• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss Diana V2 2nd Review (Headphone)

Fernando

Forum Donor
After this measurement everyone waiting for @amirm to measure normal price headphones, tell yourself k702, Arya, LCD2 and to defeat the mega-expensive that we will never have.

Hopefully!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, it's a pity that the most distortion is around the 3-5kHz region, which is where there is a broad dip in the frequency response.....so you'd want to EQ up that broad dip but it will worsen that already bad distortion in that area. You'd be wanting to boost that area by around 7dB judging by the frequency response, so that would be a lot of boost to put on a heavy area of distortion! Hmm, not good, and quite a nasty jagged frequency response in the treble generally. Gees.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I have run a lot of IMD tests and none tell any kind of useful story. Distortion mechanisms on transducers are quite complex to tease out this way. Simplest then wins in the form of THD where we can tell the problem area.
Neumann (and S&R) shows drastic differences in IMD not tracked by THD, though; these example speakers would be the KH120A and KH310A, I guess. But I doubt we need more knowledge than "more ways better"; some one-time comparisons like 2-way vs 3-way coaxials or sealed vs ported would have been nice, though.
index.php

Attachments

• neumann IMD.png
    neumann IMD.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 2,269
Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Another Abyssmal :facepalm:, I feel really sorry about the owner who lent it :(

edahl

The terrible product, anti-scientific approach and PR, along with the aggressive lack of integrity in every media channel continues to... almost impress me with how bad it's possible to be while still enjoying widespread recognition.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
It's certainly terrible value but I think scam is a step too far. They can point to legions of satisfied customers more than happy with their purchases. The fact the curtain has been pulled back shouldn't change that.
It's scam,make something that looks quirky and charge high dollar,audiofool will trip all over themselves.

F1308

Major Contributor
I think perhaps they might probably be aimed to better suit those submarine Sonar Crews when deeply down the abyss...
Payment goes on the Navy, but of course.

markanini

Major Contributor
At this point I think abyss has been trolling the audiophile community.

Multiple Thousand dollar cables which make zero audible difference. The most ugliest flagship headphone. And abhorring objective Performances.

And still managed to build a very attached online following. To the point of Stockholm syndrome.

One day someone will explain how they did it.
A large part of the audiophile community works like Homer Simpson in that episode where he becomes a food critic and gets dismissive of quality dishes but continues devouring junk food. I've watched a number of videos where a reviewer tip toes over the fact that he likes a headphone which in reality is a strong performer in its class, just to appease the community.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think perhaps they might probably be aimed to better suit those submarine Sonar Crews when deeply down the abyss...
Payment goes on the Navy, but of course.

Perhaps at a higher air pressure and a helium-oxygen atmosphere as used in the deepest prolonged dives these things sound OK.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's scam,make something that looks quirky and charge high dollar,audiofool will trip all over themselves.

Again, no. They make, advertise and sell vastly overpriced headphones. I'm pretty confident every customer got exactly what they paid for. I think you need to look up what a scam is vs what this is, which is a triumph of marketing over engineering.

If I was to try and sell a pair of $5 plastic supermarket earbuds for $1500 nobody would buy. Why do these sell? Why are forums not full of people baying for blood on receiving their massively overpriced, underperforming Abyss headphones?

PS, for the record, what this is in reality is exploitation. Not fraud.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Slightly naive question for the industry insiders on here: how do you responsibly price this at $4000? I find it hard to believe that a headphone costs more than $1000 in parts and labour?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Slightly naive question for the industry insiders on here: how do you responsibly can price this at $4000? I find it hard to believe that a headphone costs more than $1000 in parts and labour?
When were high end /luxury goods ever priced according to input costs? We all know the fake Gucci bag probably costs around the same to make compared to the real, in that it's a tiny proportion of the retail price.

edahl

Again, no. They make, advertise and sell vastly overpriced headphones. I'm pretty confident every customer got exactly what they paid for. I think you need to look up what a scam is vs what this is, which is a triumph of marketing over engineering.

If I was to try and sell a pair of $5 plastic supermarket earbuds for $1500 nobody would buy. Why do these sell? Why are forums not full of people baying for blood on receiving their massively overpriced, underperforming Abyss headphones?

PS, for the record, what this is in reality is exploitation. Not fraud.
I wouldn't be surprised if you could make a pretty strong case for fraud if you piece together their various claims to make a case for false advertising.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't be surprised if you could make a pretty strong case for fraud if you piece together their various claims to make a case for false advertising.
Then people should do that. I have no time for peddlers like this but I also don't like people lazily alleging fraud.

Top Bottom