• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AB vintage amp ?

Cocoloco

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Those older HKs were definitely AB topology. Many of them were high current amps, so 4 ohm loads could be driven with ease. Their slew rates were very impressive and they had very low IMD too.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
HKs of that vintage were under-rated. Their 30W models would often hit into the mid 40s at 8 ohms in independent testing. I've read tests of 50W models touching 80.

maty

Major Contributor
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/harmon-kardon-hk395i.446247/

Harmon Kardon HK-495i, picture optimized

Harmon-Kardon-HK-495-inside.jpg

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
We are in the heat wave of a few European countries, what differentiates us is that in Spain we are more accustomed and prepared, especially on the Mediterranean coast: air conditioning in many houses. By the way, these devices add DC to the grid. In August it would be more unpleasant, coinciding heat and humidity. The one from now comes from the Sahara and it is a very dry air.

The most noise present in the grid has been added by the multitude of cheap SMPS that flood houses and many commercial refrigerators and others electrical machines that have been imported from Asia and that fail to comply with strict European regulations, with the authorities looking the other way.

The ideal is to have the substation close to home.

For antiquity, the US electrical grid, unfit for a modern country.

In Tarragona we have other problem: two large concentrations of petrochemical companies, probably the largest of the entire Mediterranean. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarragona

And a very large amusement park. And two nuclear reactors in operation (another two closed by seniority) less than 100 Km. Therefore, the voltage in the area is usually greater than 230 Vac. In my house, when it exceeds 238 Vac, the sound gets much worse. When it is close to 230 Vac my second audio system sounds amazingly good!

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
By and large I do not think mains power is the problem it is often claimed to be, and certainly not in my country and with a decent amplifier.
I think these high qhaulity vintage amplifiers demonstrate that amplifier sound quality is a problem that was solved ages ago. My current amp is a refurbished Quad 606-2 and the sound is excellent. Amplifiers of that age do need a refurbishment, of the caps at the very least.The good news here is that modern ones are physically smaller so you can fit ones with higher values in the same physical space, for a bit more dynamic power.

OP
Cocoloco

Cocoloco

@maty, here I only have access to Digikey to buy my parts. And it's only a Harman Kardon so Elna or Nichicon will do. OK, I will recap then.

maty

Major Contributor
When I wanted to change the EPCOS of the prototype with other better and bigger EPCOS that I used in other DC blockers that I have, there was no stock. Wait for 9 months!

I decided to take the opportunity to verify for myself if the very expensive Mundorf MLGO were as good as many say. Of course, being so fat they took about 200 hours for the burn! During the process the sound sometimes improved and another worsened until it stabilized. I did it with my main audio system, kidnapped by the TV so the sound quality during the process was less critical. And yes, they are excellent.

Willem

Major Contributor
Yes as long as you do not overdo it. The benefit is more power in reserve for dynamic peaks.

maty

Major Contributor
More than greater capacitance, the data of the two columns of the Mundorf is more interesting: Ripple and ESR.

A little more capacitance. And higher voltage, 63 V. With much better ripple and a slightly lower ESR (to be sure that there will be no problems).

6800 uF 50 V 85ºC -> 8200 uF 63V 85ºC

Last edited:
Top Bottom