• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AC Direct DC Enabler

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
While not too applicable to audio products at the moment, this new technology definitely looks interesting if it actually performs as advertsed:

The death of transformers?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting certainly, but very light on technical information. Without transformers, how do they provide galvanic insulation between the mains and the DC output? Without that, I question safety in case of faults. How do they deal with switching artefacts, assuming some sort of switch-mode mechanism. Too many questions, not enough information.

S.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Sounds like the usual BS that comes up every once in a while:

1641825559060.png

- Transformers are for isolation. You can either isolate with transformers or capacitors (X or Y-rated, not just any capacitor). If they are doing capacitor isolation, they may run into some patents on AC and it is nothing new
- Electrolytics are for bulk storage (also needed if you need PF/THD compliance)
- There have been simple switched cap non-isolated supplies over the years.

1641825720313.png

- 5W / CI is not that high. Perhaps at 0.2W, not at 15W.
- 480V ... so that needs 800V FETs. Let's see how they handle surge (without magnetics).

I am sure they have some interesting technology, but you still have basic physics you have to follow so they are probably being a little optimistic w.r.t. where they can play.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Infineon Technologies showing interest. If it actually isn't just talk and no walk, that might result in some tiny super efficient "digital" amplifiers?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Reading between the lines I'd guess this thing gets built-into the AC outlet so they can include GFI circuitry.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vicor is already selling this type of product (120 W/in^3). Expensive, and in modules instead of in chips.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Infineon Technologies showing interest. If it actually isn't just talk and no walk, that might result in some tiny super efficient "digital" amplifiers?

If it is not isolated, then it won't work for amplifiers. You can capacitively isolate, but due to frequency and leakage restrictions in UL, you are limited to about 50W, maybe you could get 10 or 15 more. It's physics.

I don't see any real efficiency improvement, maybe for small smart speakers.

Top Bottom