• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss Diana V2 2nd Review (Headphone)

D

Deleted member 27694

You can get even better SQ for less money than the SC35. IMO.
Absolutley. I picked the Bose because Amir reviewed them. But the K371 are even cheaper. And a lot of stuff is better and way cheaper that he didnt yet review e.g. ety er2. A price difference of ~2000%. Crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

markanini

Major Contributor
Thats a little different, since the Apple product+iOS is really different from a PC,; if u want to use those programs, you just dont have any other option, you have to buy it. While here, you dont get really get anything.
Depends on the software, a majority is cross platform.

D

Deleted member 27694

Depends on the software, a majority is cross platform.
Yep. But there are some software solutions and it is in general a total different story because it is often a corporate decision and there are besides software other factors at play like the ecosystem. But a consumer product like the reviewed hp vs a better product like the K371 what can justify a $3800 price difference?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't want to doubt the process, and it can be just coincidence, but two headphones measurments back to back from different brand with such a huge deviation in mesured impedance vs specified? I don't know, but it does seem unlikely. Measurment equipment can break like any electronic equipment. Maybe just for sanity check try the good old scope?
I measured it using my multimeter and it reads 50 ohm as well. So DC resistance is the same. Since planar magnetic drivers have only resistive impedance that is verification enough.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps off topic but from here on out the only headphones I'd consider buying are wireless anyway. I'd love to see the higher end offerings from Apple, Sony, Bose and Sennheiser tested.

D

Deleted member 27694

Perhaps off topic but from here on out the only headphones I'd consider buying are wireless anyway. I'd love to see the higher end offerings from Apple, Sony, Bose and Sennheiser tested.
Amir did test the 1000xm4 this is the highest end offering from Sony. Afaik. With a little eq (imho even the build in eq will do the trick) it sounds really good. Bose 35 was also reviewed. Newer 700 has worse SQ. I like the Momentum 3 best but YMMV.

Rthomas

Forum Donor
The emperor (of Headfi marketing at least) has no clothes. Wow, I never expected such poor objective performance.

They are good at marketing to the type of people who are inclined to buy $2000 cables/quantum fuses/ magic power conditioners etc

Don't compare Audeze to this mess. They have a target curve that I think is faulty but their drivers seem to be state of the art in terms of distortion and from @solderdude measurements going up their product line gets you vanishingly low distortion.

I sent my LCD4 to Austria to be measured by Oratory1990. He commented that they essentially had zero distortion. I can respect that.

THW

Forum Donor
literally my brain rn:

“ok, frequency response doesn’t look that bad, so let me see the other measure- OH MY GOD WHY IS THERE SO MUCH DISTORTION”

Zensō

Major Contributor
I submit that no more time is wasted testing products from a company that clearly have no idea of proper engineering.
I don’t disagree, but I do think it’s worthwhile to expose badly engineered products, even from the same brand.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If you feel like the solo recordings from Lang Lang, Yo Yo Ma and others could use a few more instruments, seems like the distortion on these would be the perfect improvement. ;)

Also, not sure why these were not tested on a high end tube amp that can smoothe and warm the sound and tighten the imaging. :p

Tachyon88

Assuming abyss wanted to fix the distortion and keep the build the same, how would you go about it ?

PeteL

Major Contributor
They are the only four brand you would consider? Just curious why?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another dumpster fire started by snake oil. One simply does not douse an oil fire with holy water.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Assuming abyss wanted to fix the distortion and keep the build the same, how would you go about it ?
They could do it with computer simulation of the driver and enclosure and find sources of resonances, and non-linearities. If they don't have the skills and tools in that department, they could build different prototypes, measure and find out what is causing them. I don't know if laser interferometer is used in headphone driver design or not. If it is, then that is another tool.

Hemi-Demon

So much inconsistency between the objective vs subjective reviews of this company.

Headfonics 9.4, Headfonia "best headphone category", Majorhifi "Platinum award

Headphones.com. W/DMS mod
DMS_Diana_Phi_V2.jpg

The midrange and treble look completely different

Top Bottom