• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

EB1000

The NAD C658 bluos DAC Preamp, has received so many positive reviews, and I'd love to see how it really performs. I own it, and after the Node 2i review, I'm starting to think that the C658 is going to suck big time, as I can barely notice any audible difference when I compare it to my Denon X4400H AVR...

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/nad-c-658

https://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/...iews/107-nad-classic-c658-bluos-streaming-dac

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kIg1vO7A6Gc/p_745C658/NAD-C-658.html

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/nad-c-658-dac

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3038854-official-nad-c658-thread.html

Thanks

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Mentioned before? Dayton 652 AIR with AMT tweeter, 6.5" woofer - for $22..

KR500

Topping Mk. 20 tripath baby amp.

Like many others I bought a Sonic Impact t-amp when they appeared and then a Lepai, gave those to the kids and bought a Dayton 120 DTA which I thought would be the same , but with better parts.
First one was DOA, second one I kept but it needed RCA resoldering repair .
Noisy pot with noticeable channel imbalance too.

Anyway , the Topping is the best one by far in every way and still working.
I have the box it came in and when I can find it would like to send it to Amir for measuring to see if my ears are somewhat correct

Gus141

LUMIN streamers:
Compare DACs across their price scale from high-mid-low: X1, T2, D2.
Then compare just the network streaming transport (digital out) and include their streamer-only units (no DAC): U1 vs U1 Mini.

;-)

I’m really curious about measured differences between AES/EBU and USB on their U1 and U1 Mini.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
EVO4_2_Standard_Walnut__3_600x600.jpg

The Wharfedale Evolution 4.2, passive three-way system with an AMT tweeter and a dome midrange (the only manufacturer I know of to employ such a design along with ATC and Coin Audio (which seemingly has gone out of business)), <1000 USD/pair

Is that based on the Philharmonic design?

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Mentioned before? Dayton 652 AIR with AMT tweeter, 6.5" woofer - for $22..
I have a pair here, bone stock, if anyone's really, seriously interested in these gettin' measured.
I don't think they sound very good, even given the very low sale price I paid for 'em. The AMT tweeter was pretty palatable to my sexagenarian ears, though)

DSC_0604 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0610 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm morbidly curious as to how a pair of mini Maggies would do, and have a spare pair boxed up. How would their dipole nature mess with the measurement rig?
It shouldn't mess with it but won't know until we try it. :) How big is it (width/height)?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a pair here, bone stock, if anyone's really, seriously interested in these gettin' measured.
It wouldn't be worth the shipping cost back and forth unless you are offering to donate them to the forum. :) Then yes, I am interested in measuring them.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I am mainly interested in high quality but not outrageously expensive stand mount speakers such as the Kef R3, Revel Performa3 M106 etc.

folzag

Anyone planning a road-trip from Vermont to Washington?

(The guy's sons do the video editing and love to troll on him with the title screen.)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It wouldn't be worth the shipping cost back and forth unless you are offering to donate them to the forum. :) Then yes, I am interested in measuring them.
Not sure the forum would want 'em -- but I shall take that under advisement!

OdysseusG

It shouldn't mess with it but won't know until we try it. :) How big is it (width/height)?

The Mini Maggie satellites are officially listed at 14"x9.5"x1.25", which doesn't take the foot plate into account. The bass panel come in at 19.25"x22.5"x1.5", same caveat. The bass panel has some kind of crossover/hpf, but I have dabbled with running straight into the satellites and they didn't blow up, for what it's worth.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
TAD-CE1 speaker. I once found this speaker to sound absolutely amazing at a HIF-show. It would be interesting to see if that is corresponding to stellar objective measurements, or if I was just in a good mood :)
This is a "compact" speaker.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vandersteen model 1B speakers must be a pair around the corner or nearby Amirm. Any forum member that have one to measure?.
c4Giyrz.jpg

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Subwoofers....
I am especially interested in servo subwoofers like Velodyne and Rythmik versus more conventional designs.

Also small cheap ones ”good enough”. I am looking for extra balancing subs, possibly one up in the ceiling level, just to smooth room resonances a bit, like Earl Geddes approach.

Top Bottom