• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This might be tough to pull off but could add valuable context in the search for a budget speaker amp ....

I think it would be really interesting to measure an amp from an active speaker - probably from a budget or midrange speaker given the test itself would entail deconstructing the speaker. This could potentially inform the search for a budget amp, as you would see the amp measurements that a speaker designer deemed good enough to drive their speaker to its potential.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
NAD 208 THX power amplifier. There is a cult of people in Sweden worshipping this old amp. Would be quite funny if it measures bad.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Veri

Master Contributor
  • THD + N = 0.00001% at -141 dB S/N ratio
AfC79o9.png

rando

Don't pretend to have immersive knowledge of all that has been suggested or discussed on the site. Sorry if this was already brought forwards.

The EVGA Nu Audio soundcard might be cheap enough to buy yourself. Or reasonably interesting if you wished to add another sound card to your tested devices. Designed in part with Audio Note in the UK it really is an odd duck. Supposedly it can drive a reasonably power hungry headphone.

mickeyd123

Forum Donor
Has the little dot mkIII been reviewed here? If not I have one I can send.

Also question- can someone recommend a tube amp or tube amp/dac combo that actually gives the "tube" sound that is sought after? I need one for my office audio setup. Already have the little dot mk3 at home, but want to try something else for office. Open to ideas up to $1k. Anyone have experience with woo audio fireflies wa 7 or quad pa1 (on sale for $999).

rando

What are you referring to?

The fact of having no idea how interested anyone here might be towards this soundcard. Rarely do more than skim the latest reviews when I pop by for Fun and Learning®.

Inquisitive minds may not need be put off by the obvious gamey scent. At least in part because the CEO is actually into high end audio. He appears to be actively encouraging his age earning customers down the enlightened path.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The EVGA Nu Audio soundcard might be cheap enough to buy yourself. Or reasonably interesting if you wished to add another sound card to your tested devices. Designed in part with Audio Note in the UK it really is an odd duck. Supposedly it can drive a reasonably power hungry headphone.
We have had tons of discussions about this card going back to when it was announced. Personally I see no reason to get an internal DAC of any sort. Plugging in headphones into them is a pain and no advantage is there otherwise in cost, etc.

As to affording it, I can. Problem is if it doesn't do well, I become the last owner of it!

Regardless, I just purchased it. I will hold you all responsible if it doesn't do well. :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Regardless, I just purchased it. I will hold you all responsible if it doesn't do well.

If it doesn't perform well, I suggest you fly over to Taiwan, and discuss your review over a few LP's (comparing to digital, of course) with Mr Han.

Tup3x

We have had tons of discussions about this card going back to when it was announced. Personally I see no reason to get an internal DAC of any sort. Plugging in headphones into them is a pain and no advantage is there otherwise in cost, etc.

As to affording it, I can. Problem is if it doesn't do well, I become the last owner of it!

Regardless, I just purchased it. I will hold you all responsible if it doesn't do well. :D
This should be interesting. The design is a bit odd - if you are going to make a USB audio device, why make it internal? It's kinda lame. I'd understand it if they plan to release in external version too but if they don't... It should have been native PCI-e.

Top Bottom