• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

About to get a Motu M4, worried about all the Windows performance issue stories…

artburda

To my knowledge, nobody has yet measured the microphone monitoring output but I intend to do it soon. A/B'ing the direct monitor with the recorded track, the former definitely has a significant high shelf. It doesn't occur when monitoring line level sources, however.

As always, take my subjective observations with a grain of salt in the absence of measurements but what I'm hearing is not a subtle difference. I expect that it will show up in the FR once measured.

I just did such a loopback measurement with REW. Log sweep from RCA output 3 into combo input 2 (with a RCA-TS cable). Monitoring function in stereo mode. Output from headphone out into input 3 (TRS-TRS cable). Et voilà! Had to do it this way or the duplicated mono output from the left and right headphone out channels would cancel each other out.

I can't see any high shelf.

M4 hardware combo input monitoring.png

Edit: Or did you already try this? And the two front combo inputs have different circuits for direct monitoring line and mic inputs?

Last edited:

artburda

I just performed a test with a Rode NT-1 plugged into combo input 1. I used ableton live to route the mic input to output 3. RCA-TS cable from output 3 to input 3. I activated stereo direct monitoring. Headphone out into input 4 via TRS-TRS cable. With Visual Analyser 2020 I level matched both inputs (3 & 4) within 0.5db by playing a 440 Hz tone from my iphone into the Rode NT-1. Then I changed the frequency on my iphone (szynalski.com) in a few steps from 440 to 20'000 and I watched the channel balance very closely with Visual Analyser's Volt Meter in db mode. Again, I couldn't see any high shelf. The channel balance stayed within 1db or less. Looks to me like the direct monitoring function works like it should.

1612388190258.png
1612388211332.png

1612388234999.png
1612388261634.png

1612388284335.png
1612388290930.png

Last edited:

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just did such a loopback measurement with REW. Log sweep from RCA output 3 into combo input 2 (with a RCA-TS cable). Monitoring function in stereo mode. Output from headphone out into input 3 (TRS-TRS cable). Et voilà! Had to do it this way or the duplicated mono output from the left and right headphone out channels would cancel each other out.

I can't see any high shelf.

View attachment 110384
Edit: Or did you already try this? And the two front combo inputs have different circuits for direct monitoring line and mic inputs?
Thanks for that! As it turns out, I was actually hearing the absence of a low frequency boost. It had completely slipped my mind that the interface which I had previously been using exhibited high output impedance and was fudging the FR of my monitoring headphones. Oops!

Please disregard my original post. :p

artburda

Thanks for that! As it turns out, I was actually hearing the absence of a low frequency boost. It had completely slipped my mind that the interface which I had previously been using exhibited high output impedance and was fudging the FR of my monitoring headphones. Oops!

Please disregard my original post. :p

Well, now we know for sure :)

Top Bottom