• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not gear really, but smartphone mic accuracy. Play a sweep on a speaker and plot. Perhaps singular tones, etc.

Curious how accurate when used with an FFT app. I'm sure our host could come up with other tests.

Yameyo

Can't afford to buy or send these at present (probably ever), but I'd be interested to see the measurements for the Mycetias Vulcanians and Wharfedale Lintons.

Budgeter

Fiio K3 (2021 revision)

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
What about, what I've read is, the biggest selling speaker of all time? Dynaco A25. I have a pair but shipping from Canada is not practical unfortunately.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Yeah would send em if I still had em
I have three TC 60's and have thought about sending one but then I think why, what am I or anyone else really going to gain? It'd be interesting to see how they measure but I'd rather sink the money into my current upgrades.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I have three TC 60's and have thought about sending one but then I think why, what am I or anyone else really going to gain? It'd be interesting to see how they measure but I'd rather sink the money into my current upgrades.

'88 TC50 measured

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has @Amiram done a speaker splitter/switcher/selector with volume control?
Besides the popular use cases, these products are good for subjectively reviewing/comparing speakers; if you don’t use the same tracks every time nor have a “reference” speaker to compare to, your subjective opinions hold little weight; and it needs to have volume controls for each output in order to level match them so sensitivity is not a factor when comparing tonal qualities.

Not sure of the products out there but looking for ones that have 5-way binding posts (many are the phoenix connector type) as well as being rated for 4-ohm loads (many state 8ohm minimum) I found this one for <$150 on Amazon:
81nc0-828TL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Also, if Amir or whoever wants to do a multi-speaker comparison trying to emulate Harman’s testing, for ~$200 there is a 5ch one:
71ul2bsUmCL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Last edited:

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Pro audio brand Røde just released a tiny versatile USB audio interface called the AI-Micro. Dual analog/mic inputs, headphone output, and digitally connects to Mac, Windows, iOS and Android devices. If this thing measured well, even as a DAC, it would be amazing.

Product Specifications​

Acoustic / Electrical
Frequency Response20Hz to 20kHz
Headphone Output
Power
125mW into 32Ω
Input Dynamic Range100dB A-Weighted
Gain Range0-24dB.v analog gain
Analog Inputs2 x 3.5mm auto-sensing
TRS/TRRS
Analog Outputs3.5mm TRS headphone
output
Computer ConnectivityUSB Type-C
OS RequirementsmacOS Big Sur
Windows 10 (Build 19041)
iOS 14
Android 9.0
Simultaneous I/O2/2
Number of Preamps2
Bit Depth24-bit
Sample Rate44.1/48kHz
Power RequirementsBus-powered
Mechanical
WeightAI-Micro: 13 g
SC21: 6 g
SC22: 4 g
SC23: 6 g
DimensionsAI-Micro
Width: 40 mm
Length 11.1 mm
Height: 38.2 mm

SC21, SC22, SC23
Length: 300 mm

Reactions: 617

tknx

For $90 maybe. But I think between the Apple dongle, the E1DA, and other value players I am not sure how this will compare. Would be interesting to see.

mightycicadalord

Would love to see the avantone guass 7. looks like their own woofer and what i think is a now disconnected dayton amt or similar design.

Streaky mastering YouTube channel did a subjective review and I thought it was curious he mentioned he turned the hf level up. can't recall the last time I heard a speaker that needed that, its usually down. Might be on the softer side of tonality and that has me interested.

Top Bottom