• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A30Pro + E30 II or L70 + E50

OP
R

RasTTaII

I found the smsl do100 balanced DAC at 190€, so I decided to go for it.

The a30pro is 250-280€, I think is a good price, but I'm gonna wait a bit to think if a30pro or l70

Last edited:
OP
R

RasTTaII

I noticed that the balanced AMPs usually have less power on the unbalanced outputs. In case of having headphones with unbalanced cables, if I use an adapter from unbalanced to balanced (for example 6.35 to 4.4) can I get the power from the balanced outputs to drive the headphone with unbalanced cable?

Veri

Master Contributor
I noticed that the balanced AMPs usually have less power on the unbalanced outputs. In case of having headphones with unbalanced cables, if I use an adapter from unbalanced to balanced (for example 6.35 to 4.4) can I get the power from the balanced outputs to drive the headphone with unbalanced cable?
Nope you can't tap into the balanced output that way. Simple explanation, BAL has R+ R- L+ L- while single ended connection has only half the pin-out. So those adapters are a scam, at best you get half the balanced voltage (effectively identical to connecting to SE out) and at worst you can damage the amp.

OP
R

RasTTaII

Nope you can't tap into the balanced output that way. Simple explanation, BAL has R+ R- L+ L- while single ended connection has only half the pin-out. So those adapters are a scam, at best you get half the balanced voltage (effectively identical to connecting to SE out) and at worst you can damage the amp.
So, the only way is to change the cable to a balanced one?

Veri

Master Contributor
So, the only way is to change the cable to a balanced one?
Short answer, yes! A balanced cable solves this.
Longer answer there are specialized transformers that can carry over the voltage into SE but it would require an additional circuit which will cost money, require a bunch of cables and which will not look very sexy on a desk :D more for professional use..

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
Newbie question: If you are using a balanced output on a headphone amp, is it the cable that needs to be balanced, or is something in the headphones, too?

In my case, I have the Sennheiser 58x headphones. If I were to use them with the Topping L70 in balanced mode, is it just as simple as buying a balanced cable?

And also, if I did not have the balanced cable, does the amp automatically switch itself to single-ended mode? So no problems that way, either?

(Is it just the topology in the amp that enables balanced output if the path is available, and if not, it just defaults to single-ended mode?)

JIW

Newbie question: If you are using a balanced output on a headphone amp, is it the cable that needs to be balanced, or is something in the headphones, too?

In my case, I have the Sennheiser 58x headphones. If I were to use them with the Topping L70 in balanced mode, is it just as simple as buying a balanced cable?

And also, if I did not have the balanced cable, does the amp automatically switch itself to single-ended mode? So no problems that way, either?

(Is it just the topology in the amp that enables balanced output if the path is available, and if not, it just defaults to single-ended mode?)

You need a balanced cable but you also need a headphone where the negative terminal of each driver can be connected individually to the cable. For example, if your headphone is connected through a single three pin connector such as TRS or mini XLR3, it cannot be used balanced by changing the cable. If instead each driver is connected individually to the cable such as in the case of the 58X, using a balanced cable is enough.

If you do not have a balanced cable, you should not use the balanced output but use the single ended output, i.e. TRS 6.35 mm. Balanced tends to refer to symmetrical drive, i.e. the amplifier sends the same signal to the headphone driver on both connectors but on the negative connector it is inverted. The driver responds to the difference which is twice the voltage at the positive connector. Single ended the amplifier only sends the signal over the positive terminal while the negative terminal is connected to ground. Again, the driver responds to the difference but it is only the voltage at the positive connector. However, some amplifiers have balanced connectors but operate only single ended.

The L70 uses differential drive so its maximum power using the balanced connector is 4 times higher than using the single ended if enough current is available.

For the 58X, the L70 has enough power in single ended use to reach a peak SPL of 128 dB which is extremely loud. For power alone, using balanced makes little sense in this case.

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
You need a balanced cable but you also need a headphone where the negative terminal of each driver can be connected individually to the cable. For example, if your headphone is connected through a single three pin connector such as TRS or mini XLR3, it cannot be used balanced by changing the cable. If instead each driver is connected individually to the cable such as in the case of the 58X, using a balanced cable is enough.

If you do not have a balanced cable, you should not use the balanced output but use the single ended output, i.e. TRS 6.35 mm. Balanced tends to refer to symmetrical drive, i.e. the amplifier sends the same signal to the headphone driver on both connectors but on the negative connector it is inverted. The driver responds to the difference which is twice the voltage at the positive connector. Single ended the amplifier only sends the signal over the positive terminal while the negative terminal is connected to ground. Again, the driver responds to the difference but it is only the voltage at the positive connector. However, some amplifiers have balanced connectors but operate only single ended.

The L70 uses differential drive so its maximum power using the balanced connector is 4 times higher than using the single ended if enough current is available.

For the 58X, the L70 has enough power in single ended use to reach a peak SPL of 128 dB which is extremely loud. For power alone, using balanced makes little sense in this case.

Thank you for this explanation. I somehow missed that on the L70, the XLR connection is balanced, while the 6.35mm and 3.5mm connections are single-ended.

It seems like the 58X is capable of being used in either balanced or single-ended mode. To use in balanced more, I would need a balanced cable that has an XLR connector

I do not listen at very loud levels, so single-ended will be plenty for my needs. This is what I will do, but I wanted to understand how the balanced mode, works, as well.

I've been on the fence between the A30 and the L70 to pair with my E70. I like the idea of all the single-ended power in the A30, but I think the additional features of the L70 - preamp, remote, 12v trigger - are tipping me toward the L70. I do not listen at loud levels on headphones, anyway.

JIW

Thank you for this explanation. I somehow missed that on the L70, the XLR connection is balanced, while the 6.35mm and 3.5mm connections are single-ended.

It seems like the 58X is capable of being used in either balanced or single-ended mode. To use in balanced more, I would need a balanced cable that has an XLR connector

I do not listen at very loud levels, so single-ended will be plenty for my needs. This is what I will do, but I wanted to understand how the balanced mode, works, as well.

I've been on the fence between the A30 and the L70 to pair with my E70. I like the idea of all the single-ended power in the A30, but I think the additional features of the L70 - preamp, remote, 12v trigger - are tipping me toward the L70. I do not listen at loud levels on headphones, anyway.

Yes, XLR4 or pentaconn 4.4 mm are used for balanced connection. With headphones as sensitive as the 58X at 110 dB at 1 V, there is really no need for anything more than single ended. You probably will not even need high gain.

When you connect the E70 to either the A30 or L70, consider using the balanced connection between either two using XLR male to XLR female for L70 or XLR female to TRS 6.35 mm male cables for A30 to reduce noise. That is money better spent than on a balanced cable for the headphone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom