• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

About RCA cables (again...)

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Waiting for Crutchfield or Monoprice to have something in stock again, I have used basic cables for the longest time so i'm looking to upgrade. At the same time I'm not spending 50 bucks a pop for Audioquest :eek:

3125b

Major Contributor
As RCA Interconnect I use a Cordial CFU 0,3 CC. It works fine and doesn't cost too much.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I can find reviews by Amir of expensive speaker cable and digital interconnects, but not analogue RCA-to-RCA cables.

Have I missed this? Link? Comments?

Cheers.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

dr0ss

Amazon Basics all the way! If broken, they are easy to return.
I recently had an Amazon Basics HDMI cable fail (which surprised the hell out of me, I didn't think a passive cable like this could fail except at the connectors). Despite the "lifetime warranty" in the listing, they gave me a super hard time on the return, insisting that "lifetime" means "one year".

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always been happy with the quality (and price) of Monoprice cables...
Yeah! I used to think so too... until last month when I needed some quality 'jacketed' Stereo (TRS) 3.5mm to L/R RCAs Cables (M<>M).
I decided to go with monoprice' "Onix" branded cables (3 each @less than 2 meters). They supposed be 'better than' their premium-grade versions but @2x the cost >> I will never do business with that company again.
1) These stereo cables, at the RCA ends, lack any form of markings for Left/Right channel identification (w/o DMM =50/50 crapshoot)
2) Now I know what that "Monstah Turbine" curse is. One of those unidentified Onix RCAs (on the 3rd insert) bit so hard, that bulkhead female RCA started ripping-out the ground ferrule tangs from the PCB. *&^%
3) Onix has these powder-coated black 'collets' at the cable side of the RCA connector bodies >> They serve zero purpose and they fall-off/slide-around on the cables.
Some zit-faced grad musta designed these pos-Onix in front of a computer... well bcuz he was told to...
At least, monoprice paid for the return (and a full refund) but that RCA/3.5mm is still stuck on the rear of my new Yamaha WXC-50, until I get out the soldering iron.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When it comes to RCA, I'm all about shielding. Gotham Gac Ultra Pro is extremely well shielded.

atsmusic

I really like blue jean cables myself. Much more expensive than you need to spend though. Just simply a great no no nonsense very well made cable. They also treat their employees very well. I like to support them and I like their cables very much.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah! I used to think so too... until last month when I needed some quality 'jacketed' Stereo (TRS) 3.5mm to L/R RCAs Cables (M<>M).
I decided to go with monoprice' "Onix" branded cables (3 each @less than 2 meters). They supposed be 'better than' their premium-grade versions but @2x the cost >> I will never do business with that company again.
1) These stereo cables, at the RCA ends, lack any form of markings for Left/Right channel identification (w/o DMM =50/50 crapshoot)
2) Now I know what that "Monstah Turbine" curse is. One of those unidentified Onix RCAs (on the 3rd insert) bit so hard, that bulkhead female RCA started ripping-out the ground ferrule tangs from the PCB. *&^%
3) Onix has these powder-coated black 'collets' at the cable side of the RCA connector bodies >> They serve zero purpose and they fall-off/slide-around on the cables.
Some zit-faced grad musta designed these pos-Onix in front of a computer... well bcuz he was told to...
At least, monoprice paid for the return (and a full refund) but that RCA/3.5mm is still stuck on the rear of my new Yamaha WXC-50, until I get out the soldering iron.
Last month I ordered a couple cables from Monoprice for the first time on the basis of recommendations on this forum. Shipping date was said to be 8.20.21. Last week I called since no shipping notice had yet been received. They told me they're running behind and no shipment date could be determined, they just left it completely open-ended. Despite having already charged my credit card for the order...

As of today the products still have not shipped. Next week I'll be calling to cancel the order, demand a refund, and will never do business with Monoprice.

Buyer beware. There could be many reasons for a delay but giving me the run around increased the coefficient I assigned to the possibility their business is circling the drain.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have this one for few months, what do you think about it, is it good? http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a01.html I've also the jack to rca one (http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/b01.html)

I'm sure it's fine, and the only reasons to swap them out would be if you have noise issues that could be solved with a cable, or if you need a different length. That said,but this looks like their best RCA cable:
http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e08.html

Canare's RG59-equivalent cable, and from appearances Canare's crimp-on RCA ends. When I use RCA cables, that's how I make 'em. A nice thing about crimped ends if the shield stays around the whole thing, instead of being collected at a solder point. Admittedly, when someone else is making them for me I would spec Neutrik ProFi connectors because I like the way the shield works.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if I would be flogged here at ASR for using RCA audio interconnects with integral ferrites.
This model (from AliExpress) cost about USD$14 for a meter run and uses OFC copper w/TDK beads.
202109_ChinaRCAs.jpg

I have never heard the difference between reversing RCA cables with arrows but wutevr!
I also use clamp-on ferrites when I construct my own speaker cables.
I haven't a clue if they've ever helped but then again I also have medical insurance too. :rolleyes:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also use clamp-on ferrites when I construct my own speaker cables.
It's common to find inductors @ regulated B+/B- lines for keeping digital noise out of the supply. Not so sure that speaker lines and interconnects need ferrites. Why ferrites?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll give you an example and you can search for it (pros/cons) online.
Had a buddy that lived in Crestline, CA, w/a next door ham-radio dude and each time the transmitter was keyed, his speakers would sing like canaries.
In his case, it was some kinda 'rectification'. I suggested he shorten the speaker cables and throw a couple ferrite-bead sizes along the cables. He actually thought I knew what I was talking about but, at least, it did not result in an otherwise fistfight between mountain neighbors.

John Galt

Forum Donor
I don't think that cables can do miracles so I wonder what's the reasonable quality price for them. For example on amazon.it there are cables like these basic ones KabelDirect or others like these SKW RCA so which ones are worth to get? Or I should look for something even more expensive?

I've used KabelDirect for some cables and have been satisfied. For my LCR RCAs I went with Mogami because they have a very good reputation and aren't super expensive. MOGAMI® - Gold RCA-RCA (3, 6, 12 or 20 ft) (mogamicable.com) For my subs I used SVS SoundPath RCAs.

If you secretly replaced all of the cables with ones from Walmart I don't know that I'd know the difference, but I despise cheaply constructed cables and the gremlins they can introduce.

Last edited:
Top Bottom