like a must-have to me. But not quite the whisper quiet fans I was hoping for at the lowest speeds. Probably better suited for closed cabinets, and not one like mine that has some openings in the front. If I found something that I knew would be quieter I'd likely make the upgrade.

Curious if any other members have used the AC Infinity fans and what their impressions are. Also curious about any issues with reliability / longevity.

Last edited:
OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
AC Infinity Aircom S8 impressions

My Setup
I have a vintage harman/kardon hk670 amp that’s in a cabinet. The cabinet has a large vent in the back, but not much room above the hk670 where the amp vent holes are. As such I wanted something to pull the heat off the top of the amp and vent it out the back.

I went with the Aircom S8 because it does what I needed it to do. It’s exactly the right size and vents out the back (not the front or top). I also appreciate the very limited/clean design of the front face as I didn’t want the fan to be visually distracting.
  • I looked at the Aircom S6 as well. However, it is much smaller than the S8. I didn’t think it would be a good option for me as I suspected I’d have to run the S6 on high to get the same level of cooling as the S8; I didn’t want that extra noise.
  • I also looked at the Aircom T8. Some cool features but I didn’t need them. And I was definitely not into the front display of the T8.
Total price was $80 US including shipping.

AircomS8_600x209.jpg

Pros
  • Reasonably priced.
  • Clean look. Has almost the same length x width of my hk670 but is slight smaller, so it doesn’t hang over anywhere. Also a very clean look on the front display.
  • Easy to install + configure. I already had the back vent so didn’t need to do any cutouts of my cabinet. Configuring the fan took ~2 minutes. (Instructions are provided.)
  • Very quiet on the 2 lowest fan settings. On fan speeds 1 and 2 (of 4) I simply don’t notice the fans are on at all when listening to music, even at low volumes.

Cons
  • The two highest fan speeds are too loud to be usable. (Unless you’re really blasting your music / sound.)

Overall Impression
This seems like a no-brainer to protect amps or other audio equipment if your setup requires it. Especially vintage stuff that runs really hot and can be near impossible to replace. Very happy with this purchase.

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I went with the T8 because I like displays. :) I’ve had it for a year-and-a-half and it’s done a great job of keeping my hot-running Yamaha RX-Z9 cool. Definitely made a difference. My only complaint, I wish they’d put the manuals on line. I lost mine when we moved.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My biggest issue with any active cooling devices, is the fact that 99% of them don't use Noctua fans.

Can't get over how much performance per db of silence this company puts out with their fans.

There are some quieter fans...but they probably won't stay quiet for as long as Noctuas.

At this point I'm starting to think those bearings will outlive me. I have some that have been running 24/7 for I think 13 years now and are still silky smooth.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
One point I was just ranting about this morning was airflow and boxes and fans. The huge issue I have with fans and boxes of all sorts is the additional dust.

The way to solve the fan dust issue is to get positive pressure in the box (and filter the fans and clean the filter). In other words, you have to blow into the enclosure. To avoid it blowing on your face, that means fans in the front, which is ridiculous for a cabinet.

This is far less of an issue with the open front cabinet you describe, however.

If the included fans are 12v, switching them with Noctua might be possible.

Tks

Major Contributor
There are some quieter fans...but they probably won't stay quiet for as long as Noctuas.

At this point I'm starting to think those bearings will outlive me. I have some that have been running 24/7 for I think 13 years now and are still silky smooth.

Problem's I've had was slow lengthening of the blades in the past (where the ends would touch the fan surrounding housing after year so centrifugal forces). Companies soon wised up to that, and started making a bigger gap between the fan blade and the housing edge. Only problem is, when you do that, you lose out on considerable throughput of air.

Noctua after years brought their next gen fan, and I am in shock with how stable it is, and rigid, while almost touching the edge of the housing.

Pretty much the best 120mm fan in existence if you ask me.

https://noctua.at/pub/media/catalog...b2bc7bdaa94de933/n/o/noctua_nf_a12x25_1_8.jpg
noctua_nf_a12x25_1_8.jpg

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
Just read the manual for this product. It is designed to operate on 5v, but Noctua has you covered with the NF-F12 5v. Check it out. Specs show higher noise than the fans you use, but you just need to run them slower, and the specs are likely more honest.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Problem's I've had was slow lengthening of the blades in the past (where the ends would touch the fan surrounding housing after year so centrifugal forces). Companies soon wised up to that, and started making a bigger gap between the fan blade and the housing edge. Only problem is, when you do that, you lose out on considerable throughput of air.

Noctua after years brought their next gen fan, and I am in shock with how stable it is, and rigid, while almost touching the edge of the housing.

Pretty much the best 120mm fan in existence if you ask me.

https://noctua.at/pub/media/catalog...b2bc7bdaa94de933/n/o/noctua_nf_a12x25_1_8.jpg
noctua_nf_a12x25_1_8.jpg
Definitely. I use four 140mm Noctua fans in my computer. Took it from jet engine to silence even under high load.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Just read the manual for this product. It is designed to operate on 5v, but Noctua has you covered with the NF-F12 5v. Check it out. Specs show higher noise than the fans you use, but you just need to run them slower, and the specs are likely more honest.
Yea, I have to say that those fan manufacturer specs are beyond meaningless. A-weighted and no data about measurement conditions (anechoic chamber? distance? enclosure/no enclosure? RPM?). I remember looking up reviews a few years ago and the writers interested in measurements would do tests in their office or room at home, the computer on the table and the microphone a short distance away. Some effort at controls in other words, but no sign of deeper acoustical understanding. I don't think it's a big leap between a manufacturer which hides or obscures performance data, an amateur or professional reviewer producing questionable results and judgments, and a consumer who has no idea what the hell is going on.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have both - and would concur with your observations.

I have two of the AC Infinity Controller setups, one running two of their dual Airplate fans (Controller8), one running dual 8" (200mm) Noctuas (Controller12).

The Airplate one is used to exhaust ceiling heat buildup out a window, the Noctua one is cooling my audio rack...both are about 12-15' from my listening position. (Correction: the Airplate one is more like 20 feet, including vertical.)

- The controllers are GREAT, and they work fine with Noctuas (I chose the 12v ones). They've added some new versions since I got the 19" rack mount one.
Including a very interesting rack, with embedded fans/controllers - looks like a new controller display/design:
https://www.acinfinity.com/rack-cabinet-fan-systems/
There was also some talk about them adding a multi-sensor version...so, zone control?

- The Airplate fans are just too noisy. I can hear them 'engage' at about any speed setting.
BUT, they are cheap, and do the job; glad they are only needed in really hot weather, and are temp controlled.
I MAY someday replace them with Noctuas, but, $$$$.

- The Noctuas are as close to silent as possible; I can barely hear them from my LP at full speed...but so far have never needed that.
(I've also used other smaller Noctuas for other uses, all are nearly silent.)
One 'knock' on the Noctuas is that the fan blades are fragile - I happened to let one 8" slip out of my hands from about 30", and it hit the edge of a cabinet on the way down, breaking off one of the blades instantly, turning it into beautiful trash. I added beefy fan guards on both sides of those fan installations.

Noctua all the way for fans, AC Infinity all the way for controllers.

Both products are very well made, & come with all kinds of handy accessories (Noctua has a 'black' version, cheaper, no bits & pieces), and excellent manuals. Both are pretty amazing for the price.

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

I have two of the AC Infinity Controller setups, one running two of their dual Airplate fans (Controller8), one running dual 8" (200mm) Noctuas (Controller12).

The Airplate one is used to exhaust ceiling heat buildup out a window, the Noctua one is cooling my audio rack...both are about 12-15' from my listening position. (Correction: the Airplate one is more like 20 feet, including vertical.)

- The controllers are GREAT, and they work fine with Noctuas (I chose the 12v ones). They've added some new versions since I got the 19" rack mount one.
Including a very interesting rack, with embedded fans/controllers - looks like a new controller display/design:
https://www.acinfinity.com/rack-cabinet-fan-systems/
There was also some talk about them adding a multi-sensor version...so, zone control?

- The Airplate fans are just too noisy. I can hear them 'engage' at about any speed setting.
BUT, they are cheap, and do the job; glad they are only needed in really hot weather, and are temp controlled.
I MAY someday replace them with Noctuas, but, $$$$.

- The Noctuas are as close to silent as possible; I can barely hear them from my LP at full speed...but so far have never needed that.
(I've also used other smaller Noctuas for other uses, all are nearly silent.)
One 'knock' on the Noctuas is that the fan blades are fragile - I happened to let one 8" slip out of my hands from about 30", and it hit the edge of a cabinet on the way down, breaking off one of the blades instantly, turning it into beautiful trash. I added beefy fan guards on both sides of those fan installations.

Both products are very well made, & come with all kinds of handy accessories (Noctua has a 'black' version, cheaper, no bits & pieces), and excellent manuals. Both are pretty amazing for the price.

Thanks for the detailed review. Out of curiosity: do you have a model number or link to the Noctua fan you're using for your audio cabinet?

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
I gotta say, if I was controlling an enclosure, I would use an aquaero from aquacomputer to control fans like I do on my water cooled computer. The device can do everything you could possibly want, and control based on multiple sensors with precise speed control.

Burning Sounds

Yep. me, too. I have an AC Infinity S8 sitting on top of my Apollon Audio NCMP8350. The S8 is fitted with the black Noctua redux fans and I've also repositioned the sensor so it sits over the hottest part of the amp.

Like the OP I also use the Auto mode, but not the Smart mode for one of the same reasons - it tends to turn on and off too often. The other reason is that my S8 seems to output slighly low voltage so that it only puts out 4.5v on the lowest setting and the Noctua's need 5v to get going so don't start on the lowest setting in Smart mode. On Auto mode they come on at the third speed and are very quiet.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
Yea, I have to say that those fan manufacturer specs are beyond meaningless. A-weighted and no data about measurement conditions (anechoic chamber? distance? enclosure/no enclosure? RPM?). I remember looking up reviews a few years ago and the writers interested in measurements would do tests in their office or room at home, the computer on the table and the microphone a short distance away. Some effort at controls in other words, but no sign of deeper acoustical understanding. I don't think it's a big leap between a manufacturer which hides or obscures performance data, an amateur or professional reviewer producing questionable results and judgments, and a consumer who has no idea what the hell is going on.

A casual walk through the psychoacoustics section of this forum is enough to see that the sound measurements of fans are meaningless. How loud is less important than how loud at what frequencies.

Neddy

Out of curiosity: do you have a model number or link to the Noctua fan you're using for your audio cabinet?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SLFBNY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I agree that noise frequency and mounting can make a difference.
I sampled a few other fans from other (cheaper) suppliers; none were as quiet for my uses/preferences as the Noctuas (some were close, and ok as Just Fans, but not audio rack quiet).
I also use one of the 200mm Noctuas as a desk fan, mounted in one of these, whose motors die young, and powered by a Milw M12 battery:)
1589740059358.jpeg

Noctuas come with silicon sleeves over their mounting holes; I did not use bushings on my 1/2'" plywood 12x20" 'fan' doors, and resonance is not an issue for that. (But haven't measured it, either:)

I've really not experimented much between auto and smart mode; turns out in my rack apparently I over did the cooling capacity a bit - as I'd intended. I also have not thorougly explored best/hottest placement of the temp probe yet, either (same reason), but expect to be doing some re-racking soon, and will do it then.

Aquaero looks wild - good do know! ...but pricey. I have a similar but really cheap controller/sensor/display on my big PC's cooler, but is mostly unreadable even 5 degrees off axis, so largely useless.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SLFBNY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Noctuas come with silicon sleeves over their mounting holes; I did not use bushings on my 1/2'" plywood 12x20" 'fan' doors, and resonance is not an issue for that. (But haven't measured it, either:)

FYI, some of the redux versions do not have silicon mounting points. I couldn't tell you definitively which models that is the case for. But, I was mildly disappointed by their absence last time I ordered some.

Neddy

Ah, I was going to mention that. Don't recall if the ones I got came with spares. Might be able to order them separately?

Top Bottom