• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss Diana V2 Review (headphone)

imagidominc

Forum Donor
So the owner is greedy and a crook, but that crook makes unbelievable headphones nonetheless.

Honestly Asouna, you seem like the perfect customer for Abyss and other companies like them. It is people like you that are willing to buy their "magical" headphones, cables, and amps that keep their business model afloat.

That being said, nobody can take away your personal experience away from you. I'm sure these are the best headphones you've ever heard. And that's geniunely okay for you to feel that. Nobody here should be telling you that you're wrong for having a great experience with them, and that you should trash these cans and go buy new ones.

But what's not okay is for you to say they are objectively amazing headphones when they have clearly been demonstrated to not be. If your only rebuttal is "well you haven't head these headphones so your opinion doesn't matter", then you've missed the point of this website. There is no guarantee that if every single one of us listened to the same headphone as you, we would come to the same conclusion you did. In science, we have to be clinical about certain things, and take our feelings out of the equation.

Maki

Hey guys, happy new year to you all,

As a customer of Abyss, and owner of a pair of V2's I have some things I would like to mention. Firstly, with all due respect to Amir, he is not a client of theirs, and so from their perspective, they are getting their good work put in question, by someone who has no credentials in their eyes. With regards to their customer service, I can tell you that they are unbelievably customer-centric. The cable that I received had an issue in which it would clip the audio anytime I moved around (bad connector). I emailed them about this issue. Without questioning me, or asking for any kind of proof, they offered to ship me via UPS a brand new cable. They even made it longer and changed the connector to a different one that I had originally ordered. Mind you I live in Mozambique. Sorry, but I really have to defend Abyss on this one. When you buy one of their products, they go above nd beyond to keep you happy.

Secondly, I have to put Amirs measurements in question. I own a variety of Amps as well as the Meze Empyreans, ZMF Verites, and Fostex TH900mk2. And I can tell you without a doubt, that the V2's demolish all my other headphones in every single category. It is simply the most transparent, fast, impactful, super spacious sound I have ever heard. To the point that I cannot even listen to my other headphones anymore, they all sound so congested and condensed now. There is another point I need to mention, which is something I never thought I would find myself saying. Cables matter. I had been using cheap RCA cables up until now. And I never once heard any kind of audio clipping in the Bass region until I got the V2's. At first I thought it was my amp, but I switched it out and would get clipping with all my amps. Low and behold, I upgraded my RCA cables to quality cables and it all dissapeared. The V2's need an absolute perfect setup to shine, and dear god, once you give it all the quality juice they need, they reward you with a sound that will make you forget every other headphone you ever heard.

You guys can thrash Abyss all day, but to be honest, you are only depriving yourself of true audio Nirvana. Instead of talking trash about a company who pours their love into crafting headphones for us the consumer, go and actually listen to their headphones with an open mind.

These are simply put, the best headphones ever, but not when it comes to comfort. XD
Masterfully done. Almost fell for it.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots and lots of opinions here, but so many of you have not actually heard these headphones, nor the Phi, nor the 1266. So you have absolutely no frame of reference by which to judge the measurements that Amir made.

its like arguing about the merits of chocolate, without ever having tasted chocolate.

You are welcome to your neverland, Peter Pan fantasy and opinions regarding your experience. We have our opinion, based on the numbers provided irrespective of not owning the headphones. The crux of the conversation now is not the merit of the headphones but the lack of transparency and accountability. As I said enjoy your experience and we shall ours.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm getting really tired of people (and companies) thinking a retired old man is out there to get them and he hates expensive things :rolleyes:
Z0zEvJO.gif

What you talking about BUSTER??? I am older than some of you but I AM NOT OLD!!!

Now, where is that bottle of hair dye... And my car keys.... Keep forgetting stuff....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey guys, happy new year to you all,
Happy new year to you as well.

As a customer of Abyss, and owner of a pair of V2's I have some things I would like to mention. Firstly, with all due respect to Amir, he is not a client of theirs, and so from their perspective, they are getting their good work put in question, by someone who has no credentials in their eyes.
What? You are saying now I have to get into eye treatment as well? How do I fix their eyes?

Did they disagree just as well with random youtube reviews and online people who gush over their products? Surely they have no qualifications to speak of. Just saying....

nerdoldnerdith

So the owner is greedy and a crook, but that crook makes unbelievable headphones nonetheless.

That's the misconception here. The owner, Joe, is an audiophile who believes in magic and hidden variables and has grifted on audiophiles by selling them overpriced cables.

It's his son Eric who makes the headphones, though. His son is a degreed engineer who follows the science. I'm sure either of them would be willing to have a good-faith discussion about their products, but it's really the engineer designing the headphones and not the cable vendor whose brain needs to be picked.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Check this out folks from Jude's latest post (or missive I should say):

11407017.jpg

See what I am seeing? Color graphs. Nice aspect ratio instead of those super wide graphs that distorted everything. His vertical scale is wrong (non compliant with industry standards such as ANSI/CEA-2034) but at least we have the rest: a much easier to see and understand graph.

Why is this important? Because when you post graphs that are hard to read, people's eyes just skip over them and just read the text. Such text is routinely different than the information in the graphs, leading to confusion on the part of the reader.

BTW, on the content of the above graph, we see how different the B&K 5128 is from GRAS 45C. It is showing much higher response even at 3 kHz even though that part of the response is common with current standard. Likely the fit was not the same on 5128 than it was on 45C. The rest is radically different as well. Without proper research to develop a target curve, the 5128 simply is not useful for any review work to predict listener preference.

Anyway, we are making progress in getting people to present data much more clearly and better.

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
As a customer of Abyss, and owner of a pair of V2's I have some things I would like to mention...
With regards to their customer service, I can tell you that they are unbelievably customer-centric. The cable that I received had an issue in which it would clip the audio anytime I moved around (bad connector). I emailed them about this issue. Without questioning me, or asking for any kind of proof, they offered to ship me via UPS a brand new cable. They even made it longer and changed the connector to a different one that I had originally ordered. Mind you I live in Mozambique. Sorry, but I really have to defend Abyss on this one. When you buy one of their products, they go above nd beyond to keep you happy.
I'm guessing you will likely not be reading this since you have been banned from posting further in this thread, but I do think their is merit in addressing some of your points. There have been posts raising concerns about Abyss' customer service, you provide evidence to the contrary. Although valuable, please note that your experience serves as a single data point and does not negate the issues raised by others. The complaints about apparent poor workmanship in their expensive HP (e.g. wrinkled ribbons) appear to have been poorly handled by Abyss. Perhaps you may want to consider the company's response to such customers before suggesting they are "unbelievably customer-centric."
Firstly, with all due respect to Amir, he is not a client of theirs, and so from their perspective, they are getting their good work put in question, by someone who has no credentials in their eyes
I'm sure when you wrote this it made perfect sense. Amirm is not a client, so why should he be allowed to question Abyss' products. Surely you are not trying to suggest that all independent evaluations should be made by clients of a vendor? How is that an independent evaluation? As to credentials, did you bother reading Amirm's? Did you read their claim that they do not use measurement to design their products, how does that affect your assessment of their credentials? Should the fact that they are incredibly dishonest in their description of the value of PC and cables in general affect how one evaluates their credentials? Should their unwillingness to provide data to support their claim against Amirm's measurements affect their credentials? Could the fact that they used a party beholden to them as a "third" party to measure their HP be used to discredit them? If the party criticizing their work is inept, then credentials don't matter, it should be easy to discredit the work of said inept party without relying on simple personal attacks.
Secondly, I have to put Amirs measurements in question. I own a variety of Amps as well as the Meze Empyreans, ZMF Verites, and Fostex TH900mk2.
Good, so you will be able to demonstrate why Amirm's measurements are poorly derived and failed to properly identify the strengths and weaknesses of the HP in question.
And I can tell you without a doubt, that the V2's demolish all my other headphones in every single category. It is simply the most transparent, fast, impactful, super spacious sound I have ever heard.
I thought you were going to demonstrate how and why Amirm's measurements are to be dismissed. The above noted statement is merely a personal preference. No one is arguing your are not entitled to a personal preference. The question is whether Amirm's measurements have any credibility? Are his measurements accurate or do they fail in some manner? For an analysis that is being criticized for being poorly done (according to you and some defenders of the HP), it surely should not be so difficult to discredit Amirm's measurements and conclusions (especially as it pertains to distortion measurements).
There is another point I need to mention, which is something I never thought I would find myself saying. Cables matter. I had been using cheap RCA cables up until now. And I never once heard any kind of audio clipping in the Bass region until I got the V2's. At first I thought it was my amp, but I switched it out and would get clipping with all my amps. Low and behold, I upgraded my RCA cables to quality cables and it all dissapeared. The V2's need an absolute perfect setup to shine, and dear god, once you give it all the quality juice they need, they reward you with a sound that will make you forget every other headphone you ever heard.
This is an odd statement, and I'm not sure how it makes your case. I will not bother discussing the merits of cables since their is not much about it in your statement. As I understand it, your statement is as follows: my cheap RCA's made my amps clip -> I could only discern this because my HP are so transparent -> expensive cables cured the problem. As you know, cables do not provide amplification, so they cannot "clip". However, cables can have poor contacts and maybe you interpreted that as clipping. It this is the case, then we are not discussing cables making a difference, but rather poor contacts making a difference, and I doubt there are many people arguing poor contacts do not make a difference. Please note, that if in fact you were hearing clipping, then the "upgraded" cables are somehow masking the signal (yes, cables can be poorly designed, many examples of them exist in high-end audio) because you no longer hear the clipping. If the latter is the case, then your system is less transparent with the new cables not more. As to the rest of your statement, it is irrelevant since there has been no criticism of the gear Amirm uses to audition HP (btw, some of the gear Amirm uses is exorbitant, overpriced high end gear :) )
You guys can thrash Abyss all day, but to be honest, you are only depriving yourself of true audio Nirvana...These are simply put, the best headphones ever, but not when it comes to comfort. XD
If you are that close to Nirvana, why waste your time in forums such as ASR. You know you are not trying to persuade anyone and instead you are depriving yourself of time better spent in "audio Nirvana".

One last point, many individuals seem to join the forum when a favored product of theirs is poorly reviewed. With few exceptions, they seem to be operating under the belief that the forum is populated by individuals governed by poor intellectual rigor, who have never been exposed to the enlightenment of pure subjectivism protected by the pride of ownership (surely, if the item were poor, I would not have purchased it). May I suggest that in the future, if you are such a person, at least spend a little time reading the forum and getting a sense of the discourse the participants are operating under. If your purpose is to persuade, at the very least you need to be cognizant of the intellectual practices driving the discussions; this will facilitate your task of illustrating the poor logic that undergirds the discussions. However, if you are driven by some form of narcissism, extreme loyalty, or poor understanding of the matter under discussion, you may want to refrain from commenting, since the small elation you may derive from triggering the "opposition" could be achieved through much better use of your time (e.g. participating in your preferred forums).

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but letting your opinion of a company colour the way you view a product by itself, is not very objective.

But this is the exactly the same thing you're doing, and it's obvious to anyone with no skin in this game. Not a knock against you, btw, it's a flaw that we all share, as humans. There's no avoiding it.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Woof. What a $h-t show. +1 for Amir's perspective. He was generous to the product considering the price.

It costs more than 300× the Sonys and is not designed well enough to compete technically. What a joke!

If you bought them and like them, I get it, I have and love Focal Clears, but you should try to step back, as I have, and respect another position that is grounded in facts and evidence.

Last edited:

MiradoOne

Forum Donor
Woof. What a $h-t show. +1 for Amir's perspective. He was generous to the product considering the price.

It costs more than 300× the Sonys and is not designed well enough to compete technically. What a joke!

If you bought them amd like them, I get it, I have and love Focal Clears, but you should try to step back, as I have, and respect another position that is grounded in facts and evidence.

Sincerely. No one is (or should be) saying that these graphs trump your belief that the Diana V2s are the best sounding/clearest/most resolving/etc headphones that you've ever had. No graph or measurement in the world is going to disprove that. The issue comes from thinking your beliefs are an established, unchallengeable fact and that any evidence to the contrary should be handled with nuclear level hostilities. These measurements, assuming Amir's methodology is solid (and I see no evidence across many reviews that it isn't), is pretty undeniable proof that these headphones have multiple engineering issues and aren't worth what they cost from a technical perspective.

No one is saying you can't think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread despite the measurements. But don't confuse that to mean the measurements are invalid because you feel that way.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
If you bought them amd like them, I get it, I have and love Focal Clears, but you should try to step back, as I have, and respect another position that is grounded in facts and evidence.

This is the right stance to take. If Amir measures the Elex and says it measures bad, I’m still not giving them up. I love them, flaws and all. Amir’s reviews should simply be used as a reference tool.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is an implicit message from all the defenders of Abyss that what they make is beyond criticism. And that I am the lone voice in that. While I was the first one to measure the Diana V2, there are other measurements and reviews of such for its close sister, Diana Phi. Let's go over what was said about that: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/abyss-diana-phi-review

DMS_Diana_Phi_V2.jpg

There is actually very good correlation to my measurements up to 3 kHz or so:

index.php

We even have the same glitch around 400 to 500 Hz. He uses a target with lower bass boost but otherwise, he also shows droop in bass frequencies. Here is what he has to say on analysis of his frequency response measurement:

1611116763075.png

That is precisely what I found. Pulling the cups *away* from the artificial ear creates *more* bass, not less. So the whole argument about "needing better seal" is busted. I measured as much as 5 dB increase when I pulled the cups away!

1611116905319.png

Look at the 1 to 2 kHz on my graph. It exceeds our target just as well as he says. I put in a correction of -2 dB in my EQ for that.

1611117011476.png

You can see that I also have a peak around 3 kHz as well with deficiencies on either side. I put in two filters to compensate for these.

1611117130454.png

[...]
1611117174524.png

Measurements are not accurate in those regions and what he has is different than mine. But generally, I put in a shelf filter to cut out the highs as I was bothered by them:

index.php

Here is his EQ:

EQ.jpg

We see a bass boost and reduction in 1 to 2 kHz. He finishes with this:

1611117361213.png

You don't highly recommend EQ if the tonality was correct as is.

Conclusions
As you can see, there is so much commonality between Andrew's analysis and mine even though we used two different headphones (and slightly different measurement gear). Therefore the notion that everyone praises these headphones is just wrong. There is no question there are flaws in this headphone and as a minimum you need equalization to fix the tonality. Andrew didn't measure distortion but if he had, I am confident he would arrived at similar conclusions to mine.

The company needs to stay ahead of us by measuring the headphones themselves and making corrections prior to release. Or document what equalization owners need to use. Anything else is going to get them grief because objective analysis is going to bring out the flaws.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sincerely. No one is (or should be) saying that these graphs trump your belief that the Diana V2s are the best sounding/clearest/most resolving/etc headphones that you've ever had.
Actually, I am. :) Let me tell you a story.

I used to go Japan once a month. First day there I was always jetlagged so would wake up at 4 to 5 in the morning and go to the famous Tsukiji fish market. There is a stall there with some of the top sushi in the world. The wait is one hour at 6:00 am! Yes, in the morning! Once I had one of my business development people with me so he came along with me. We stood in line and then got in. Sat in this tiny restaurant and while we are waiting to order, he keeps asking me if I had been to this or that "great" sushi place in Seattle. I smile and say no and he goes on and on about how great their sushi was. We order and our set menu arrives. He puts one piece in his mouth and in shock turns to me and says: "forget everything I said about the sushi places in Seattle! None of them come remotely close to this!"

The morale of the story is that people are not trained to know what is proper sound. This is why Harman trains their listeners. We are spoiled with digital audio being so good these days that even the most horrid sound reproduction devices and systems can delight. Headphones bring with them broad frequency response and with it, a competent presentation in grand scheme of things. So of course people will say this and that headphone sounds great.

I reviewed a $9 headphone yesterday that has 45,000 reviews on Amazon averaging 4.5 star. Are we to assume it is that perfect? No. It has flaws that I documented there. The people who gave it rave reviews just don't have training and high expectations.

My job here is to bring that critical listening and analysis to the table. Unless the person countering that has similar qualifications, then what they say doesn't mean anything even with their own perspective. It is entirely possible and likely probable that either with equalization or another headphone they would have a better experience.

And no, having played with 20 headphones doesn't make you trained. What makes you trained is to try the EQ with headphones I am testing. Play with the levels and frequencies. That is how you learn what tonality means.

So let's not give a pass that this and that headphone must be bringing the owner the best listening experience. Objectively, it can't because of the flaws it has. Very few people like flaws in sound reproduction even though it is commonly said that people do.

Hawaiibadboy

I watch this all as a audio/music lover, not so much into measures beyond doing them to keep up with the joneses.
I am noting the attacks and smearing done to Amir in private messages and videos.

Maybe this would be the time to unite as much as possible,

say what it is, directly to the person (Amir) and he to others, and the community that is very important to the end user (you folks) and a buffer against the bullshit of Jude and Companies ...use this exact moment in time to up your game, say your sorry's (in private, who knows what perceived slights some might have done to others. Suck it up and move on) and up your game via some sorts of agreement to communicate in private when in doubt and stop cannibalizing each other.

That other measurement based names in the hobby are crapping on Amir says more about them than Amir.
HOW GODDAMN HARD.....is it to send mail saying:

Offended: Yo, your ____ is lame, and not enough
Amir: (Explain/apologize)

Step 2
Amir: Yo,____ is total B.S.
Other: (Explain/Apologize)

Step 3

Let's all agree that the next time our emotions infect the process we reach out to each other.

Everybody agrees

The hobby as a whole comes out of the drama better than it went in and thus...it all served a purpose.

MiradoOne

Forum Donor
My job here is to bring that critical listening and analysis to the table. Unless the person countering that has similar qualifications, then what they say doesn't mean anything even with their own perspective. It is entirely possible and likely probable that either with equalization or another headphone they would have a better experience.

I very much enjoyed your story, let me give you one of my own!

I have a very good friend that I've known since kindergarten. We grew up together, went to high school together, stayed in touch when we went to separate colleges, and finally met back up afterward. During college, he met a wonderful girl and decided to marry her (with me as best man, of course. :D). They both share a love of food and cooking, so as a gift I paid for a dinner at a three Michelin star restaurant of their choice. Now, the girl came from a tough, neglectful, very (very) low income background, and when I asked her what her favorite dishes were (in an attempt to find a compatible restaurant with something she'd like), she didn't give me a lot to work with: meatloaf, pot roast, etc. Nothing wrong with those meals, of course, but obviously built to be made on a budget and not something you'd usually find in haute cuisine (well, I have eaten some fun spins on old classics, but I digress). So I helped pick one out, they went, and had a blast. I got a blow by blow for at least two hours of everything they ate, all the wine pairings, and so on. She was totally over the moon. At the end, I asked her "So, what would you take, the meatloaf or that meal?" And without blinking, she said the meatloaf! And by god has she stuck to her guns; every time we go out (well, pre-pandemic) and a restaurant would have A5 grade Kobe Wagyu or whatever, she'd consider it for about two seconds before going "Oh! Chicken!" and that would be that.

The moral of my story is that we humans sometimes want the Big Mac despite better choices. Even with the benefit of perspective and experience, we can prefer the suboptimal. The guy you were with had his mind blown, but I bet we could scrounge up plenty that prefers Seattle's sushi despite going to Jiro's. But what I was driving at is there is a difference between recognizing the suboptimal and preferring it, and being shown that something is suboptimal and denying it. The latter is where my ire lies. You are 100% correct that "It is entirely possible and likely probable that either with equalization or another headphone they would have a better experience." Absolutely. Without question. But I also contend that we can find a person's preferences, give them a set of cans that better matches what they like in all ways (or a better EQ to their existing set, as you mentioned), and then have them STILL prefer their first pick. It could be buyer's remorse, pure delusion that they have "golden ears', or simply spite, but whatever the reason, some will still pick the "wrong" choice. Hell, I bet we could blind ABX any number of people, reveal that they didn't pick what they expected to, and STILL have a few prefer to take home their old set when all is said and done!

I think we are more or less in agreement: the numbers do not lie. When presented with two options, one of which is clearly superior in every way, you should pick the superior option. And we absolutely should continue to take manufactures to task over the idea that their product is God's gift to music and beyond all reproach. I fully support you holding Abyss to the fire on this one. You put the screws to Schiit with some of their older products, and lo and behold, they have produced a bunch of gear that is objectively better engineered than in the past (coincidentally or otherwise). I think that's admirable. Hell, I'm going to toss you a few bucks to keep doing so.

I am just not bothered if someone decides to live in an alternate reality and go for the other choice, as long as they freely admit they are doing so in the face of obvious evidence that they are being a bit...well, silly. I don't have the energy to harsh someone's buzz like that anymore, as long as they don't get all cult like and start to convince others that the sky is green and gravity is just giants that live in the center of the earth who pull us down to the ground with invisible strings tied around our ankles. Some are certainly guilty of that level of absurdity. But as @imagidominc said, you can realize the flaws of something and still value it, and I don't feel like there's any harm in that line of thinking....well, as long as you aren't trying to convince people that you are "right".

So keep on beating that drum, but point your cannons at the ones who think you are the audiophile equivalent of Satan and try to say you are somehow wrong. :p

Resolve

Reviewer
There is an implicit message from all the defenders of Abyss that what they make is beyond criticism. And that I am the lone voice in that. While I was the first one to measure the Diana V2, there are other measurements and reviews of such for its close sister, Diana Phi. Let's go over what was said about that: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/abyss-diana-phi-review

DMS_Diana_Phi_V2.jpg

There is actually very good correlation to my measurements up to 3 kHz or so:

index.php

We even have the same glitch around 400 to 500 Hz. He uses a target with lower bass boost but otherwise, he also shows droop in bass frequencies. Here is what he has to say on analysis of his frequency response measurement:

View attachment 107315

That is precisely what I found. Pulling the cups *away* from the artificial ear creates *more* bass, not less. So the whole argument about "needing better seal" is busted. I measured as much as 5 dB increase when I pulled the cups away!

View attachment 107316

Look at the 1 to 2 kHz on my graph. It exceeds our target just as well as he says. I put in a correction of -2 dB in my EQ for that.

View attachment 107317

You can see that I also have a peak around 3 kHz as well with deficiencies on either side. I put in two filters to compensate for these.

View attachment 107318

[...]
View attachment 107319

Measurements are not accurate in those regions and what he has is different than mine. But generally, I put in a shelf filter to cut out the highs as I was bothered by them:

index.php

Here is his EQ:

EQ.jpg

We see a bass boost and reduction in 1 to 2 kHz. He finishes with this:

View attachment 107320

You don't highly recommend EQ if the tonality was correct as is.

Conclusions
As you can see, there is so much commonality between Andrew's analysis and mine even though we used two different headphones (and slightly different measurement gear). Therefore the notion that everyone praises these headphones is just wrong. There is no question there are flaws in this headphone and as a minimum you need equalization to fix the tonality. Andrew didn't measure distortion but if he had, I am confident he would arrived at similar conclusions to mine.

The company needs to stay ahead of us by measuring the headphones themselves and making corrections prior to release. Or document what equalization owners need to use. Anything else is going to get them grief because objective analysis is going to bring out the flaws.

I just wanted to point out that the treble differences between the two are subjectively verifiable as well. So it's not just that these rigs are less accurate above 10khz, but the V2 and Phi do have a different tuning as well.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I watch this all as a audio/music lover, not so much into measures beyond doing them to keep up with the joneses.
I am noting the attacks and smearing done to Amir in private messages and videos.

say what it is, directly to the person (Amir) and he to others, and the community that is very important to the end user (you folks) and a buffer against the bullshit of Jude and Companies ...use this exact moment in time to up your game, say your sorry's (in private, who knows what perceived slights some might have done to others. Suck it up and move on) and up your game via some sorts of agreement to communicate in private when in doubt and stop cannibalizing each other.

That other measurement based names in the hobby are crapping on Amir says more about them than Amir.

Step 2

Step 3

Let's all agree that the next time our emotions infect the process we reach out to each other.

Everybody agrees

The hobby as a whole comes out of the drama better than it went in and thus...it all served a purpose.

The price of the headphones is the source of all the drama, people don't like admitting they paid an extortionate amount for a subpar product.

It's easy for them to blame someone else than to blame themselves, otherwise .... god forbid... it's actually their fault for buying the product in the first place.

this also applies to the companies themselves, they're humans too.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Step 2

Step 3

Everybody agrees

Agreed. It's disappointing that the various prominent people who have access to professional measurement gear and ostensibly care about good audio don't interact more collegially. That is to say, disagree without being disagreeable and talk to each other rather than past each other.

If they did, I'm sure we would all learn even more about this hobby, which ought to be a matter of fun and not division.

P.S. I'm not mentioning this to cast aspersions at any specific individuals, I'm simply lamenting the lack of positive engagement between the experts. Of course that disfunction isn't unique to our hobby and infects much of our society, but it sure would be cool if we could be better than that.

Kuma

There is an implicit message from all the defenders of Abyss that what they make is beyond criticism.

The price of the headphones is the source of all the drama, people don't like admitting they paid an extortionate amount for a subpar product.

Yep. I've seen this (and been guilty it) many times in my many years of various wallet-draining hobbies (or obsessions, as my wife and friends refer to them as). Watches, road bikes, chef's knives (Japanese gyutos are objectively the best ;) ), and more. Nobody wants to accept they've emptied their wallet and been taken for a ride.

Going by the measurements of the Diana, and the responses by Abyss and their loyal legion, they're mainly selling a brand-name and charging a premium for it. Think Rolex, BMW, Louis Vouitton. It's old-school, yet still very effective marketing: the badge and the prestige of that badge come first, and they're gonna charge a substantial premium to own it.

When the product is secondary to the badge, don't fall for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom