• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Absolute simplest way to create a crossover using only a computer?

JRS

Major Contributor
I know the freq at which I want to xo along with the slope and approximate EQ required to get it to target. Right now what I have is a laptop and 4 channel amp. How do I make this work?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could use VoiceMeeter Banana/Potato...

use-case-voicemeeter-repeat-eq-crossover-amps.jpg

ppataki

Major Contributor
You need a multichannel DAC as well between your amp and your PC
Then you can use for example Jriver and its DSP engine to create the filters
Go to Parametric EQ and add the highpass filter and the lowpass filter at the specific freq. and the specific slope for the adequate channels
This will generate a min. phase 'classic' crossover
If you want linear phase or mixed phase crossover you will need additional VST plugins to do the job (DDMF Metaplugin to work with the channels and then any EQ plugin of your preference, eg. Acon, Izotope, CraveEQ, etc.)

Sokel

Master Contributor
How many channels output has your laptop?

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
How many channels output has your laptop?
I suspect just 2 channel I/O. It does have Atmos however--not sure if those can be accessed. I may just need to get an external sound card and hope it plays nice. That or a barebone mini DSP. BUt then I have to worry about getting the filter coefficients right. It's just a stop gap measure for 6 months or so, until I can do things right with an OCTO etc. I want to get a 6 channel Class D amp--likely not Purify tek. When I get to my destination I hope to get Be tweets and mids, maybe long throw 10's and a couple of 15's for SW's. So I should look at buying 2 four channel's and calling it good. So I appreciate all the suggestions, and need to think forward about what I will ultimately need. Spend 250. for the card and the VoiceMeter mentioned above. And in the meantime just look for a used 4 ch on Ebay. I've had very good luck there 20 years ago, but things change.

ppataki

Major Contributor
I suspect just 2 channel I/O. It does have Atmos however--not sure if those can be accessed. I may just need to get an external sound card and hope it plays nice. That or a barebone mini DSP. BUt then I have to worry about getting the filter coefficients right. It's just a stop gap measure for 6 months or so, until I can do things right with an OCTO etc. I want to get a 6 channel Class D amp--likely not Purify tek. When I get to my destination I hope to get Be tweets and mids, maybe long throw 10's and a couple of 15's for SW's. So I should look at buying 2 four channel's and calling it good. So I appreciate all the suggestions, and need to think forward about what I will ultimately need. Spend 250. for the card and the VoiceMeter mentioned above.
Regarding amps:

You can simply get 4 stereo amps too or 8 mono amps also; I would choose from this list:

Regarding the multichannel DAC:

Topping DM7, I think that is a no-brainer (I just replaced my Okto with that)
It is simply awesome!

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Another thought that occurs to me, I do have a very good Amp Classe 500W (true class A) monoblock, thats good for 1000 into 4 ohms and 2k into 2. Its a beast and can run the two in 15's parallel. Course not so good in the summer time, but where I live I have an old fashioned fireplace, and having that nearby with one on the Mac style VU meters might be a lot of fun in the dark.

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Seriously? Why?
I second that: I thought the Octo was SOTA or close enuf to not matter, but I love my Topping DX Pro+. (except the drivers which misbehave on occasion--at least during setup.)

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Just check the price of a used Okto vs a new DM7.... :D
Wow this is it--what we have always been begging for! 600 is a steal. Speaking of steals is everyone aware that Amazon is selling the Sundara's for 300. Trying to get a very old chum who made a ton of $$ in the chip biz, to open his fat wallet. That and the Dx3 pro+for 150. Unfortunately he has to beg his wife for permission to spend, but now I digress.

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Wow this is it--what we have always been begging for! 600 is a steal. Speaking of steals is everyone aware that Amazon is selling the Sundara's for 300. Trying to get a very old chum who made a ton of $$ in the chip biz, to open his fat wallet. That and the Dx3 pro+for 150. Unfortunately he has to beg his wife for permission to spend, but now I digress.
When I get to Belize I will do the Monoprice A/V 16 channel for 4000.

effj

As a follow-up, here is a quick tutorial to configure a 2-way crossover using VoiceMeeter Potato and two stereo output Windows devices.

1. Install VoiceMeeter Potato, reboot, and run the program.
2. Under Virtual Inputs, click/select the A1 and A2 output buttons next to the VoiceMeeter VAIO
virtual input’s feeder gain, so that the latter feeds its sound into the former. Deselect all other
output feeds.
3. Edit the A1 and A2 outputs in Master Section as follows:
a. Keeping Normal mode selected seems sufficient since you are using stereo (2-channel)
output devices.
b. Right click the EQ button to begin configuring the high- or low-pass filter.
c. Editing All channels at once seems sufficient since you are using stereo (2-channel)
output devices.
d. Turn off all frequency settings except one (e.g. the first one) since a high-/low-pass filter,
by definition, has a single cutoff frequency.
e. Click/select the downward-sloping graph (option 4?) if configuring a low-pass filter.
Alternatively, click/select the upward-sloping graph (option 5?) if configuring a high-pass
filter.
f. Click right button on the frequency dial for the setting that’s On, type in the desired
cutoff frequency, and hit Enter/Return key.
4. Assign the A1 and A2 outputs to their corresponding stereo hardware in the Hardware Out
section.
5. Go into the sound settings for your audio player (e.g. Qobuz, Foobar2000, or Windows sound
settings) and select the VoiceMeeter VAIO virtual input as the output device.

It doesn’t require any DSP or ADC hardware; only the output DAC(s); the PC itself serves as a DSP. If you have only a 3-, 4-, or greater-than-4-channel output device (in lieu of multiple 2-channel output devices), the settings in VoiceMeeter differ somewhat (e.g. selecting only A1 and selecting Stereo Repeat mode instead of Normal mode); that is outside the scope of this tutorial. If you don’t have enough output channels/devices, an additional DAC may be needed. For example, I wrote this tutorial using my Realtek line-out for the low-pass output and a USB DAC for the high-pass output.

Last edited:
Top Bottom