• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

About Grado labs headphones

ER4S

I've been active on Reddit for 3 years i don't understand they blind hate about this brand?. You can't even like a SR255e, RS1e, GS2000e with being flamed and how you should've gotten a Senn, any TOTL and more while being flamed. Not to mention them being 2 to 3.8% THD+N irks me when there no hard proof its audible when most good loudspeakers rate much worse.

I'm more on the objective side but this is a case i think people think their opinions are fact. Can't handle someone not liking a HD650 and measurements aren't everything in the headphone context.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can't even like a SR255e

I can't like it either, even if I wanted to because the SR255e does not exist (should be SR225e) ;).

People like what they like and some won't like what someone else likes.
You can't argue about taste.

One can discuss technical issues.
Perhaps about bass roll-of, elevated treble, distortion levels/frequencies, upper midrange peaks.
These all result in a typical sonic signature which has a certain appeal to Grado fans and dislike to others.
Technically speaking these aren't the greatest headphones.
Some models do sound nice though.
So do other brands ... I would not get in a knot over the taste of others or if something doesn't measure that well when it sounds 'good' to me.

Last edited:

SMc

My Grado listening got a lot more pleasant after seeing a reviewer's suggestion to tame the treble which helps but restricts me to devices with eq or tone controls.

I've accumulated three models (80, 225, eGrado) that appear to be implementations of the same drivers. The mid-bass roar can be fun for rock and electronic but there's an undeniable and polarizing departure from neutral.

Top Bottom