• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Young Adele?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Actually that was my very first thought; a musical Japanese keyboard.
But that thought only lasted two seconds...between one and three.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Searches are strange. I bet we all took different routes to find out.

Amir was smart and apparently looked for those asking about that image in the video.

I started by searching for flat stringed instruments electric (on a hunch it was at least amplified). That sent me a few places and eventually to a long list of images. Scrolling down I eventually saw the picture of it which linked to the article about the guy who invented it.

So how did you do it Northsky? Different in yet another way?

1. I first looked @ dulcimer, electric dulcimer. But I got nowhere.
2. Then I typed this: Addison Agen, The Voice - What is the string instrument at the beginning of the video? ...I didn't even type "A Case of You"
3. I got this: http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question145080.html

When googling I found that asking the question as close as possible leads eventually to the right answer. Sometimes you have to change a word or two, or add one or two, or remove one or two.
I agree; it is fun strange searching, learning, discovering.

I only saw Amir's question this afternoon, before you guys posted, and all together I searched for approximately 15 minutes to get the answer, in the same lapse of time as you and Amir. That is quite something to have three brains looking for the same thing @ the same time. Soon after that I posted, and that I saw your two posts, I knew that we were the three of us on the same quest in the same time space.
Like if the stars were aligned that way, telepathic power of the mind/spirit. That is my perception of it, we are searchers. And it just happened that we were coincidentally in the same time capture from the same space capsule.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bonus (only because in my search I looked @ this musical instrument):

I have a friend who makes those from scratch. Just for kicks look at some of the various flat top Korean and Japanese stringed instruments. Some really neat things there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Bonus (only because in my search I looked @ this musical instrument):

Thanks for posting that. What a nice instrument and talented composer/player. Here is one of his dedicated videos:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here's one closer to what I saw in the NEC Documentation Department at that time:

index.php

Kanji teletype input keyboard

https://www.ninjal.ac.jp/info/aboutus/photo/4/chapter_04.html
I got my start at Sony when all of this was being replaced by current Japanese keyboard where users spell out the words in Katakana/Hiragana and a built-in dictionary disambiguates different words with the same pronunciation. Without this the Japanese would have been held back big time in computer revolution.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I asked how they (Japanese) look up a word they didn't know (Kanji characters).

The first answer was "phonetically".

But... It's a new symbol to you, and you don't know how it sounds. Then what? How do you find it?

That had them stumped for a while, since they already know all they need to know for the daily grind.

Ours (Roman) is alphabetically arranged. Theirs, I assumed (correctly), was not.

Finally, someone pulled out a dusty old dictionary, and remembered the order of presentation:

Number of strokes it takes to write the main symbol (one to twenty nine), then the stroke count of the radical by which it is modified.

He said it was a real pain to find anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kanji_by_stroke_count

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kanji_radicals_by_stroke_count

Top Bottom