• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A90 vs Burson Soloist 3X

WoollyGeezer

Hey ASR,

Im in the market to replace my thx 889 for my Arya, and eventually the Susvara or Utopia.
Is there a solid sound difference between the a90/soloist 3X that justifies the 2x cost increase?

virtua

I wouldn't think so, do you get enough volume with the 887? Because the a90 would give you a bit more volume. You'd also get a preamp output which you might find useful to feed into a speaker amplifier (if running passives) too. Outside of that I can't imagine there would be much of a difference.

OP
W

WoollyGeezer

I wouldn't think so, do you get enough volume with the 887? Because the a90 would give you a bit more volume. You'd also get a preamp output which you might find useful to feed into a speaker amplifier (if running passives) too. Outside of that I can't imagine there would be much of a difference.
It starts to clip at higher volume ;(

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Burson Soloist 3X outputs a claimed 8000mW in XLR and 4000mW single-ended. I googled extensively and I read the operators manual and found no details as per the load those wattage specs are claimed at.

godmax

The Burson Soloist 3X outputs a claimed 8000mW in XLR and 4000mW single-ended. I googled extensively and I read the operators manual and found no details as per the load those wattage specs are claimed at.
Written under Specs on the Burson homepage:
6BB92093-225A-4928-901B-DC3D8C7404CD.jpeg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Burson is a class a amplifier
Class A can be done well and it can be done badly. Don't let the denomination of class A make a decision for you. The Burson has amazing power output specs but the Schitt has better high impedance specs. If you are interested in either then look at the impedance of your headphones and future headphones and that will indicate if you need low impedance drive or high impedance drive for the your headphones. The peeps here would loose their minds if you bought the Burson and sent it in here to ASR for review. :D

OP
W

WoollyGeezer

I received the Burson Soloist 3X this week.

Compared to my THX 889 it sounds warmer and a bit more colored somewhat tubey. (I am assuming that is due to the vivid op amp). WAYYY more dynamic. Bass and mids sound much more controlled, alive, and cleaner.

However, I actually prefer the thx for gaming, movies and podcasts (sounds much more true to the source).

For music? Burson, HANDS DOWN. Everything sounds beautiful but it doesn't give me that HOLY SCHIIT that sounds REAL.

Arnas

Compared to my THX 889 it sounds warmer and a bit more colored somewhat tubey. (I am assuming that is due to the vivid op amp). WAYYY more dynamic. Bass and mids sound much more controlled, alive, and cleaner.

However, I actually prefer the thx for gaming, movies and podcasts (sounds much more true to the source).

For music? Burson, HANDS DOWN. Everything sounds beautiful but it doesn't give me that HOLY SCHIIT that sounds REAL.
Bass and mids sound much more controlled, alive, and cleaner.
Doesnt this makes it better for movies and games?

Funnyjelo

I agree with this. You can get even tubier with their classic Op Amps. However I prefer the vivids still.

Top Bottom