• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Problem solved then!. Just ship me the backlog gear and your list and pile issues are over.

BSF - Glad its in the que.

The Loxjie product is an odd mix of strange cosmetics and disparate technologies. No web site yet and few reviews. Measurement would help, because as David St. Hubbins said, its such a fine line between stupid and clever.

ReAlien

I would be interested to see how Accurate Audio HPA-A200 clone compares to its original, Violectric HPA-V200. People have been saying it's a full clone but I guess it is impossible to claim without proper measurements.

Last edited:

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Hi it would be interesting to measure the Gan FET amplifier like the Technics SU G700. Another interesting amplifier would be the Kinki Studio EX M1

Snafu

hetzer

It will be great if there are more measurements of cheap USB audio interface. Those devices have decent dac, headphone amp and adc(+mic preamp) which is useful for listening to music and simple measurement of room acoustics or other devices. But there aren't so many measurements which is reliable and manufacturers don't provide any useful information. More measurements of entry level devices of Steinberg, Presonus, Focusrite, M-audio, etc will be helpful for ones with thin wallet.

Snafu

Interesting one: Roksan Kandy K3 DAC. price has dropped from £1399 way under £400 in less than a year.

It got one bad review and several good ones:
https://www.whathifi.com/roksan/k3-dac/review

One more suggestion if i may: tube rolling and measurements. Some basic tube amplifier pre, head or power, and compare basic tubes vs "NOS".
I'm pretty sure some tube company is ready to borrow some tubes to be tested if they actually believe all that what they say about NOS-tubes...
6SN7 or E88CC/6922 would be most interesting (schiit has both and are popular tuberolling amps, as we know from another forum...)

"yeah, and how about those KEN RADS!" :rolleyes:

Veri

Master Contributor
Interesting one: Roksan Kandy K3 DAC. price has dropped from £1399 way under £400 in less than a year.

It got one bad review and several good ones:
https://www.whathifi.com/roksan/k3-dac/review

One more suggestion if i may: tube rolling and measurements. Some basic tube amplifier pre, head or power, and compare basic tubes vs "NOS".
I'm pretty sure some tube company is ready to borrow some tubes to be tested if they actually believe all that what they say about NOS-tubes...
6SN7 or E88CC/6922 would be most interesting (schiit has both and are popular tuberolling amps, as we know from another forum...)

"yeah, and how about those KEN RADS!" :rolleyes:
You can read about some recent tube measurements in the unholy purgatory that is SBAF. It's crazy to see how much distortion/harmonics these few tube measurements exhibit! I'll stick to my solid state, TYVM :)

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Benchmark AHB2 and the new Benchmark headphone amp (compared to THX789) is on top of my wishlist.
And Neurochrome speaker amps.
And BSS BLU dsp analog out.

Veri

Master Contributor
PS Sprout 100
Pretty exhaustive measurements found here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-sprout-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Just to show the worst offender, its headphone output and its noise floor(!) :
515PSASfig19.jpg

The reviewer summed it up nicely: "Though the Sprout didn't excel in any area of measured performance, it compensates for that with its affordable price and considerable flexibility." if you need phono and integrated amp it's a neat little package, but the D/A and headphone out seems fairly bad all things considered :/ at US$ 599,00 i'm not sure it's the best value

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Considering how the oppo conquers all. I'd love to see how comparable BD player compare. Or maybe even HD-DVD players since those are practically worthless. I recently started playing CDs with my Toshiba HD-A1 and was pleasantly surprised by the SQ. Although the boot time on this things is kind of long.

Voo

does this site test any microphones for recording? I would like to get some type of recommended value system to record my home stereo from 10-20k hz...when looking for info I find either studio or vloggers/youtube info.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would be great to see Nuprime amp or DAC measured. There are no measurements on line but many magazine evaluations are praising them.

Nuprime claim superiority of their amps by using an extremely high switching frequency. It would be interesting to see the premise tested.

Their DAC10 uses a novel analog volume control method that I've only seen used in Pass gear and the headphone amp is supposed to be a power house. Full disclosure, I have both an IDA-8 and DAC10H so this suggestion isn't purely academic. :)

In general for DACs it would also be helpful to see measurements of USB isolation but I can appreciate this would be difficult for Amir. Some DACs are very susceptible to ground loops over the USB. I had to change my music lap top to a doubly insulated power supply with no earth ground, in order to avoid bit hits on my dacs. I'm surprised that so many "high end" dacs don't use transformer coupled inputs. In the mid 90s I converted my Sony CD player to add an spdif coax output using a coupling transformer and logic chip, and it cost a few bucks back then and killed a $1k Denon player's digi out on the lab scope. This shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of manufactures to do cheaply.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
does this site test any microphones for recording? I would like to get some type of recommended value system to record my home stereo from 10-20k hz...when looking for info I find either studio or vloggers/youtube info.
No, we don't do any microphone testing. We do have a number of people who have studios and/or record live music. So create a new thread and ask. I will ponder testing microphones for the future. :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom