• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Using what test disc?

The Hi Fi News test disk seems to be the usual one, but I also have an Acoustic Sounds disk and a Clear Audio set up disk.

Also, for some tests (e.g. speed, wow & flutter) some people have been using gyroscope smartphone apps.

Newk Yuler

I suggest evaluating the Emotiva BASX A-100 power amp. It's been around for a while and it's been updated to use as a single ended headphone amp at full power which is something like 15 watts at 32 Ohm. It deserves a profile to prove its relative value as a strong headphone amp for pretty cheap. Many of Emotiva's straight amps (without digital issues) could use profiling at ASR as pretty common reasonably priced audiophile (or quasi-audiophile) equipment. I expect you know Emotiva's value reputation.

https://emotiva.com/products/a-100

Since there has been recent focus on class D amps I suggest you include ICEpower based amps such as those offered by Wyred 4 Sound and Nord. It's fair to hold them against the Hypex based amps.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Veri

Master Contributor
Sabaj just announced their ES9038PRO based DAC, the D5. Should be a decent performer considering how the Da3 performed in its measurements.

On their facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/sabaj.official/photos/a.478661239260863/639499376510381/?type=3&theater

On its Aliexpress listing:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sab...c3-40d7-a7ec-4aaad75de0ad&transAbTest=ae803_5
Cool! Looks quite simple internally though, almost more so than SMSL SU-8. But hey, maybe simple works too?

sharpty

Any interest in measuring a $30 Sabre ES9023 DAC from HiFiMeDIY? I've had a couple of their cheapo DACs but I have never found any measurements of them online. I saw your review of the UDA38Pro, and it makes me wary of all their products. Totally understand if it ain't worth the time. If you are interested, I would be willing to send you mine to test.

https://hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any interest in measuring a $30 Sabre ES9023 DAC from HiFiMeDIY? I've had a couple of their cheapo DACs but I have never found any measurements of them online. I saw your review of the UDA38Pro, and it makes me wary of all their products. Totally understand if it ain't worth the time. If you are interested, I would be willing to send you mine to test.

https://hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23
THanks for the offer. It is not worth the shipping cost to send it back and forth. I do have a dongle that looks like that. I will find it and see who made it.

sharpty

THanks for the offer. It is not worth the shipping cost to send it back and forth. I do have a dongle that looks like that. I will find it and see who made it.

Understandable. For what it cost, I would be willing to send it on a one way trip. If it turns out it's a piece of schiit, I wouldn't want it back anyway. ;)
If it is that great, then I don't mind shelling out for another one. No worries either way.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Understandable. For what it cost, I would be willing to send it on a one way trip. If it turns out it's a piece of schiit, I wouldn't want it back anyway. ;)
If it is that great, then I don't mind shelling out for another one. No worries either way.
That would work. :) Start a conversation with me and we can organize it.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Those ARE some specifications on the DAC8 Stereo. .... o_O

Veri

Master Contributor
Those ARE some specifications on the DAC8 Stereo. .... o_O
meas_thd.png

Specifications
Analog performance
0.000032% / -130dB full-scale THD (Total Harmonic Distortion)
0.0001% / -120dB full-scale THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise)
132dBA dynamic range
0.00022% / -113dB THD+N @ 100mW into 32 Ohms headphone output

Inputs
USB, AES/EBU, SPDIF, Optical

Outputs
8x XLR balanced, 3.4V RMS differential (or per request)
Headphones (routed from channel 1 and 2)

Additional features
Choice between 7 Sabre's internal FIR filters
Trigger output (pulse / continuous)
Configurable auto on / auto off
Full control with either pushable knob or remote
Remote control learning
32-bit Sabre's internal volume
2x 2.42" OLED displays

Dimensions
450 mm x 240 mm x 55 mm
Weight: 4.5kg (10 lbs)

Power
120VAC / 60Hz (American version) or 230VAC / 50Hz (European version)
Power rating: 15W

Warranty
2 years

Price
€1 089 excl shipping

Top Bottom